booking with RCI certified vacation planner vs. booking online

I just booked with a RCI certified vacation planner using the 866 number because I was booking 2 rooms. I saw on RCI web page that if you were booking multiple rooms you should call a certified vacation planner (the 866 #). After booking, I asked about the 55+ discount. She said there wasn't one at the time but if I saw one that came out, I could email her and she'd apply it. Could I run into trouble with her not responding to my email and then missing the time frame of a posted rate reduction like this or just a general drop in price? I guess I'm beginning to wonder why I couldn't have just booked the 2 rooms online myself so that I could take responsibility for applying any discounts that may come out. ( I booked two connecting rooms for 2 people each, for our family of 4.)

I've read threads about people being frustrated because their TA doesn't get back to them in time when they see a discount. Is using the certified vacation planner like using a TA vs. booking it on my own?

You booked through RCI, so anytime you have a concern or need anything, just call that 866 number. It really doesn't matter who you speak to, they will be able to take care of it.

It's not a true TA--it's the cruiseline rep. And they will respond fairly promptly if you have to leave a message for call-back.

This is the only way we ever book!

I just booked with a RCI certified vacation planner using the 866 number because I was booking 2 rooms. I saw on RCI web page that if you were booking multiple rooms you should call a certified vacation planner (the 866 #). After booking, I asked about the 55+ discount. She said there wasn't one at the time but if I saw one that came out, I could email her and she'd apply it. Could I run into trouble with her not responding to my email and then missing the time frame of a posted rate reduction like this or just a general drop in price? I guess I'm beginning to wonder why I couldn't have just booked the 2 rooms online myself so that I could take responsibility for applying any discounts that may come out. ( I booked two connecting rooms for 2 people each, for our family of 4.)

I've read threads about people being frustrated because their TA doesn't get back to them in time when they see a discount. Is using the certified vacation planner like using a TA vs. booking it on my own?

The person with whom you booked SHOULD have given you her extension. If she didn't, email her and ask for it. I have an 800 number AND my guy's extension. It rings directly to him.

(and you can't "apply your own discount" anyway. Someone at RCCL has to do it for you.)

I just booked my first RC cruise and used a PVP, don't know why but I did. When I sailed on Carnival I went through a TA, again, I don't know why. Anyway I booked last Sunday on RC and then three days later I see on their website the cruise had already gone down $140 so I just called the 866 number and told them what I saw and they immediately changed my amount due to reflect the new lower price. The person I talked was not the person I orig. talked to about the cruise and he was kind of short with me but I got the $140. Call them anytime you need anything!

When I recently booked a cruise for my friends, there was no discount one became available . I called and spoke to a CSR and the discount was applied. Always ask them to send you an email. I like speaking to a rep rather than just booking online. Have a great cruise.

The person with whom you booked SHOULD have given you her extension. If she didn't, email her and ask for it. I have an 800 number AND my guy's extension. It rings directly to him.

(and you can't "apply your own discount" anyway. Someone at RCCL has to do it for you.)

Thanks. The planner did not give me her extension but said I should email her if I have any questions because that was the "best way to reach her". I will ask for an extension though, that's for sure.

I do realize I couldn't apply the discount myself but if I would have booked online myself vs. on the phone with her and there was a disount, I could call immediately and have it adjusted. But reserving it the way I have (via phone), I have to let her know about the discount and hope she gets it adjusted while the offer is still being offered. At least that's what she told me.

BUT, if I understood other posters correctly, it sounds like I can call the 866# and have it adjusted by someone else.

The reason I'm a little worried is that I need to change categories on my reservation and she hasn't emailed me back for a day and now it's the weekend so I would guess I wouldn't hear from her. The Walt Disney TA I usually work with to plan our disney vacations, always emails back within hours. I'm sure that's exceptional service, but it's what I got used to.

You understood correctly. Just call and have whoever answers change your category. You don't need to deal with the same person all the time unless you really like him/her.

By the way..... I'm looking for George's extension if anyone has it handy, can't remember his last name, think it starts with a G

Thanks. The planner did not give me her extension but said I should email her if I have any questions because that was the "best way to reach her". I will ask for an extension though, that's for sure.

I do realize I couldn't apply the discount myself but if I would have booked online myself vs. on the phone with her and there was a disount, I could call immediately and have it adjusted. But reserving it the way I have (via phone), I have to let her know about the discount and hope she gets it adjusted while the offer is still being offered. At least that's what she told me.

BUT, if I understood other posters correctly, it sounds like I can call the 866# and have it adjusted by someone else.

The reason I'm a little worried is that I need to change categories on my reservation and she hasn't emailed me back for a day and now it's the weekend so I would guess I wouldn't hear from her. The Walt Disney TA I usually work with to plan our disney vacations, always emails back within hours. I'm sure that's exceptional service, but it's what I got used to.

I would just call the 866 number and change it since she hasn't emailed you back yet. Perhaps she is off or really busy. When I booked my cruise I originally talked to a PVP then later that day when I wanted to book her supervisor called me because she was too busy but it all worked out. Like I said in my earlier post I called the 866 number to get the credit on the cruise after it went down and I just told the lucky person who answered..lol..Good luck and let us know how it works.

Now had you used a good T/A...they would do this all for you for free! They'd a caught the rate and changed it....my T/A works 7 days a week so you don't have to worry about not being there on weekends (the T/A)....it doesn't cost anything extra to use a cruise agent who's *been there* and knows all about the ships/cruiselines/etc....you can bet that the PVP has been on little to no cruises as a rule.....so hopefully you won't need specific questions they don't know how to answer since they "haven't done it"

oN ALL OF OUR PREVIOUS CRUISES USING THE SAME ta ,SHE HAS NEVER CAUGHT A PRICE REDUCTION AND WHEN i ASKED HER ABOUT REDUCING THE PRICE IF IT WENT DOWN i WAS TOLD THEY CAN'T DO THAT.. That is why this year I will use a PVP at RCCL and not give the TA anymore of my comm.$$ they don't deserve...

Carla

When I used a TA for my Carnival cruise I told HER that Carnival offered a Military discount, she didn't even know they did!! Had I not researched this I would not have gotten it...so a TA is not always the best either..I guess it just depends on what TA you get or PVP, some good some not so good ;)

After putting a cruise on hold on the RCI website, I received a call from a PVP. She left her number and when I called her back, she was able to offer me cabins that were not listed on the website. That's the main reason I booked with her. When I noticed the price had dropped, I just called the 866 number and the person who answered the phone was able to make the price adjustment.

Now, I will most likely transfer the reservation to a TA before final payment is due to receive perks such as free insurance. I did this last year and was able to get the price reduction that came out, so I feel confident in using this TA. They do not, however, do any work for me, but the perks I receive are worth giving them the commission.

I had put a cruise on hold and received a call from an RCI PVP. When I called her back, she was able to offer me a cabin that was not listed on the website, and was able to give me the price that I had on hold as the new price was $100 higher. This was the reason I booked with her. I used her again to book another cruise, which had a price drop. When I called the 866 number the person who answered the phone credited me immediately.

That said, I will transfer the reservation to a TA before final payment is due to receive perks such as free travel insurance. I did this last year and it worked out well. When a price drop was noticed (by me, not them) I called and they contacted RCI and my credit card was credited. (this was after final payment). They will not do any work for me, but the perks offered are worth giving them the commission.

Archived