Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

On my HAL cruise next year, the SS is quite low (125%?) which makes me one happy camper.

125% ... hey, that's great! Today I checked fares online for my Ryndam cruise next year, and what I was quoted is 140% over the regular fare. Perhaps my cruise agent did wonders for me.

Donald - My only confusion about current-day HAl is the chefs' hats. You have shown us the hats on the tables and adorning pax, but now I've read a post about the Master Chef dinner having a chef's hat dessert along the lines of a huge dessert sculpture. Do you have any thoughts about this angle on a chef's hat celebration onboard their ships?

I didn't know about the Master Chef dinner having a chef's hat dessert. Do you mean that the going-ons during dinner will be climaxed by a huge dessert sculpture that will be cut and distributed to diners? I am weary of the Master Chef dinners, as it is an intrusion into a pleasant and civilized dining experience (we are not in kindergarten, after all), and I'd very much like to see it discontinued. Vain hope, I suppose.

Donald.

Today I received a pamphlet from Royal Caribbean International, and in it is a depiction of the Ogre of the Seas (oops, Oasis of the Seas). This one also shows no promenade deck for passengers, just a row of lifeboats jutting along the side. It looks as though this style is the future of cruise ships.

It does make sense from a safety viewpoint, though, as these lifeboats are already in position for quick evacuation. Currently, winching them from overhead davits into loading positions would take up valuable time during emergencies.

Donald.

855453640_xOasis2.jpg.8dc698bc21c6805126af8bc459919116.jpg

I didn't know about the Master Chef dinner having a chef's hat dessert. Do you mean that the going-ons during dinner will be climaxed by a huge dessert sculpture that will be cut and distributed to diners? I am weary of the Master Chef dinners, as it is an intrusion into a pleasant and civilized dining experience (we are not in kindergarten, after all), and I'd very much like to see it discontinued. Vain hope, I suppose. Donald.

I wish I could link this thread with the "cake as Chef's Hat" post but no joy. It was a complaint on the HAL board about the Master Chef's dinner "more onions in the salmon salad than salmon" which seemed to be a special presentation, like a cooking demonstration, and the featured dessert was a huge cake in the shape of a chef's hat with varying flavours of cake inside.

The baked Alaska parade leaves me gasping with apathy as much as the hoopla about each and every new ship launched upon the seas. Eurodam, Freedom (and Liberty) of the Seas, and now Ostentation of the Seas which has evidently sold out several inaugural cruises already.

I like being an old fuddy-duddy, left to enjoy my wonderful "mature" ships in peace. The rowdy crowd wouldn't be caught dead on my cruises and children onboard? Fuggedaboudit.

Fran - I read your Black Sea itinerary and had to smile at the 3 days in Cairo and 3 days in Istanbul. It reminds me of those wonderful old "programmes" that Conte posted on this thread, showing the ever-so-leisurely routes of voyages from days of yore.

Ruby

... and the featured dessert was a huge cake in the shape of a chef's hat with varying flavours of cake inside.

Now I remember ... at each Chef's Hat dinner the dessert is a piece of cake (not really huge) shaped like a chef's hat. The hat is made out of white chocolate, which is is quite thick and difficult to break. Sometimes pieces of it flew around the table when I attempted to cut it with knife and fork. Only a Neanderthal would attempt to pick it up in his/her fingers to gnaw it. The hat contained chocolate mousse, which was quite tasty. However, it is a messy dessert, in my opinion.

Donald.

Well, I just finished packing the steamer trunk for our three day "sampler" cruise to nowhere on Eurodam. Hopefully the cruise will be too short for the baked Alaska parade and other such nonsense. I saw her this morning on the webcam which monitors the piers on Manhattan's westside. How bad could it be? We'll see and I'll post my impressions.

Today I received a pamphlet from Royal Caribbean International, and in it is a depiction of the Ogre of the Seas (oops, Oasis of the Seas). This one also shows no promenade deck for passengers, just a row of lifeboats jutting along the side. It looks as though this style is the future of cruise ships.

It does make sense from a safety viewpoint, though, as these lifeboats are already in position for quick evacuation. Currently, winching them from overhead davits into loading positions would take up valuable time during emergencies.

Donald.

HI DONALD...that would be "THE OH-WASTE-US OF THE SEAS"...LOL!!!

Love the Alaska...hate the parade.

Ross

Well, I just finished packing the steamer trunk for our three day "sampler" cruise to nowhere on Eurodam. Hopefully the cruise will be too short for the baked Alaska parade and other such nonsense. I saw her this morning on the webcam which monitors the piers on Manhattan's westside. How bad could it be? We'll see and I'll post my impressions.

Uhmmm- How bad could it be? That's what I said about my weekender on Ventura!!! I just hope you have a better time, or more accurately - like the ship - better than I did V! I just feel the designs of these new ships, particulalry RCI, seem to be doing all they can to prevent you feeling as if you are on a ship at all and they sure don't want you to see the sea. I'm with you Ruby on that one. My friends are just back from a Norway cruise on Balmoral (Fred Olsen) and they loved it and had a great time. I can see me heading for them soon.

Balmoral should be great. I've never sailed with Fred.Olsen, but have heard good things about the line.

I sailed on the ship twice (11-88 & 8-90), in her first incarnation as Crown Odyssey, flagship of the late great Royal Cruise Lines. In her day, she was quite lovely.

That was before NCL removed the indoor pool down in the bowels, removed the movie theater, and added passenger cabins.

Fred.Olsen had the ship stretched, and added even more cabins.

Perhaps Ruby would not care for her (then), as she had an all Greek crew, and was originally registered in Greece.

She might now...I'm reliably informed the Norwegian (single) captain is gorgeous!! I think the original cabins have much more storage and are larger than the new midships cabins and the food may not be to everyone's taste, but the size of ship, itineraries, ballroom dancing and general ambiance sound perfect for me.

i've done fred olsen a bit mostly short cruises not BALMORAL yet though. my first cruise ever was CROWN DYNASTY (now BRAEMAR) but seen the new pictures of her after her streching i think she looks awful! nothing like the ship she wass a shame as i was looking forward tom going on her again and seeing if she is mopre stable now.#

dave

I read your Black Sea itinerary and had to smile at the 3 days in Cairo and 3 days in Istanbul. It reminds me of those wonderful old "programmes" that Conte posted on this thread, showing the ever-so-leisurely routes of voyages from days of yore.

It is wonderful that many itineraries have 2 or 3 days in one port. Last year we had 2 1/2 days in Venice. I was able to do so much including visiting with friends. Unfortunately I was ill while in Istanbul and only went to the big Reunion party at The Ciragan Palace Kempinski Hotel Istanbul. What a magnificent venue it was. The food was Americanized version of Turkish food. I love Istanbul since the first time I was there and I believe that I will always love it.

Often cruise ships leave around dinner time which does not allow one to get the feel of evening or dinner in town. These itineraries work for me.

Fran

I am not as familiar with Britain's geography as I should be. What part is "Western Country"?

My father was born in Sidcup, Kent, and my middle (ex-pat) daughter lives with her family in Woking, Surrey.

I really meant the West of England. I live in Somerset on the Bristol Channel. About the same level but opposite side of the country from Kent, if that makes sense. It might not be ocean, but I least I can see open water from my home and it's only a three hour drive to Southampton, traffic permitting of course.

Dave, one of my friends on Balmoral is a sailor and apparently the stretch has made her a very stable ship now.

How close are you to Millfield Prep School, Somerset?

Oldest grand-daughter goes to school there. We went down to her school last year when we visited my daughter and family in Woking. Had lunch in the village close by (don't recall its name).

We thought the school and its grounds quite nice. Grand-daughter very involved in the equestrian program there, and seems happy.

How close are you to Millfield Prep School, Somerset?

Oldest grand-daughter goes to school there. We went down to her school last year when we visited my daughter and family in Woking. Had lunch in the village close by (don't recall its name).

We thought the school and its grounds quite nice. Grand-daughter very involved in the equestrian program there, and seems happy.

About a 40min drive. You probably had lunch in Street. It is a very good school. I drive past it on my way to join ships at Southampton. It really is a small world then.

Well, I am finally packed, just the cases to close tomorrow and the drive down. I will be posting reports as I go (hopefully) on http://www.pocruises.com on the Community section - Cruise specific discussion as it is free to use on their ships should anyone be interested. Hope everyone sailing in the next few weeks has a good time and I look forward to reading all about the variety of ships and ports when I get back. Bye.

PS: I have a copy of your picture Ruby so will look out for it in Istanbul.

About my Prinsendam cruise tariff for next May - something was ticking in my head about the numbers previously written, so I looked up my invoices booked directly thru HAL. I have saved an additional $1,650 since booking in January. In all cases, the brochure price remains as $11,714.

Anybody know what NDA is? It is a line-item entry consistently shown as $600 on my booking confirmation since I booked this trip.

Ruby

About my Prinsendam cruise tariff for next May - something was ticking in my head about the numbers previously written, so I looked up my invoices booked directly thru HAL. I have saved an additional $1,650 since booking in January. In all cases, the brochure price remains as $11,714.

Anybody know what NDA is? It is a line-item entry consistently shown as $600 on my booking confirmation since I booked this trip.

Ruby

Prices include Flights, transfers, non Discountable amounts (NDA’s) and taxes which are listed above. NDA’s are part of the cruise fare and are therefore subject to cancellation charges.

To Donald who is off to Alaska, a "warm-up" for his October Mexican Riviera cruise and . . .

A warm farewell to Conte who is off to Barthelona for a crossing on Constellation . . .

A hearty Bon Voyage to each and all of you. Bring us back all that marvy information and perspectives that this group eagerly looks forward to reading.

Ruby

Was wondering how you are doing down there - much impact from the storms?

Thanks, Michael. In North Texas, we had no storm damage from Gustav. Our bad weather consistently comes from the west and, in tornado season, the storms consistently move from southwest to northeast. However, when Gustav came into east Texas, in Dallas/Fort Worth we had strange blasts of chaotic winds blowing from the east but no rain. I think local trees were shocked to be buffeted from a 180* change in wind direction.

This year during the spring, a particularly bad storm with 87mph winds and hail blew up. Our local weather radar showed a colour of black-and-white (not red, green, or yellow) on the weather radar moving west to east along our local highway just two miles from my house. I called my neighbor and asked if he would like to bring his brand-new car into my garage and he was on my driveway before I could get the garage door open!

I am surprised to see loud complaints on other forums about missed ports in the Gulf of Mexico. After all, 'tis the season.

Ruby