Current pod status on Infinity?

mocro

I welcome the discussion and appreciate all the information on the pod problems. I was on the Mercury to Alaska in May 2006 and was very glad I was not on the Summit which had significant pod problems. I will avoid the M class ships even though I loved my cruise a few years ago on the Millenium. I will go on Celebrity's smaller ships (Xpedition is currently booked) and other cruise lines (just returned from the Coral Princess) to avoid even the minimum risk of a pod problem. It is helpful to have the information. Nothing is risk free but minimizing known risks when you have choices is part of my decision making. Thank you for the discussion. Let me know when the pod problem has been solved.

It's precisely because of this information that I decided not to cruise X to Alaska. We are taking Coral Princess.

I loved cruising X in the past and will hopefully do so again. I am not a very lucky person. Because of past weather, I have had itineraries diverted. That's ok. Not something I could control and I had a great cruise regardless. I won't gamble with a mechanical problem that can happen, just knowing my luck--it will happen and I would hate to jinx the other passengers! :eek:

we have enjoyed Constellation & Summit (twice) but have been lucky NO pod problems. Once had Millie cancelled on us but I think that was a charter rather than a pod issue. Since we must plan & book way ahead due to work issues & do our own air, to take them now would be a bit like playing Russian roulette. For now we will do anything but M class until they are fixed Then we will be back...Constellation was our favorite. Travel is stressful enough without an added worry!

HI

I have now idea if this has something to do with pods of the Infinity but I suppose so: I just go informed that they shortend our stay in Hawaii 12 hours. Before that we got informed that one port will be missed. So my guess is that this is a result of the reduced speed.

Anyway that sure does not bother me from enjoying the cruise. I hope thats it with bad new for our Hawaii- Cruise.

Greetings

Michael

HI

I just go informed that they shortend our stay in Hawaii 12 hours. Before that we got informed that one port will be missed.

That's unfortunate ... but good to hear that it won't spoil your cruise. Which port did they cancel?

We're going to Hawaii in December (our first visit) ... but decided to do this trip by land.

Hi Susan:

I'm also on the 22 April Hawaii cruise along with Michael....first (quite a while ago) X cancelled Kauii, and re-jigged the cruise stops in Hawaii, and now they've (apparently--I gather it from the boards) informed some people that our arrival in Hilo(1st Hawaii stop) is delayed 2 hours, and Lahaina, Mauii (last Hawaii stop) is cut short by 12 hours...we were due to leave 1pm, now we leave at 1 am.

I'm not pleased.:(

Hi Susan:

I'm also on the 22 April Hawaii cruise along with Michael....first (quite a while ago) X cancelled Kauii, and re-jigged the cruise stops in Hawaii, and now they've (apparently--I gather it from the boards) informed some people that our arrival in Hilo(1st Hawaii stop) is delayed 2 hours, and Lahaina, Mauii (last Hawaii stop) is cut short by 12 hours...we were due to leave 1pm, now we leave at 1 am.

We will be on the Infinity just before you. They have also cut our time short by about 12 hours. It is at the end of our itinerary (Oahu) and our arrival in Hilo has also been moved to 9 am (two hours late). Hmmmm....Both of our itineraries were cut short by 12 hours at the end and two hours at the beginning of the cruise. Perhaps it is something other than pods but I'm thinking they are doing it because they can't make full speed and therefore need the extra time? I wonder if we called X if they would tell us?

Celeste

We did Alaska last Aug on Infinity. Loved the ship, our cabin has yet to be beaten by ANY other cabin (although my super sweet corner suite on HAL next month on the aft may be in the running :) ) and we really enjoyed all of our ports. My only complaint regarding the pods was the we also were running one POD at 70% or so capacity and we did miss some of the Inside passage as the captain felt it was unsafe to do the tight passage with less "control" (I think that was the word used). We didn't receive any compensation as we did actually still do most of the passage. Me personally, I would not risk an M class cruise again. I know things can go wrong on ANY ship, but I'll take my chances on a ship that doesn't have a known, on-going problem. To each his own. If you're not worried about your cruise, then go - and have FUN! If you are worried, think twice about your ship. I don't think any of us have the power to talk someone out of taking a cruise. If someone doesn't take an M Class cruise because of something someone wrote, then they were on the fence anyway.

Over and out....

Hi Susan:

No, I wouldn't be either ... as much as I like Celebrity, I would have a hard time with that schedule change. Is cancellation an option ? .... although it's probably difficult to re-arrange your arrangements this close to sailing date.

My TA responded to my email and said that Celebrity told her the OBC was for $25 per person. Any advice who to talk too? Can I call Celebrity directly or does it have to be through my TA?

Thanks for the help.

You can call Celebrity directly. The compensation is based on your cabin level and is $200-500 PER CABIN.

We aren't so concerned with compensation as we are in going on the cruise, even if that's a cruise to nowhere for 14 nights. We don't want to be disappointed with a cancelled cruise BUT (yes there is always a "but"), we were aware of the pod issues affecting the "M" Class ships when making our reservations and all we could do was hope..............that "hope" is still alive :).

celebrity called us yesterday on the phone, telling us about the changes and then also they offered 200$ per cabin ship credit,

we are in insides, so im sure the better cabins you get more ship credit,

hey at least no port is cancelled as of yet..

happy cruising everyone

Melissa

UH OH!! :eek: Quick! Knock on wood! :D :D

Celeste

I know , i shouldnt have said it , but im sure they would have done that by now...

and i noticed the shore ex we booked, if you try to book it now it says inquire onboard.. so im wondering what that means ???

we shall see,,,

i think every cruise weve been on except our 1st

has always had some kind of adjustment or something happening, oh well,

see you soon

Melissa

Hi

when you call X via phone yourself it is a matter of luck and timeing what attitude the person on the phone has. I got informed yesterday about the changeings AND THAT, AS I have BOOKED IN GERMANY WE ARE NOT GETTING ANY COMPENSATION AT ALL!

I don´t get why- but there isn´t the last word spoken about that, I just don´t get it why we get nothing ( I am in CC so it should be 300$) !

I was also aware of that rackety pods of thier Millenium Class ships, but as they are my favorite anyway I booked them again.

Can´t wait to hear what are telling me next, at least the could offer us a free Apple- Martini. :D

Greetings

Michael

Michael

I do not understand why you are not receiving the compensation? Did you call the redeployment desk ? It seems to me that they are the only ones that can give you the most accurate answer. I am to receive 300.00 sbc because of the cc category. Let me know how you make out.

Michael,

There is a man in our roll call from the UK. He was also being told that they weren't going to offer him the OBC and acted like they didn't know what he was talking about.

He had someone from the roll call email him with a revised copy of their invoice with just the part that showed the OBC and he then emailed that to his TA. Someone also posted it in our roll call. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=301192&page=19

Maybe you could use this info as leverage? Good luck.

Celeste

Hi all

Celeste- thank you so much for the info. I will print that email and fax it to my TA. Maybe that helps. I wish you and all of your friend on Roll Call of the April 8 sailing a great trip. Hopefully those rickety pods don´t fall apart....! Let´s knock on wood.

Dutches: I will call the US redeployment desk next week. The german desk is unhelpful, they don´t even know of a change in Hawaii and worst of all they have an attitude- hm X got a nice email from me, about that.

Nothing can destroy my pre cruise joy or the cruise at all- but 300 Dollars are 300$ a lot of Apple Maritins.. LOL.

These boards are so great and helpfull.

Thanks again.

Greetings and have a nice weekend- uh we get snow and ice back for the next week.....

Michael

We are on the Panama Canal transit on March 25. So far all our stops have been shortend in Mexico. So far no port cancellations but this is all due to pod problems. I plan to sit on my balcony and do nothing and that will be fine with me but I do wish they would get this problem fixed permently. Pat

Hi X- Shareholder,

as you are a stockholder I understand your point very well. Now picture it- all others get a compensation- you re the one who get´s nothing. Then you tell it an X. representative- the only answer you get is that they don´t know about anything! Wouldn´t you complain??

The behavior of X ( at least the german office of them) in this matter does not match their other level of service.

Greetings

Michael

Archived