Drive from Balto to NJ on day of cruise

REGINA

When does the ship leave? And is it Port Liberty NJ or one of the cruise terminals in NY? (You mentioned both NJ & NY)

In either case, it should be a straight shot up I-95. If you leave early in the morning you should have plenty of time.

You didn't say when your cruise was either. If it's during the winter I would keep my eyes on the weather and be prepared to change your plans in case of snow.

The New Jersey Turnpike is just a gas-wasting parking lot every time I'm on it. If it were me, I would take the Metroliner to Newark and a cab to Port Liberty or to Penn Station and a cab to the pier in Manhattan. The savings on parking in NY would almost cover the train fare.

But I don't see why you would miss the ship if you left in the AM.

Has anyone made the drive from Baltimore to NY on the day of the cruise. Husband wants to but I am sooooooooo afraid of missing ship?

We live in NJ and have made the trip to Baltimore numerous times. Our daughter went to College in Md. We have considered taking a cruise out of Baltimore, driving down the same day, but other itineraries have always won out. (Florida)

If your cruise is on a Sunday start, I don't see any problems. I would leave plenty early just in case. We have been stopped in traffic for 3 hours once because of a accident at the Baltimore tunnel. So you never know.

Traffic can be terrible on the NJ Turnpike, but most during weekdays, and Sunday evenings during the summer months.

Agreed, leave with extra time for delays and un-forseens. We drove to FL for our cruise last month got there the wee morning the day of the cruise and stayed at a hotel. Our departure time was 4:00 so we had time to fiddle around before getting on the ship.

I understand not wanting to play it too close though.

Enjoy your cruise!

Our ship leaves Saturday, May 19th. Weather won't be a problem other than heavy rain.

Still don't think it will be a problem, as long as you leave plenty early enough.

If you get there too early, so what. You then have time to sight see at Liberty State park (next to the port), or continue on through the Holland Tunnel and drive through times square, etc. (10 mins. away)

WE have driven down to Camden yards and back on a single Saturday.

Has anyone made the drive from Baltimore to NY on the day of the cruise. Husband wants to but I am sooooooooo afraid of missing ship?

We drove from New York City to Baltimore in November for the Notre Dame v Navy Football Game at Ravens Stadium. I think the game was at 2PM and we left at 7AM. & We had time to stop for breakfast on the New Jersey Turnpike. And, we had time for a nice tail gate party before the game.

Enjoy your cruise.

Even on a work day, the NJ Turnpike is not too bad heading to NYC as long as you are not smack in the middle of rush hour. Our last cruise, we left the house (a Phila suburb - "Exit 4") at noon and were parked on the pier before 2 pm. This was about 2 hours later than planned due to unforeseen circumstances.

Now, you probably want to leave Balt in time to get to the Del Mem Br 9 - 10, that should put you in NYC give or take noon and you will avoid rush hour in Phila area as well as NYC.

We have made the drive 4 times , soon to be 5 (3/10). Never had a problem. We usually leave about 8 AM, just to have a few hours built in for traffic delays.

Glenn:cool:

We drove to Cape Liberty for a Friday Departure from Laurel, MD in August 2004 for our Voyager cruise. Laurel is about 20 minutes south of Baltimore. We left around 8 a.m. and we're at the cruise pier by 12:30 (with a few bathroom stops along the way). We are planning on doing this again in August for our Explorer cruise. We did experience some traffic on the NJ Turnpike, but it was due to some construction. Leaving at 8 a.m. didn't pose a problem going North from Laurel as most traffic goes towards DC. We might try to leave 1/2 hour earlier this year just to be able to get on the ship earlier.

Mary Anne

Archived