Journey/Quest : 'Open Dining'?

tom_uk

Is it confirmed that Celebrity Journey & Celebrity Quest will feature open dining, in the main restaurants at least? I've been reading up on how Oceania & Princess organise their R ships, and that's what they seem to do.

If that's what X do, how does everyone feel about it?

Princess operates their R class ships with traditional 2 seating dining, not an open dining room.

Having been on Pacific Princess (new), Nautica, and Regatta, I must admit that the open seating on Oceania works very well indeed.

I heard from X today it will be two seatings..so Im afraid we will all have to wait until its definite one way or the other..

Jan

Interesting as the training they (X) are giving to travel agents it is open setting.

If your info is from customer service maybe they should take the training they are giving the travel agents.

I also have been told reservations are required for all three restrauants

When we were on Pacific Princess (new), 11-03, Papeete to Sydney, we had 1st seating dining, and room seemed fairly full. Can't speak to 2nd seating - didn't pay any attention.

Princess has the two alternative restaurants open on alternating nights (one open one night and the other the next). Princess also has their Lido open 24 hrs, with food available at all times of the day and night.

Interestingly enough, Princess reduced the passenger load on both Pacific and Tahitian Princess, turned over some of the ostructed view cabins to entertainers, as they have "production shows" aboard (with reduced casts).

Of course the two ships that Celebrity is getting are like the Royal Princess (new) - deck 8 different than the other R-class ships.

Druke, can you tell me a little more ..is the dining room full for set dining?

Jan

I don't see how they could have two full seatings given the amount of space in the two alternative dining areas + the buffet area which is also open in the evening.

I believe two seatings would leave the main dining room just a tiny bit over half full at each sitting.

Well just yesterday I sat through the new Journey and Quest orientation training for agents.

Open dining they told us.

I would trust the trainers more than I would a call center.

I did not get the info from the call center but from the executive office..I do hope you are correct tho, as I prefer open seating.

Jan

Well just yesterday I sat through the new Journey and Quest orientation training for agents.

Open dining they told us.

I would trust the trainers more than I would a call center.

Babette,

Did they indicate the dress code will be all casual nights, with no formal or informal?

Thanks,

Kel

Babette,

Did they indicate the dress code will be all casual nights, with no formal or informal?

Thanks,

Kel

What I heard all nights were Country Club Casual -- no formal or informal (coat)

Our club says no blue jeans or shorts. No coat required but nice shirt.

Women -- well, I think you will see some very nice outfits as you would see in the informal.

After all, I am told very thing will be up scale on the ship

I am certainly hoping for open seat dining. When they took our reservation for Journey they asked for first or second seating. I was disappointed. Having been on one of the R ships before with open seating, I found no significant lines, versatility in dinner companions, and a lot of flexibility.

Hi Everyone !

When we made our Quest booking, we were asked if we wanted Early or Late Seating. I am surely not doubting any of the previous posts, as these people clearly know what they are talking about. I simply wonder why they are asking if we desire early or late seating, if they plan open seating. Perhaps they werent sure at that time we booked, and X is covering the bases by asking for a preference.

Personally, I will be fine no matter what they choose for Dining, but I do hope for early/late assigned seating.

It seems that X is still sorting out what they are doing with these ships, and that's understandable given the difference between these ships and the rest of their fleet (with the exception of Xpedition, but that's so totally different).

Deck 8 differences: I can see that the Oceania ships (from the early R bilds, I believe) have a range of cabin types along the sides on that deck, while X's deck plans show just two cabin types. Is that the difference alluded to?

Other questions that I have but to which I don't think there are any answers yet are these:-

a) will X charge extra for the two smaller alternative dining room? and

b) will they operate both of them every night or (like Princess, I believe) just operate one each night, but alternate them?

I have to say, I like what I read about the way Oceania run them: there is no extra charge, and although they are by reservation, every passenger is entitiled to one reservation in each of them (so a guaranteed two alternative dinners per cruise). That sounds a clever approach. (Suite passengers get a higher entitlement, I believe.) I don't know what Princess' approach has been on their R ships. All that said, I also greatly enjoyed the regular table-companion/waiters approach that X adopts, so I'm torn.

I think we are all waiting with keen interest for reports from the first cruises, which will be in May, I believe. Host_Andy, when's your cruise?

I think we are all waiting with keen interest for reports from the first cruises, which will be in May, I believe. Host_Andy, when's your cruise?

Hi Tom !

I am sailing on Quest, and not until November 2007. I will be sailing on one of Quest's Ultimate Caribbean Sailings. Journey begins sailing in May. In the coming months, I will be very anxious to hear what Journey passengers have to say about their Cruise. I feel that those who have sailed on Journey will likely be our best source of information.

Other questions that I have but to which I don't think there are any answers yet are these:-

a) will X charge extra for the two smaller alternative dining room? and

been on their R ships. All that said, I also greatly enjoyed the regular table-companion/waiters approach that X adopts, so I'm torn.

I agree it is to early to really know for sure. However, I have been told by a TA who took the training that suite guests will recieve one night free in one of the special dining room -- this makes me think there will be a charge for them.

We have never cruised with open dining and agree 90% of the time we enjoyed the regular table type setting --So it will something new for us.

Ray

We are on the 3rd sailing of Journey and promise to write a complete trip report when we return. In fact, maybe it would be a good idea if everyone would post specific questions that we could try to answer. I'd be happy to compile the list and post it just before we leave to be sure that most 'hot' topics are covered. Good idea??

I think you will find that the booking system that the Celebrity call centre agents use only has the ability to put in the choice of early or late dining - therefore they 'have' to ask the question even though it certainly is Open Dining - the booking system has not been adapted to cater for the open dining on Journey/Quest!!! Technology eh....

Babette,

If it looks like a duck and smells like a duck it is a duck..you are correct and I thank you..I got a call this morning saying it will be open seating..which makes me very happy..

Training is good! I am waiting for mine..tho I know the ships inside and out I need to learn Celebrity policies..they are quite different from Oceania.

Jan

I like the itineraries being offered on these two ships and the pricing seems fair. But the make or break issue as to whether I sail the ships with Celebrity or go with Oceania will be the open seating/country club casual. After experiencing this on Oceania last summer (and when the ships were Renaissance) there is no other way to cruise for me. Of course Celebrity would have to put on a great cruise to equal the quality of food of Oceania. But the prices per diem are less. I'm torn-Celebrity or Oceania?

Well, Susiesan, the general consensus of all, including TAs with their better info, IS that it's open seating. How it will compare to Oceania will be determined by those, like you, who have sailed Oceania. We have not (but want to) so have no measure of comparison. I will look to you for that and will post my impression of Journey when we return in June.

Well, Susiesan, the general consensus of all, including TAs with their better info, IS that it's open seating. How it will compare to Oceania will be determined by those, like you, who have sailed Oceania. We have not (but want to) so have no measure of comparison. I will look to you for that and will post my impression of Journey when we return in June.

I know you sailed on Xpedition as did we and I keep searching for a cruise that will duplicate that, best cruise or vacation I've ever taken. Oceania does an excellent job, but it is not all inclusive. Drinks were extra as were tips and shore excursions. But the food was outstanding. If itineraries andd pricing were about equal, at this point without any feedback from Quest/Journey pax I'd have to go woth Oceania. Your impressions will be most appreciated, as were your writngs about Xpedition that I read prior to our trip in Dec. 2005. We may just have to go back to the Galapagos to have the ultimate cruise experience again!!

Hi Sheila & Suzy ....

I'm sure Joan and I agree that Expedition in the GPS was truly a trip unlike any other ... Options to OC are also nice to have, especially with shorter itineraries for the vacation time limited among us :-) The open dining is definitely a step in the right direction, maybe Celebrity will pick up on he smoking issue too?

Frank

Archived