Journey/Quest : 'Open Dining'?

tom_uk

Maybe all of us Xpediters can have a reunion on one of these new Celebrity ships in our search for another unique vacation. I am in the planning stages for an early spring 2008 vacation. Too bad Windstar is sooo expensive-they have a Costa Rica trip that looks interesting, with the small ship experience.

The European river cruises with Viking come close-excursions are included. But they are in Europe which is a mighty costly place to travel to now with the weak dollar. Already done Yangtze River and Great Barrier Reef, will be doing the Nile River this November. Any suggestions?

Susie

Great idea, Suzy. We're booked on the B2B Mercury cruises from Sydney to Auckland and Auckland to Honolul in Feb/March 2008, so....that will do it for cruising early next year, but would definitely be interested in another timeframe. We've been talking about a European river cruise for some time, but haven't come up with one that we can't live without. It's a shame that there isn't a river coursing through Italy...would love to do that. If there is a small ship that we can afford an Italy/Greece tour would be great - small ships can dock in smaller ports that the big cruise ships can't do. Any ideas are welcome....

Shelia:

There is a river in northern Italy, I believe it is the Po.

http://eurorivercruises.com/index.php

If you want some suggestions/tips for your Australia ports let me know. I just spent 2 weeks there, in Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney, so Oz is fresh in my mind. e-mail me direct:

susiesan at kc.rr.com

The Brazil/Argentina cruise that Journey will be doing Feb. and March 2008 goes to places I've never been. But you will be in Oz + NZ at that time. How about it, Frank? If I want to use FF miles to get to a cruise port for a cruise in early 2008 I have to start now looking for seats as they open up 11 months out. That's why I'm planning so far ahead before I go on the 2 vacations I have coming up for 2007.

Susie

Well, in the training session: Open Dining

The new brochures: Open Dining

The Celebrity STARDESK: Opening Dining

If I were a betting person...................

I was told thet it wouild be open seating BUT at 2 different times. Early or late open seating. Seems strange.

And what's the "butlers in every stateroom"? I can't see that and a cabin steward too.

I wish someone who cruises absolutely solo (no other "friend" sister or whatever) will tell me how they manage "open seating" other than sitting at a table completely alone.

If you are going to have to eat alone you might just as well stay in your cabin and order room service.

I have tried open seating, and was utterly miserable eating alone every night , I hate having to ask "May I share your table" .

I have tried open seating, and was utterly miserable eating alone every night , I hate having to ask "May I share your table" .

DW & I prefer open-seating, shared-table dining and have always had success in requesting sharing a table for six or eight. Seem to me that method should work just as well for solos as we occasionally are seated with solos. I know of no reason you would need to ask other pax to share a table. Our experience is with Oceania, Princess and HAL.

Fred

I wish someone who cruises absolutely solo (no other "friend" sister or whatever) will tell me how they manage "open seating" other than sitting at a table completely alone.

If you are going to have to eat alone you might just as well stay in your cabin and order room service.

Had a little talk with the Restaurant Mgr and was seated with other singles.

My guess is that it would work the way dining does at lunch time now. When you enter the dining room, you are asked if you want to sit with a group (or not). So sometimes, you can choose alone and sometimes with others. I'm not single, but we and our tablemates have always welcomed others (both single and not and all ages) to sit with us. Met some of our favorite people that way!

We will be on the first sailing of Journey to Bermuda on 5/5, so I am watching for all the info I can get ahead of time. Sure hope Celebrity puts out firm information soon so I can start planning what I will be packing. We have been on many cruises and have an assortment of formals if we need them, but I don't know what to tell friends of ours who are going and have never cruised before. They don't know what to shop for at this point.:)

We will be on the first sailing of Journey to Bermuda on 5/5, so I am watching for all the info I can get ahead of time. Sure hope Celebrity puts out firm information soon so I can start planning what I will be packing. We have been on many cruises and have an assortment of formals if we need them, but I don't know what to tell friends of ours who are going and have never cruised before. They don't know what to shop for at this point.:)

Hi,

I know for a fact that Celebrity is copying the way Oceania does their dining..so I would say think Chicos..nice pants and top or long skirt and top..no formals..no tuxes ,no suits (unless your husband really wants to)

I have been on Oceania many times and will be happy to answer any of your questions..

Jan

Archived