Has Anyone Left without Luggage?

Arizona Laura

I do not remember reading about this topic, but has anyone had the airlines lose their luggage or their luggage not arriving till after the ship left? When changing planes it is a little concern since have seen it happen to enough friends and family over the years.

What are the best items to bring in carry on bags besides medication. Docs will go in purse of course.

Happy New Year....Laura

I carry a change of underwear and a shirt. I guess I could also carry an additional outfit.

There were many cruisers whose luggage was delayed on our Dec. 23 cruise. This was due to extreme weather and delayed and cancelled flights. We also received notice in our cabin that luggage had been "lost" and to check your cabin to make sure that you did not have someone else's luggage.

In a pinch, you could rent formal wear from Carnival or buy some sweatpants or shorts and a t-shirt :(

I remember someone last year posting in their review that their luggage met them at their first port. The airline put it on a later flight than they were on and it didn't have time to get to the ship before they left. In that case, the airline worked with the cruiseline. What I don't remember is whether the cruiseline had set u the flight to begin with or not so I don't know if that influenced the cooperation. Since we haven't flown to a cruise yet, I don't pack extra. This next cruise we'll be in San Diego for several days beforehand so it shouldn't be a problem.

Just remember to check your airline/airport's website before you leave on what is allowed in your carryon, when we flew in Sept. girls were having there makeup taken away from them, no liquids! Medication must be in original package, again check regulations.

We live a few minutes from the port so we dont have to worry about missing it from a plane and we always carry our luggage on so we dont have to worry about it getting lost or somehow misplaced etc, but my dad always said, as long as you have your tickets, your passport, and a credit card, you can do just fine! lol

We live a few minutes from the port so we dont have to worry about missing it from a plane and we always carry our luggage on so we dont have to worry about it getting lost or somehow misplaced etc, but my dad always said, as long as you have your tickets, your passport, and a credit card, you can do just fine! lol

In 2004 we had a Hawaii Cruise with NCL and the airline lost the one bag that had my wedding dress in it. Yeah that kinda freaked me out. We were scheduled to renew our vows on the beach in Kauai the 2nd day of the cruise. Turns out it was flown to a different island and NCL tracked it down for me and the dress was delivered to my cabin 2 hours before our ceremony!

Another trip, on of my Dad's bags was destroyed by the cruise line as it was being loaded on the ship. We got to the room after dinner that first night to find a brand new leather suitcase full of new goodies to match what Dad had in his original bag. They even replaced his old nasty electric razor with a nice Braun and bought him new underwear, etc. He was thrilled. He said the stuff he lost in the original bag was all crap anyway. 18 years later he still has that nice suitcase and the fancy bathrobe they bought him.

I figure as long as I have my id, passport, credit cards, and meds with me I can come up with whatever else I need!

One of our lovely CCers had just such an occurance. We jokingly refer to it as her "naked" cruise. Her plane was late and she made it to the ship, but her luggage did not and the airline simply sent it back to her original airport.

Thank goodess it was a shorter cruise with the girls AND she had bought travel insurance.

While it was not a pleasant experience, she handled like the traveling pro she is!!!

Personally, my "40 pounds of natural beauty" never leaves my side. (in my pilot's bag) The documents, passports etc are always in my purse. The rest we can "work around".

In February 2005 we did a 7 days cruise, the airline lost all of our luggage. We received out luggage when we disembarked from the cruise, put it back on the plane and they lost two of the four bags coming home for two more days! We also kept all of our receipts and we were reimbursed over $900.00 for everything we had to buy, from clothing to contact lens solution. It was mostly this costly because my dh is a big and tall guy - which made his clothing replacement hard to find and very expensive.

The lesson we learned, we still had fun (we were still on vacation), we really didn't need all those things we packed (certainly less clothing), always put your cruise line luggage tags on your luggage BEFORE you fly and never to fly USAir again. BTW, Carnival was wonderful to us during this cruise, they gave us free laundry service made several calls and kept us informed (we did not get the travel insurance through carnival). Although the airline was given all the information as to which ship we were on, they claimed we never gave it to them.

Yes we had luggage lost-still haven't received it. One bag joined us at the second port of call, but the other one is still travelling.

Lessons learned...

1. Cross pack all suitcases. (this way no one family member is stuck, like my husband was)

2. They DO NOT sell a large selection of clothing on the cruise ship. (very limited size selections, although t-shirts were plentiful)

3. Especially women...no lingerie at all on the ship.

4. Take a change of clothes in a carry-on. *We did not receive our luggage until 2nd day (after missing cruise departure), but that's another story.

The airline lost a suitcase that belonged to one of the ladies in my group on my last cruise. Carnival and the airline worked close together to get her bag to the first port. In the meantime, Carnival provided her with everything she needed including a free formal rental for formal night. We also shared our clothes with her - it helped that she was travelling with 8 other women :) I thnk your best defense it to make sure you have a change of clothes ands some essentials in a carry-on and to put some of each person's clothes in each suitcase.

Archived