Travel The World with Bill & Mary Ann HAL's Grand World Voyage 2007

WCB

You guys are great including not only your experiences but photos as well.

We will be glued to this site (already have it bookmarked) to check daily.

We're on the 2008, so have a couple of questions about dining room tables.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of upstairs and downstairs? What size table do you recommend? (we've learned NEVER to get a 4-person table!) We usually prefer at least 6, preferably 8. And, following up your comment, how does one diplomatically ask to change tables? Do they tend to put you with people from your booking agency? At least we would have met those folks at the pre-cruise dinner.

BTW, we've booked the 8/27 Amsterdam to Alaska just to check out the ship, since we've never been on that particular one.

We're on the 2008, so have a couple of questions about dining room tables.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of upstairs and downstairs? What size table do you recommend? (we've learned NEVER to get a 4-person table!) We usually prefer at least 6, preferably 8. And, following up your comment, how does one diplomatically ask to change tables? Do they tend to put you with people from your booking agency? At least we would have met those folks at the pre-cruise dinner.

BTW, we've booked the 8/27 Amsterdam to Alaska just to check out the ship, since we've never been on that particular one.

There are usually opportunities to change tables at the end of the segments. Some people get off, some get on. A word to the Maitre d' that you would like to change at the next segment would probably be honored. Just tell your present tablemates that you prefer to change tabes at the segment breaks as a way of meeting more people, or that you have found some couples that you share common interests with and want to get to know them better. We had 9 different couples at our table for 8 during the 2005 world cruise.

WCB

I just discovered this thread and am delighted that you are carrying the torch this year.

I was depressed when I learned that Grumpy is drydocked for a while and wont be reporting on SA as planned so this was a particularly nice surprise.

When you have time, could you let us know who the ACD's and God Squad are this year. I hope Ben is running the sea day trivia contests.

If you meet Melisa (she of the radient smile) and John, please say hello frome Terry and Claire.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy now but will be lurking daily.

Ides

WCB

I just discovered this thread and am delighted that you are carrying the torch this year.

I was depressed when I learned that Grumpy is drydocked for a while and wont be reporting on SA as planned so this was a particularly nice surprise.

When you have time, could you let us know who the ACD's and God Squad are this year. I hope Ben is running the sea day trivia contests.

If you meet Melisa (she of the radient smile) and John, please say hello frome Terry and Claire.

Ides

Hi Ides! I'm glad to see you back on the boards!! I know that you are most likey going to enjoy this since we all enjoyed your blog last year!!

So the big question is , are you on the next world cruise :D :D !!

WCB

Ides

Hi Ides! I'm glad to see you back on the boards!! I know that you are most likey going to enjoy this since we all enjoyed your blog last year!!

WCB

Ides

WCB

Ides

Report # 5 1-17-07 Wednesday 2nd Day at Sea

We finally got settled in our cabin. Hurrah! Now after breakfast and our walk, it's time for some relaxation and reading by the pool. The largest pool is on the aft deck 8, just two flights up from our cabin. There were actually empty loungs chairs everywhere. We didn't even see any chairs being saved wth books or bags!

The temperature is deceivingly warm with a few scattered clouds. When the sun appeared, it was HOT. Even though we usedlots of sunscreen, it was impossible not to burn in a short time. The water in the pool was freash, not salt, but really cool. It was fun watching the people jump in and turn blue!

We visited with new friends as well as read our books a bit. Kind of lost track of time (oops) and got toasted. We should know better to be careful in this tropical sun. It just feels so good to enjoy the sunshine.

Tonight was the Captain' Welcome Onboard Champagne Party in the Queen's Lounges. While we e-mailed from the balcony of the Ocean Bar, we could see the receiving line begin for the early dinner guests. And it was only 4:15. The line moved very slowly as pictures were taken of everyone in their formal attire, then proceeded to greet the captain and some of his staff.

When our turn came for the party, we decided to go late. The timing was perfect........we were the last to shake Captain Edward's hand, and the photographers were gone. We have so many of these types of pictures, that we opt out now. Since all the seats were taken on the lower level, we headed upstairs and sat near the balcony. What a good spot. We could see everyone and had a perfect view for the introduction given by the captain. And much to our surprise, a waiter came upstairs to take our drink orders. Instead of the usual champagne or wine, we ordered our whiskey and scotch with no problem. Good deal.

A very striking, well-dressed woman was standing all alone near us. She turned out to be Appolonia, the captain's wife. Now, we recalled meeting both her and the captain on a previous cruise in 1998. Don't know if they were married then.

The dinner was a bit late again, but all looked quite nice in the formal wear. We all cleaned up well! And being a formal evening, we had the head security officer join our table. He's a young fellow from India, and we think he was a bit overwhelmed by us. At one point in the evening, he started choking on some food, and had to leave the table on a dead run. We thought he may not come back, but he did. We teased Shirley, who sat next to him, that she chased him away!

The dinner was excellent, with 8 entrees offered, as well as 2 alternates. That's pretty impressive.

Time to call it a night,

Bill & Mary Ann

Report # 5 1-17-07 Wednesday 2nd Day at Sea

We finally got settled in our cabin. Hurrah! Now after breakfast and our walk, it's time for some relaxation and reading by the pool. The largest pool is on the aft deck 8, just two flights up from our cabin. There were actually empty loungs chairs everywhere. We didn't even see any chairs being saved wth books or bags!

The temperature is deceivingly warm with a few scattered clouds. When the sun appeared, it was HOT. Even though we usedlots of sunscreen, it was impossible not to burn in a short time. The water in the pool was freash, not salt, but really cool. It was fun watching the people jump in and turn blue!

We visited with new friends as well as read our books a bit. Kind of lost track of time (oops) and got toasted. We should know better to be careful in this tropical sun. It just feels so good to enjoy the sunshine.

Tonight was the Captain' Welcome Onboard Champagne Party in the Queen's Lounges. While we e-mailed from the balcony of the Ocean Bar, we could see the receiving line begin for the early dinner guests. And it was only 4:15. The line moved very slowly as pictures were taken of everyone in their formal attire, then proceeded to greet the captain and some of his staff.

When our turn came for the party, we decided to go late. The timing was perfect........we were the last to shake Captain Edward's hand, and the photographers were gone. We have so many of these types of pictures, that we opt out now. Since all the seats were taken on the lower level, we headed upstairs and sat near the balcony. What a good spot. We could see everyone and had a perfect view for the introduction given by the captain. And much to our surprise, a waiter came upstairs to take our drink orders. Instead of the usual champagne or wine, we ordered our whiskey and scotch with no problem. Good deal.

A very striking, well-dressed woman was standing all alone near us. She turned out to be Appolonia, the captain's wife. Now, we recalled meeting both her and the captain on a previous cruise in 1998. Don't know if they were married then.

The dinner was a bit late again, but all looked quite nice in the formal wear. We all cleaned up well! And being a formal evening, we had the head security officer join our table. He's a young fellow from India, and we think he was a bit overwhelmed by us. At one point in the evening, he started choking on some food, and had to leave the table on a dead run. We thought he may not come back, but he did. We teased Shirley, who sat next to him, that she chased him away!

The dinner was excellent, with 8 entrees offered, as well as 2 alternates. That's pretty impressive.

Time to call it a night,

Bill & Mary Ann

Enjoying your report Bill & Mary Ann! Having a great time "traveling along" with you:)

Got a feeling that Apollonia, the captain's wife, used to be a social hostess on HAL when that position was still on the ships. Pretty sure that she was a top Dutch and international photo model and movie actress before that time.

I do hope it's not too late to jump aboard and follow along on your cruise. I just came ashore myself and am only now catching up.

I'm looking forward to a great ride! :D

Yes, Apollonia was a Social Hostess back in the days. I remember her from my first trans-At on the Amsterdam in '01. I believe she was not yet married to the Captain then. I found her to be a most gracious, lovely lady. No wonder he was smitten with her.

Bill and MaryAnn- You just got rid of your winter paleness, great way to start a trip of a lifetime!!;)

Enjoy the sun, we are still really chilly here in the Bay Area/Sacramento Valley!!!:eek:

Thanks again for letting us come along!!:D

Hello from susiesails. I have been away for a very long time. I have been pretty ill but couldn't miss the world cruise.

Oh man, I sure wish i was going on this one too, but I wouldnt be able to do much, so will take the armchair cruise instead.

Bill and Mary Ann, you have me sighing with delight and nostalgia. I will be closely following your exploits with envy and joy for you.

Keep up the good work. susiesails

Bill & Mary Ann, I am enjoying your posts. I feel like I'm cruising with you. Maybe one day I will be on a world cruise! (In my dreams). I wish you could put a sticky on this thread so it could be on the top and we could see you as soon as we open the Hal boards. I hate it when I don't see it on the first page and have to go looking for it. (this evening with all the problems with the boards I was afraid it had been lost)

Keep us posted we will be waiting for the next installment. And have a wonderful trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen

We received an email from CC members CruisinTexans today. They passed on a cute story about the couple in the suite next to theirs. It seems that when HAL offered unlimited luggage pickup and delivery for certain categories, they did not state that it actually had to be luggage. That couple now has their favorite recliner in their cabin, picked up at their home and delivered to the ship, courtesy of HAL.

Grumpy,

That is the funniest cruise story I have ever read! I haven't stopped laughing since I read it. I do hope you are feeling 100% by now.

Bill and Mary Ann,

I too am enjoying your postings and am looking forward to reading each and everyone of them.

Jennie

That couple now has their favorite recliner in their cabin, picked up at their home and delivered to the ship, courtesy of HAL.

All kidding aside, though ... especially if someone in that suite suffers from a bad back ... having a comfortable recliner in the suite could be a lifesaver on such a long itinerary. LOL ... though I tend to doubt HAL is happy about picking up the freight on that piece. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Grumpy,

That is the funniest cruise story I have ever read! I haven't stopped laughing since I read it. I do hope you are feeling 100% by now.

Bill and Mary Ann,

I too am enjoying your postings and am looking forward to reading each and everyone of them.

Jennie

Yep dwarfs can tell the dandiest stories, leg pulling and all, I am sitting here with tears cascading down my face. Thanks grumpy, I really enjoy your "dumb sense of humour" :D

Bill & Mary Ann: I too am eagerly awaiting your posts from your journey. I was so frustrated yesterday when I got on to the computer only to find that the cruise critic message boards weren't available at all. Thanks for all your posts so far.

Marnie

that's too funny. LOL! are you pulling our collective leg?
Now Grumpy has been known to pull a leg or two.... but not this time. Here's the quote from the email I received from friends that are on board:

I think, when I was describing our tablemates I forgot to mention that Phyllis shipped a LazyBoy recliner as part of her free shipping. They have a suite down the hall and I am dying to take a picture of her in her LazyBoy and send it out as a postcard. When the chief engineer dined at our table I was ribbing Phyllis about her chair and the engineer said, “Oh, so you are the one that shipped that” I’m sure they will start putting some restrictions on the free shipping now.