Warning San Juan Airport

wyeanni

We ( a group of 10) just came back from the San Juan Airport on Sunday and were on 2 differnt air carriers ( US AIr and Spirit) going different places. Our luggage was gone through by the baggage handlers. We had TAS approved locks on all of them and they were all gone. No TSA,grey, ones were put on and not notes inside from TSA. Everything inside was very messed up. Some minor things were taken. Do NOT PUT anything in you checked bags that you would mnd loosing.

Anni in Md.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I went through San Juan with only wire ties on my bag and luckily it came through OK. I believe that the TSA always puts a note in the bag (it might be a requirement that they do so) and if there was no note you should be able to report the problem but I don't know to whom.

I was thinking that when I got to the airport I took the cruise tags off my bag (leaving my regular luggage tags on the bag of course) and that might have deterred and theives because there was no "I'm going home from vacation" flag on my bag. I don't know if this would help but it could be worth a try.

Also, the TSA approved locks are supposed to be guaranteed for replacement in the event that they are cut by an unknowing/uncaring airport person, so if you know where you bought them from or the manufacturer name you might be able to get free replacement locks. I know they are quite expensive.

I just purchased locks from Magellans, which are TSA approved, and Magellans will replace the locks throughout their lifetime if TSA breaks them, not realizing in haste, that they are, indeed, TSA locks.

San Juan seems to be more of a hassle as time goes by...

I never lock my luggage...and my boyfriend is a baggage handler for United...LOL. Everything that I would be worried about losing goes in my carry-on. No one has ever disturbed anything in my bags. I travel by air around 3-4 times a year.

I hate to admit it but SJU is the only airport that stuff has been missing from our luggage. Good idea about taking off the cruise luggage tags.

For some reason, they must love the US flag in PR as our luggage had two each on them and all were missing when we picked up our luggage off the carosel. :mad:

Just got mine from Brookstone, 4 number combo lock. $20 a pair and come in 4 or 5 colors. It can't hurt... However, anything of value should not leave your sight, prudent thinking over the years I suppose. You can probably find them in a luggage store, but be sure they're TSA approved.

I bought TSA locks for 7.99 at a Samsonite Luggage outlet store. San Juan Airport was crazy! We waited till Monday to fly home thinking it would not be as busy as Sunday after the cruise. On Monday, the line at American was incredible. Luckily, we found a porter who took us up to the express counter where we inserted a credit card for id and our boarding passes popped out. All we had to do then was wait a minute for them to call our names. Had all the potential for disaster, but was pretty seamless.

The hotel had told us that an 1 1/2 hours was enough time, but we are glad we went earlier than that. WHAT A MESS!!!

We haven't locked our bags since 9/11 and have never had any inspected or rifled until the last trip when one of our three bags was opened and inspected. A note to that effect was placed in the bag and a cable tie on the zippers. Have decided to buy the TSA approved locks thru Magellan for future trips. I think it's a good idea from airport to ship and back, too. But we also put valuables in our carry-ons.

Archived