How does HAL keep it rates on same level as-

Rahi

Dude, I think you are correct about them making the money up on longer, less travelled routes. My cruise to SA/Antarctica cost a small fortune (but totally worth it). I booked a Baltic Sea cruise for May/June 2007 and HAL cost $2,000 less than Celebrity for the exact same itinerary ($2,000 less for a 12 day cruise is major in my book). I'm glad HAL cost less, because I'd prefer to travel with them than Celebrity or Princess.

Haha..for a minute I thought "wait, they have meatloaf on HAL already, people got really upset.....oh, right".

I've clearly had too much superbowl food and my brain has atrophied due to lack of nutrients.

Good thing I don't have school tomorrow :)

The base price of a cruise is only a starting point for profitability. Perhaps HAL is just more adept at making money from their passengers with bingo, shore excursions, photo purchases, internet fees, pinnacle grill fees, slot machines, liquor sales, gourmet coffees, spa services, salon services, art auctions, and onboard shops.

I expect HAL to start selling the names of their public rooms and activities. We will soon see something like the Verizon Wireless Dining Room, the Mastercard Explorations Cafe, and the Nexium (for acid reflux) Lido Cafe

The only really cheap cruises are those in the Carribean. Even a Hal TA told me that those are discounted for everyone, the same price for Mariners as everyone else. There is so much competition.

Other cruises are expensive, especially if you can only travel in high season.

NCL? They are cheap. We know someone who only takes NCL because he gets the cheapest inside cabins for $399 (or less) and hopes for an upgrade. I am told they have paper towels in the bathroom, not cloth. This family likes the largest ship for 3,000 (wanted to know how many tons was the ship we were on), and lots of dinning options.

I expect HAL to start selling the names of their public rooms and activities. We will soon see something like the Verizon Wireless Dining Room, the Mastercard Explorations Cafe, and the Nexium (for acid reflux) Lido Cafe

But haven't they started that already? Think "Explorations Cafe brought you by the New York Times". Right? (Or is it "presented by..."? Whatever.)

But haven't they started that already? Think "Explorations Cafe brought you by the New York Times". Right? (Or is it "presented by..."? Whatever.)

True True...

...but they've given up on the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cart in the Lido.

(HAL's regular ice creams are so good to begin with!)

:D

...but they've given up on the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cart in the Lido.

Ah! Ben and Jerry. They are as gods to me.

I used to tell my husband that my second husband was going to be either Ben or Jerry---and it didn't matter which.

Ah! Ben and Jerry. They are as gods to me.

I used to tell my husband that my second husband was going to be either Ben or Jerry---and it didn't matter which.

On RCL's Freedom of the Seas, one of the interior Promenade rroms has, as its view, a cow that is on top of the Ben and Jerry's onboard. To compensate for the "view", the folks who are in that room get a free ice cream each day. It's apparently been hard to book ever since they announced it.

The rest of them,ie Carnival, NCL, when they are , or seem to offer so much more?
Not hat I don't like HAL but I take exception to what you are saying. Generally speaking HAL rates are a little higher than the other main stream lines (again I am generalizing) and second, what do they offer that is so much better than the other mass marketed lines? I do like them, I do think their food in the main dining rooms and buffets are the best at sea (specialy dining not nearly as good as others and $30 is out of line) and we have never been on a cruise with beds and bedding as nice as HAL offers. There were other features we prefered over other lines and some we didn't like as well; I refer to HAL as the class of the mass marketed lines, not because they offer anything different but because of the quiet elegance. NMnita

These are present on all the mass market lines.

yes but: the slot machines on HAL are the tightest I have ever seen: I don't know what the difference would be in relationship to the art auctions, the spa is about 1/3 to 1/2 higher on HAL and wine tasting that runs $15 on most ships is $30 on HAL. Ok, better wine, but give me a break!!! NMnita

Dude, I think you are correct about them making the money up on longer, less travelled routes. My cruise to SA/Antarctica cost a small fortune (but totally worth it). I booked a Baltic Sea cruise for May/June 2007 and HAL cost $2,000 less than Celebrity for the exact same itinerary ($2,000 less for a 12 day cruise is major in my book). I'm glad HAL cost less, because I'd prefer to travel with them than Celebrity or Princess.

Yeah, but it's a proven fact that the shorter the voyage, the more money people generally spend onboard. So, HAL really doesn't make that much more per day on the longer voyages. Yes, the fare will be much higher and the per diem will reflect that if you do the math, but passengers will generally spend much less per day on the ship ... especially if the itinerary has a lot of ports ... so it's probably pretty much a wash for HAL.

Blue skies ...

--rita

yes but: the slot machines on HAL are the tightest I have ever seen: I don't know what the difference would be in relationship to the art auctions, the spa is about 1/3 to 1/2 higher on HAL and wine tasting that runs $15 on most ships is $30 on HAL. Ok, better wine, but give me a break!!! NMnita

I would tend to agree. I thought the spa prices were the same as elsewhere (as in crazy) but we did notice the price difference in wine tastings. Oddly, it seemed like HAL drinks were slightly less than RCL and Celebrity.

When folks talk about "do it better," what they are really speaking to, I suspect, is that the things that are important to them are addressed well. I think this is what leads people to talk about restrained/refined vs. energetic, etc. It's all a matter of what you prefer.

This is my reply to a recent RCI thread titled:

Recent Grandeur cruisers: Please share the good, bad, and ugly

"We were on the Grandeur in November, which was our first RCI cruise. Well, since you asked...

The good: The port is 15 minutes from our home.

The bad: The dining room food itself, sans any presentation whatsoever. Also, the wear and tear in the cabin and the balcony. We were in a JS.

The ugly: The waitstaff throwing, not placing plates and utensils into the bins at the bussing stations, creating a horrendous clanging noise every single night during the entire dinner. Then, the waitstaff would step in the food they were dropping when clearing the plates and drag it over to the tables on the bottoms of their shoes. DH spoke with the dining room manager, but, to no avail. Very, very ugly.

Unfortunately, there is no specialty restaurant on the Grandeur, or we would have dined there for 9 nights. We met another couple who normally cruise on Celebrity and were even more disappointed than we were.

We have booked the Noordam for December. The rate for 11 nights on a 1+ year old ship in a Cat. SY (389 sq ft. incl balcony, dvd/cd, flat screen, fabulous bedding, dual sinks, shower/tub, stand up shower, etc.) was $400 less than 9 nights on a 10+ year old ship in a Cat. JS. (303 sq. ft. incl balcony with a shower/tub)."

Karen ;)

Generally speaking HAL rates are a little higher than the other main stream lines (again I am generalizing) and second, what do they offer that is so much better than the other mass marketed lines? NMnita

-- I have never even cruised on Hal yet. I was just saying this, because people make it seem like a higher end cruise line , which then I had to wonder why they seem priced the same for some places.

Archived