Passports Required as of January 23,2007

Dancinfeet

Did you know that as of January23, 2007 everyone will be required to have a valid passport for travel to or from Mexico, Canada,the Caribbean,Bermuda, Central America, and South America ? A drivers license or birth certificate will no longer be suffficient.

I received an e-mail from Travelocity regarding the change since we have booked our next cruise on the Jewel with them. We have had passports for a few years. They are good for quite a few years, but it does take a little while to get them. Just thought you might want to know about this in case you have a cruise planned and were not aware of the change.

Did you know that as of January23, 2007 everyone will be required to have a valid passport for travel to or from Mexico, Canada,the Caribbean,Bermuda, Central America, and South America ? A drivers license or birth certificate will no longer be suffficient.

I received an e-mail from Travelocity regarding the change since we have booked our next cruise on the Jewel with them. We have had passports for a few years. They are good for quite a few years, but it does take a little while to get them. Just thought you might want to know about this in case you have a cruise planned and were not aware of the change.

Doesn't apply to cruising until 2008. There is a sticky about this and it has been discussed endlessly....

That requirement is only for AIR travel. See below:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

Did you know that as of January23, 2007 everyone will be required to have a valid passport for travel to or from Mexico, Canada,the Caribbean,Bermuda, Central America, and South America ?
Other than the newest CC members, you'd have to have been living under a rock not to have known about the passports for months. And, for that matter, known what the true position is.

Or, in other words, oh no, not another passport thread.

Well let's be honest... it is a little confusing if you happen to be cruising from a port NOT in the US. That would mean you still need a passport for your cruise this year, but only b/c of the port location. Like I said, can be confusing.

Sorry I opened up a can of worms. I only posted exactly what I received from Travelocity word for word . I hope you are all correct about the passports. We have ours so we will have no problem.

Everyone enjoy your next cruise and have a great day.

I hope you are all correct about the passports.

lolol Oh that should go over big, they just told you that what you posted is incorrect and you post you still are not sure rather than go find out for yourself and admit you are wrong?? I am sure the email you claim to be quoting, did not specifically say you had to have a passport for cruising by January 2007, you misquoted it.

Im fairly new here so have not read the other threads, I do however read. The news was in the Travel section of our newspaper the weekend after it was changed and I have had travel sites email me with the last passport requirements, mid 2008 for most cruises, the exceptions noted above.

lolol Oh that should go over big, they just told you that what you posted is incorrect and you post you still are not sure rather than go find out for yourself and admit you are wrong?? I am sure the email you claim to be quoting, did not specifically say you had to have a passport for cruising by January 2007, you misquoted it.

Im fairly new here so have not read the other threads, I do however read. The news was in the Travel section of our newspaper the weekend after it was changed and I have had travel sites email me with the last passport requirements, mid 2008 for most cruises, the exceptions noted above.

Wow, Firefly. Don't hold back.

Sorry I opened up a can of worms. I only posted exactly what I received from Travelocity word for word . I hope you are all correct about the passports. We have ours so we will have no problem.

Everyone enjoy your next cruise and have a great day.

If that is the case then find yourself another Travel agency that knows what they are talking about. Your information is plain wrong.

That being said everyone should have a passport by now but many will not and won't have a clue that they are needed now by air or when they become needed by sea.

Just like there are always some that show up to board with NO required documentation and are blown away that they can't board. and again when they are told sorry no refund.

Other than the newest CC members, you'd have to have been living under a rock not to have known about the passports for months. And, for that matter, known what the true position is.

Or, in other words, oh no, not another passport thread.

then why did you open it - just skip it - that way people who are trying to be helpful will not be shot down with "not another ..." whatever

I don't think Congress will delay passports again this year. So if you wish to visit another country next year, whether by flying or by cruising, you should get your passport this year before the rush.

The only location next year when you won't need a passport is Hawaii, all of their intineraries are for US ports of call, except for the one of the Pride of Aloha's which goes to Kiribiti. You'll need a passport for that one.

This is totally incorrect. As of January passports will be needed for all air travel outside the US. NOT cruises. Cruisers will be required in January 2008.

It is a good idea to have one on a cruise in case you need to fly home from a port.

And you are incorrect. It is not for travel outside of the USA that is the requirement - man, get it right. It's the USA that is imposing this regulation not the foreign countries (like Canada and Mexico).

As of January 23, 2007 all travellers wanting access to the USA via AIR TRAVEL will be required to have a passport to gain entry into the USA - this includes US citizens.

If I (as a Canadian) were to fly to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico from Vancouver, BC I could travel on my Birth Certificate and Gov. Photo ID *Providing* that the air carrier does not touch US soil at anytime during the travel.

This requirement coming into play next Tuesday is only for travel INTO the USA. However, having a passport makes ANY travel much simpler.

Well let's be honest... it is a little confusing if you happen to be cruising from a port NOT in the US. That would mean you still need a passport for your cruise this year, but only b/c of the port location. Like I said, can be confusing.

I agree, it is confusing. IMO, the OP felt he was passing on valuable information to fellow cruisers. I don't think there was any ill will on his part. Therefore, I can't understand the harsh tone of some of the posts.

I agree, it is confusing. IMO, the OP felt he was passing on valuable information to fellow cruisers. I don't think there was any ill will on his part. Therefore, I can't understand the harsh tone of some of the posts.

That's because it's not new information and has been discussed over and over. Like Globaliser said, unless you have been living under a rock, there's no excuse for not knowing this, especially less than a week before it's implemented.

I read the OP message and laughed and thought "oh, my someone hasn't been following current events".

I may be new but this is what I was able to pull off of NCL's website.

U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling outside Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean require a valid passport for travel. NCL recommends that passports be valid for at least six months after the return date of travel. Documentary and visa requirements are continually subject to change, therefore, it is the client's responsibility to verify individual documentary and visa requirements with their travel professional, local immigration offices or those respective embassies or consulates that pertain to the cruise itinerary prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. Unless otherwise stipulated, visas cannot be obtained upon arrival at the vessel, therefore passengers will not be permitted to board. In most cases, multiple-entry visas are required. There can be no refund of a cruise fare if a guest is prevented from boarding, denied entry into another country or subject to a fine, for lack of proper documentation.

I may be new but this is what I was able to pull off of NCL's website.

U.S. and Canadian citizens traveling outside Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean require a valid passport for travel. NCL recommends that passports be valid for at least six months after the return date of travel. Documentary and visa requirements are continually subject to change, therefore, it is the client's responsibility to verify individual documentary and visa requirements with their travel professional, local immigration offices or those respective embassies or consulates that pertain to the cruise itinerary prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases. Unless otherwise stipulated, visas cannot be obtained upon arrival at the vessel, therefore passengers will not be permitted to board. In most cases, multiple-entry visas are required. There can be no refund of a cruise fare if a guest is prevented from boarding, denied entry into another country or subject to a fine, for lack of proper documentation.

This has always been the case:rolleyes: Can`t remember when anyone did not need a passport for Europe......Asia......South America.......Africa, etc.:rolleyes:

can some one post the beating a dead horse avatar....All I said was that it has been discussed endlessly. Just because someone sends you something doesn't mean it should be posted....sort of look BEFORE you leap....or in tech terms GIGO- garbage in garbage out. and I believe everyone should have a passport

We (party of 6) do not have current passports. I contacted RCCL because I thought I might like to cruise with them. As we are Canadians leaving from Vancouver (no air involved) round trip to Alaska and returning to Vancouver, do we need a passport. She said no, HOWEVER, if there was a medical emergency on board or at home and had to be flown home, we would not be able to, we would have to continue the cruise, as we do not have passports. Since this cruise was more expensive, I decided to stick with NCL and now we are in the process of getting passports.

DH is Canadian and we live in Canada. (I'm an American.) We saw a similar statement on the NCL website so DH has gotten his passport, better safe than sorry. But with this discussion going on I decided to go straight to the horse's mouth - and I found that even the Dept of Homeland Security has several different statements on their website, some discussing foreigners and some only discussing US citizens, so I don't blame people or companies at all for being confused.

In the end, this is what I came up with:

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security.

The January 23, 2007 date is purely for air travel.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Teri

We (party of 6) do not have current passports. I contacted RCCL because I thought I might like to cruise with them. As we are Canadians leaving from Vancouver (no air involved) round trip to Alaska and returning to Vancouver, do we need a passport. She said no, HOWEVER, if there was a medical emergency on board or at home and had to be flown home, we would not be able to, we would have to continue the cruise, as we do not have passports. Since this cruise was more expensive, I decided to stick with NCL and now we are in the process of getting passports.

The problem that you can run into with Alaska is that if you do have a medical emergency, like you said, you couldn't be flown home because you would most likely be flown home from a US city. This is going to be fun next week at the airports around the world (especially in Canada and the US).

Hi Jerhard, I followed up on your suggestion for a certified copy of my Canadian Passport and got one and you where correct regarding the surrendering, as was I ! We are off in the morning to Fanning and Hawaii, thanks again for your advise. Tom

Archived