Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

Had a shakey start but what an amazing adventure! Great Tour of the Island, The monkeys and birds will make me smile for years to come. The Beach washed away every care that i had. Our Driver and guide Al really loves his Island and showed us each and every aspect of it. He was funny and extremely knowledgable and would definately take this excursion again and highly recommend this to everyone, Families and individuals also. Thanks Al for an awesome day.

We enjoyed our Best of Roatan tour with Bodden Tours. After disembarking from the Oceania Riviera their kiosk was easy to find and they had all our information. We were whisked off to our car and met our driver Howard. He was very informative and knowledgeable. We drove around the island, stopping when we wanted, and had a great day.

The roads are very bumpy with many potholes. Howard did a great job navigating around them, but be advised if you get car sick or can't take bumpy roads, this might not be the tour for you.

Had a terrific time with our driver/tour guide Lionel. Lionel was terrific knowing interesting and basic stuff about Roatan and Honduras. Can't say enough about Lionel and ease of working with Bodden tours and Roatan is beautiful.

Loved visiting the monkeys too

Our guide Laura was great. I can't say enough good things about Her. The Monkeys were amazing, plan to spend some time there . We went to the aboritium and west end, both were excellent. We asked Laura to take us to an authentic resturant in west end and we were not disappointed. Laura took us by a supermarket on the way back and we picked up some cool items you can't get in the US. Awesome day!

If you are going and have the time and desire, Laura was telling us that the schools in Roatan are in great need of supplies, as well as the children. My wife and I wished we knew this ahead of time. We would have loved to take our daughter and donate some supplies. It is easy if you plan ahead and bring them with you, but shipping things to Roatan later is really cost prohibitive.

Edited by Ak907

• 2 weeks later...

We toured with Victor Bodden on March 25th on Navigator of the Seas. AMAZING DAY, highly recommend. We did the fun n sun, and I strongly suggest you go see the monkeys and birds. THe beach was clean and relaxing. We will be back.

Tex is the best tour guide I have had on any of my 18 cruises. I hope he is still working for Victor Bodden. He was wonderful. I have to say our tour in 2009 was the most unique and personal tour I have ever experienced.

I encourage everyone to not just stay at the man-made cruise port. Get out and see this beautiful island.

Tex was great. He took us to see dolphins from his dock, found me the bowl that was being sold on the beach for a better price and communicated with the boat we were snorkeling off of so that he would meet us the minute we returned.

Also, emailed us a picture of children enjoying the supplies we brought.

No one does it better :-).

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give Victor Bodden a 10+++. We did the "Best Of Roatan, with Howard as our driver. Howard was wonderful!!! Our friends' driver who we met up with had Ronald as know as "Ronald McDonald", who was also wonderful!!! Howard took us where ever we wanted to go, gave us interesting local information. Howard and Ronald had our groups connect after a couple of hours so we could all be together. The Monkeys were AMAZING! The zip lining was SOOO MUCH FUN!!! I would HIGHLY recommend Victor Bodden!

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little confused on the pricing. So, it is $25 per person if you have 4 or more people but you pay for the things they take you to separately? So, an additional $5 for the monkeys, an additional whatever for zip lining? And you pick what you want to do so the price is really up to you after the $25 pp? This is sounding more and more like the way to go!

The Fun and Sun Tour looks great for us and only $30 per person with no additional fees since the stops are set. One question on that, though. What about lunch? It is 4-5 hours and there is no mention of stopping for food. We would be starving! Surely there is some place you can grab a bite?

Edited by BigB0882

One more question!

I am trying to decide between a private tour and the Fun and Sun. The main things I want to do are the Monkey Business and West Bay Beach so the Fun and Sun covers that BUT I also want to go the highest points to get some great pictures and maybe a grocery store as others have done and eat at a local restaurant as opposed to eating the overpriced tourist food at Bananarama. So the Private Tour hits those points better.

My question is, how much will it cost for the pass to Bananarama? I know the Monkey Business pass is $5 extra but the site doesn't list the cost for Bananarama, just that there are passes available for purchase. If the total cost for the private tour will only be $15-20 more than the Fun and Sun, we may go that way, especially if our 2 friends end up booking and want to do the tour as well (since that gets the cost per person down to $25 initially).

Edited by BigB0882

I requested Tex for our visit in May and Victor confirmed that we would have him for our Best of Roatan tour.

Tex was great. He took us to see dolphins from his dock, found me the bowl that was being sold on the beach for a better price and communicated with the boat we were snorkeling off of so that he would meet us the minute we returned.

Also, emailed us a picture of children enjoying the supplies we brought.

No one does it better :-).

Nice to hear Tex is still with Victor Bodden. I am so jealous. I sure wish I was on my way to Roatan and a tour with Tex.:):):)

Hello all

Lee & I just returned from our latest Caribbean cruise onboard the Emerald Princess by Princess Cruises April 12-19, 2015. Lee & I are really happy that we booked the "BEST OF ROATAN PRIVATE TOUR" with Victor Bodden's tour group. We got to see and experience the Island from a personnel perspective as opposed to generic bus tour. Marty Wood is an awesome tour guide. Marty was courteous & respectful, he tailored our tour to what we wanted to see & experience. He gave us a fabulous tour of the Island answered all of our questions. He showed us the highlights of the Island. We saw beautiful white sandy beaches with clear blue water. We were able to enjoy the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea for a couple of hours. When we return to the Island we will definitely book another "BEST OF ROATAN PRIVATE TOUR" and ask for Marty to be our guide.

Respectfully

Paula & Lee

Hello all

Lee & I just returned from our latest Caribbean cruise onboard the Emerald Princess by Princess Cruises April 12-19, 2015. Lee & I are really happy that we booked the "BEST OF ROATAN PRIVATE TOUR" with Victor Bodden's tour group. We got to see and experience the Island from a personnel perspective as opposed to generic bus tour. Marty Wood is an awesome tour guide. Marty was courteous & respectful, he tailored our tour to what we wanted to see & experience. He gave us a fabulous tour of the Island answered all of our questions. He showed us the highlights of the Island. We saw beautiful white sandy beaches with clear blue water. We were able to enjoy the warm waters of the Caribbean Sea for a couple of hours. When we return to the Island we will definitely book another "BEST OF ROATAN PRIVATE TOUR" and ask for Marty to be our guide.

cost of tour is $40/pp for 2pp

$25/pp for 4pp

Respectfully

Paula & Lee

1-May-2003 Celebration COZUMEL 4 Night

23-Jul-2006 Rhapsody Of The Seas Western Caribbean Cruise 7 Night

3 May 2010 Celebrity Century® Western Caribbean Cruise 7 Night

28-Apr-2012 Sapphire Princess 2012 CA Coastal 7 Night

22-Oct-2012 Carnival Triumph WESTERN CARIBBEAN 5 Night

5-May-2013 Carnival Conquest EASTERN CARIBBEAN 7 Night

18-Nov-2013 Carnival Triumph WESTERN CARIBBEAN 5 Night

26-Apr-2014 Princess Cruises Caribbean Princess Caribbean 7 Night

31-Aug-2014 CARNIVAL MAGIC EASTERN CARIBBEAN 7 Night

29-Nov-2014 Hawaii Pride of America 7-Day

12-Apr-2015 Princess Cruises Emerald Princess Caribbean 7 Night

What things did you do on your Personal Tour that costs money? I am trying to decide between the Fun and Sun since I know it will only run $30 or the Personal Tour which I don't know how much it will cost because I don't know exactly what things we would do. My main things are the Monkeys and then a nice beach so I am tempted to go with Fun and Sun but I also would like to go to some other places like some scenic views, a local restaurant and grocery store. Thinking Private Tour may be best, the only extra cost for those stops are what we spend eating and anything we buy at grocery store plus the $5 for Monkeys.

What things did you do on your Personal Tour that costs money? I am trying to decide between the Fun and Sun since I know it will only run $30 or the Personal Tour which I don't know how much it will cost because I don't know exactly what things we would do. My main things are the Monkeys and then a nice beach so I am tempted to go with Fun and Sun but I also would like to go to some other places like some scenic views, a local restaurant and grocery store. Thinking Private Tour may be best, the only extra cost for those stops are what we spend eating and anything we buy at grocery store plus the $5 for Monkeys.

We did Victor Bodden's "Best of Roatan Private Tour" last year and thought it was well worth the price and would do it again and recommend it to others. There is a day-use fee at the resort (Bananarama) at West Bay Beach which is for use of loungers, restrooms, showers, etc. That's where we went last year and believe it was $10.00 per person. I noticed on Victor's website that it's mentioned that the prices tend to change but the tour guides inform you of the actual cost.

Before our trip to Roatan last year, we were actually looking into the "Fun and Sun" tour. Our day in Roatan was a short port day (8AM - 3PM, back on board by 2:30PM) and after reading reviews which were good, but some people got very limited or no beach time (their only complaints) and that was mainly because other passengers held things up for their group, I was hesitant about that particular tour. We were in that situation before (another port) and missed out on something we really wanted to see because one other passenger continuously held things up for the whole group. This was our first trip to Roatan and we wanted to get the most our of our time there, so we booked the "Best of Roatan Private Tour" instead and we were so glad we did. Our guide for the day, Kayla, was great. She had an air conditioned van, and stopped at the grocery store first. There is a large souvenir shop right above the grocery store with typical stuff but also a lot of nice authentic carvings, bowls, etc. and that's mainly what we wanted to see and picked up a few nice things there. Next was the stop at Victors were we did pay to see the monkeys (other animals and birds as well, guide was great), a few lookouts then onto West Bay Beach.

Even though we were there a short day, we had a great time, got to see and do everything we wanted to, and feel it was definitely worth the price. Our total cost was $40.00 per person for the tour; $5.00 per person for the to see the monkeys (and other animals and birds); $10.00 per person for the day-use fee at the resort. We also spent $1.00 per person at the one lookout (one where you can see the ships) to get up to the top of the lighthouse/tower on our way back to the ship. So the cost for us, per person, was $56.00, not bad for all we saw and did since the tour was tailored for what we wanted to do. I don't know how many others you'll be traveling with, but the "Best of Roatan Private Tour" varies depending on the number of guests: $40.00 per person for 2 guests; $30.00 per person for 3 guests; $25.00 per person for four or more guests.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We took the Best of Roatan Private tour. We had a driver who took us on a all over the Island. He was a lovely and informative young man. We did the Monkey visit which was fun for us all (4 adults and a teenager). Visited the cameo factory, the rum factory, the light house a small chocolate factory and had a fantastic cup of coffee next door. We asked to have lunch at an authentic place and had a a very tasty lunch. We enjoyed the chicken so much that the driver suggested he take us to a supermarket to get the spice mix. Got coffee and spices. Most of the other things you may want to get are much cheaper in the supermarket. So if you want vanilla and other Honduras treats - that's the best place to go. Got back to the port to board the the ship in enough time to see the shops near the port as well. Well worth the price. The best way to see the Island.

March 26 saw 8 of us in our own van for a private tour. Two kids in car seats we brought.impressed that the van had a full set of working seat belts! That is rare in our experience. Lionel was our driver, and did a great job of taking us to the spots we has identified as ones we wanted to see, as well as a few spots which he thought we would enjoy. He was a fountain of information about roatan, and very proud of his homeland. The monkeys were a riot and we enjoyed watching the zip liners swing and shout past us. Lionel suggested a specific lunch spot. It was very good, but had no view over the bay which we would have enjoyed. We stopped very early for lunch as roatan is two hours earlier than ship time!

Most enjoyable day. Thanks Victor...you and your team provide a class act.

We are already researching a land trip to really get a chance to look around.

Our guide was George, and he was great! He was very friendly and easy to talk to, and took us to everywhere we wanted to go. It was only 3 of us, but he picked us up in minivan. I think he said he has been working for Victor for 12 years. We had such a great day, we would love to go back to Roatan. And when we do, we will ask for George! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are officially booked for the Fun and Sun Tour. Everything we really wanted to do is available on the Fun and Sun tour so didn't feel the need to do the Private Tour. Plus we think it would be fun to possibly make new friends who come along. On our last cruise we didn't really branch out and make friends, going to try and change that this time around.

We are officially booked for the Fun and Sun Tour. Everything we really wanted to do is available on the Fun and Sun tour so didn't feel the need to do the Private Tour. Plus we think it would be fun to possibly make new friends who come along. On our last cruise we didn't really branch out and make friends, going to try and change that this time around.

Offer a round of adult beverages to the people on your transport... friends you will make. :0)

Enjoy the island!

• 4 weeks later...

Jerry was our guide and let me tell you...HE IS AWESOME! I had researched several months prior to our cruise for the perfect excursion. I wanted to have one catered to my habit – my photography habit. After hours (and hours and hours) of reading, digging, reviewing, etc., I became quite confident in one thing…the tour company.

Victor Bodden Tours scored high rankings on every site I found. Every review was superb and there was nothing negative about this company that I could find…anywhere. I contacted the company and received a reply from Victor. I had requested one of three different guides I had read rave reviews on and he assigned one of them to us.

This tour was a private tour – just the four of us from our party and we could go anywhere we wanted for as long as we wanted. I really wanted to see what Roatan was all about. See the people – the locals and their land.

When we arrived at our appointed place at the appointed time, I was informed that our appointed guide would not be available. I admit, I was disappointed. We were introduced to our guide, Jerry, and he led us to our car for the day.

As we headed out of the port area and into “real” Roatan, Jerry assured us he would take us to the highlights of the island and would satisfy my heart’s desire to give me my photog-habit fix. (He also assured my friend that he would take her to satisfy her heart’s desire and give her a shopping fix.) He did not disappoint.

We traveled all over the island. Jerry showed us the schools, the villages, the highlights, the overlooks for views, yes and shopping. Jerry showed us all over his Roatan and made us feel like we were a part of the family.

Jerry turned out to be the very best guide for us! At the end of our day, he even directed us to the most wonderful restaurant where we sat at the water’s edge and had the freshest, most delicious seafood meal and met the owner of the restaurant. I’m quite sure He had just come in from fishing for our food. We enjoyed the meal with Jerry as he showed us the proper way to eat the pepper sauce that sat on the table. Yum, my mouth is watering just thinking about it now.

If you are ever in Roatan, I highly recommend Victor Bodden Tours and especially Jerry as your guide.

Taken from my blog post review which includes photos at PhotosAndFacets.com