Coral Princess Panama Canal help

Coolmama_1

Hey there!

We are trying to organize a 2008 Spring family cruise. We are looking at the date range from Jan to April. DH is a pastor so we are trying to avoid date ranges that involve 2 Sundays. There are 3 or 4 to choose from.Here are my questions.

1. Which month would be best to go in? We can possible do the 3/26 , 4/15 or 2/5 (but that does include Ash Wed.) THere may be one in Jan as well

2. We love the minisuites and that would probably be a deal breaker for DH! Which ones are best? Should we book the bump out or not?

Thanks,

Judy

I can't help you with the month's that you are looking to travel, we sailed in November right before Thanksgiving. The weather was pretty good then, it was the end of the rainy season and not too warm in Central America at the time. The mini suites definitely give you more room and I would recommend one on any deck but the Dolphin deck where we were. We really would have liked to had the cover on the couple of evenings and the afternoon in Limon that it rained. Originally we had a bump out reserved but changed because the balcony is smaller on those cabins and we like to spend a lot of time on our balcony. As far as a better view from one of the bump outs, I didn't think we had any less a view from the cabin we did have, even during the transit through Gatun Locks. It's a very relaxing itinerary, and one of our favorite cruises.

My wife and I have traveled twice to Panama Canal on the Coral once in Jan and the other in March both times it rained and we were happy we chose a room that was covered. This allowed us to be outside and still watch as we went through the canal. The weather always seems to change the closer you get to the equator.

We went thru the Canal on the Island, sister ship to Coral. We had a mini on the Dolphin deck. No cover, but we loved it.. it actually felt like we were on top of the water with the sky above (if that makes any sense).

Having said that, we were on the Coral to Alaska and had a mini-suite in one of the bumpouts. This is by far the best cabin we have ever booked on any ship. The balcony wasn't as big as the Dolphin deck (the bumpout was on Caribe), but we had the best view because the balcony wraps around, with the front and one side completely unobstructed.

We like the minisuites, not only for the extra space, but for a bigger shower area!

We've done the Coral around the 3/26 date. I wouldn't go around that date ever again. We had to because our kids had Spring Break then. So did over 500 or 600 other kids on the ship. :eek:

Out of all our cruises, this one was the absolute worst as far as kids being out of control. The cruise itself was probably one of my favorites, but the out of control kids did put a damper on it.

If I were you, I'd go on the 4/15 cruise or the 2/5 cruise. I believe you'll have less kids on either of those sailings.

We had 2 Dolphin Deck minis (1 for our 2 sons; 1 for us) in the 500's and loved the location. I would avoid the cabins in the 200's. Our tablemates had minis up there and really, really felt the movement in only 3' seas! We hardly felt a thing midship.

I am on the Coral right now and am in D715 (minisuite). We feel the same amount of motion there as anywhere else on the ship. However, the higher the deck the more motion was felt. On deck 12 it was pretty bad at times. Our deck that the cabin was on wasn't as bad. It has been pretty rough this trip. We get back home on Monday. I would prefer a more central cabin but really like our cabin now. We went out to the back just a few steps away going through the Canal. It was a much better view than from our balcony. This is our third time through the canal. We have gone as late as May and it gets too hot then. April would be the best month to go if you can. It wasn't too hot while we were there this time but we did have a bit more rain too. However, the rain stops as fast as it begins. Just bring rain gear with you so you don't miss anything!

We did the full transit on the coral last may. We had fantastic and hot weather until we hit San Fransico. It was cold and windy there, and the next 3 days north to Vancouver were cooler also. We didn't use our balcony a lot after we left Cabo.

It was a fantastic cruise and would do it again!!!!

Hi Everyone,

I just returned from the December 2 Coral cruise and am going again on February 7 cruise (it was an excellent experience.

Anyway, the formal nights will be your second night on the ship and the second to the last sea day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful time on the Coral--I only wish I wanted to go to Alaska so I could book another cruise in May! :)

Happy sailing!

VB1

on the Coral Princess. It was a covered mini and wonderful!! We went the beginning of May and the weather was gorgeous. Not as hot as when we came through the other direction in September 2004.

Click on the link below to see photos of our mini and balcony. They are in Sea Two although there are other pics throughout....especially going through the Canal.

Have fun whatever you decide to do, Denise

We actually turned down an "upgrade" from our cat. BA on the Caribe deck to a mini - the balconies are twice the size. Plenty of room for 2 to relax, have a meal, or have company. Half covered, half open. Same square footage as the minis, but the difference is the balcony - 4' less inside, 4' more outside. Do it again in a heartbeat.

Have been on the Coral twice: Panama canal in a minisuite on Baja forward port side and Alaska in a minisuite on Caribe deck midship starboard. Loved them both, but preferred the coverage of the the balcony on Caribe. However, we loved the forward cabin on the Panama cruise as we could easily go out on the front deck for viewing.

Archived