So what all is included (free)?

8mpg

Anytime and traditional are the same except you don't have a set time. It works out well especially on port days. You can have dinner when you like and don't have to rush to a specific seating time. It worked well for us. You will not have the same wait staff each night is one difference. You may be able to request it if you reserve, not sure.

Room Service Beverages (other than coffee, water, tea)

I plan to buy soda cards for all four of us. If we order a soda through room service will our soda cards work? Or will we be charged? confused on this one.:confused:

I believe if you order sodas from room service you get cans - and cans are not covered by the soda card. I believe you have to go to the restaurants or bars to use it.

As a long time sales professional I pay particular attention to words and marketing. I think alot of us would have an easier time in life if we realize that nothing is ever free. There are many included benefits and items in the price that we pay for our cruises, but nothing is free.

As a long time sales professional I pay particular attention to words and marketing. I think alot of us would have an easier time in life if we realize that nothing is ever free. There are many included benefits and items in the price that we pay for our cruises, but nothing is free.

Actually, it's more like being nit-picky about semantics. We all understand we are paying for the cruise and are just talking about what is included. We just use the word "free" because we all understand what we're talking about. (I used to be an advertising proofreader and I just have to ignore the "dinning" rooms and the use of "loose" when "lose" is the correct word. Else, I would be rolling my eyes every night while checking out the threads here.)

I thought I knew the answer to this, but one of the posts has me now confused... If we order from room service and order nothing except what is offered on the room service menu or the breakfast door hanger menu... is that included (free), or should I anticipate being charged for those things? Also, if you order say two breakfasts from the door hanger (juice/pastry/coffee) what do you normally tip the delivery guy/gal?

Actually' date=' it's more like being nit-picky about semantics. We all understand we are paying for the cruise and are just talking about what is included. We just use the word "free" because we all understand what we're talking about. (I used to be an advertising proofreader and I just have to ignore the "dinning" rooms and the use of "loose" when "lose" is the correct word. Else, I would be rolling my eyes every night while checking out the threads here.)[/quote']

I don't think it's nit-picky. Words do have meaning. But I'm with you about obvious misspellings and wrong usage of certain words. How about your and you're, or then and than? :rolleyes:

I thought I knew the answer to this, but one of the posts has me now confused... If we order from room service and order nothing except what is offered on the room service menu or the breakfast door hanger menu... is that included (free), or should I anticipate being charged for those things? Also, if you order say two breakfasts from the door hanger (juice/pastry/coffee) what do you normally tip the delivery guy/gal?

You don't have to pay extra for any of that. We usually tipped about $3 for breakfast service.

The extra charge items are the fancy appetizers (chocolate covered strawberries, etc.), alcoholic beverages, and sodas.

Ooh, you're/your and its/it's are my two biggest pet peeves. I routinely complain to my local paper about their lack of copy editing:rolleyes:

For breakfast room service (if it's just one tray, fruit & coffee) we'll tip $2. And we get it out the night before, otherwise we're stumbling around the cabin (pre-coffee:o ) trying to find some cash:cool:

Bottled water free? Stocked in room fridge? Available free throughout the ship?????

Thanks

No free bottled available, but the tap water is free. There may be a larger bottled water in your stateroom when you arrive, just note that there is a charge and it should be clearly marked.

I believe if you order sodas from room service you get cans - and cans are not covered by the soda card. I believe you have to go to the restaurants or bars to use it.

This is correct, if you want to use your soda card/sticker someone will have to go get the sodas while someone else waits for the room service to be delivered.

As we have not sailed yet, experienced sailers please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I've read on CC:

Vines - extra charge

International Café - some things have extra charge (supposedly marked), most things are free

Ice Cream is served for free in the buffet (I've read this is on the side of the buffet that is currently closed, not where they are serving) from 3:30 to 4:30 pm.

Afternoon Tea in the main dining room is free.

Champagne served at the Champagne Waterfall event is free.

Aren't Vines and International Cafe only on the Crown? They weren't on Golden last year.

[quote name='donna5']Aren't Vines and International Cafe only on the Crown? They weren't on Golden last year.[/quote]

So far, just on the Crown! I assume they'll be on the Emerald, but I don't know for sure.

Free? Nothing. You pay for it. It's just included, but never actually "free".

Hey, I was just being facetious. I understand what you're asking! But, I always giggle a little when someone asks what's free.

Oh, I suppose as part of the Captain's Circle, there will be some "free perks". But, not really much to write home about. :p And that's for someone who has cruised more than once.

I'll let someone else reply with the details of what's included and what's extra. I'm one of those who can get by fairly cheaply on a cruise (after final payment.) I don't drink much. I'm not into heavy gambling unless you call the Penny Slots heavy. :D I'm not a big shopper, either on the ship or in ports. Same with excursions---usually don't do them. I don't play BINGO. I do buy photographs, though. Fortunately, we have a $150 shipboard credit (per cabin). That helps. Gee, on a 10 day cruise the tipping is going to be $100 each. I include that in my budget. I know for a fact if you're on a tight budget (that would be ME), it's very possible to take a cruise without too many add-on expenses. With all that "free"...er [I]paid for[/I] entertainment and food, who needs to spend a lot more money?

Have fun and just be prudent with your credit card and cash and you'll be fine!

[quote name='8mpg']First cruise coming up in May to Alaska on the Golden Princess. Hate to sound cheap but what all is free? Im reading that room service is free but you should tip. Dining except in the specialty restaurants is extra ($15steak $20italian). We are definitely on a limited budget so we can spend more on our excursions.. so what else should we expect to pay for and what is free? When you get off the boat at ports, are you on your own to find food or can you get back on the boat and eat?[/quote]

[quote name='Nancyquilts']Since it's your first cruise, you might want a nice picture taken on formal night, but ignore all the others (if you can!). Photos are getting really expensive. It's always better to get a photo when you first start cruising, as you'll find that pictures taken on later cruises show a lot more wrinkles (must be the film). Nancy[/quote]

Good one Nancy
he he how true is that lmao

[quote name='Hoyaheel']Ooh, you're/your and its/it's are my two biggest pet peeves. I routinely complain to my local paper about their lack of copy editing:rolleyes:

For breakfast room service (if it's just one tray, fruit & coffee) we'll tip $2. And we get it out the night before, otherwise we're stumbling around the cabin (pre-coffee:o ) trying to find some cash:cool:[/quote]

Why do you tip when you are already enforced to pay $10 a day to all and sundry? :confused: You folk up in North American certainly enjoy throwing your money around :)

[quote name='Chivalrygirl']Why do you tip when you are already enforced to pay $10 a day to all and sundry? :confused: You folk up in North American certainly enjoy throwing your money around :)[/quote]

Maybe we're just more generous. Also, the $10 is not enforced, it can be adjusted as warranted

[quote name='Chivalrygirl']Why do you tip when you are already enforced to pay $10 a day to all and sundry? :confused: You folk up in North American certainly enjoy throwing your money around :)[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Oh No! Let's not start this one again!:eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

:rolleyes: Not gonna touch it.....

No the bottled water in your room and the sodas left there are not free. I actually ask for them to be removed at the start of the cruise so the temptation is not there- they are actually very overpriced! I got a princess water bottle holder when we were exiting the ship one day- best value I got there. It holds one of the really big bottles and I think the whole thing was 8.00$. I then simply refilled it each night and put it in the fridge for the next day. The holder also had a pocket so my cards and ID went in there- long strap goes easily over the shoulder. Soda card/glass is fine, however you have to go to a bar to get it!

Archived