Boarding and then leaving again before departure on day 1?

bigwally

Since we are going to be in-port prior to sailing, there will likely be a bit of a time lag between leaving the hotel (11am) and having access to our cabin. I would guess, from what I've read here and elsewhere, that would probably be no earlier than 2pm.

Since my parents are visiting us in the same city prior to our cruise, I would probably want to maximize our time with them and board for good fairly close to the scheduled departure (6pm), yet it would be nice to board for a short time at around noon (before a whole bunch of other people arrive) to check in, get rid of our luggage, and perhaps take care of specialty dining arrangements for that night (a tip I heard of somewhere, I don't remember where).

I know I could probably get a late checkout at the hotel to close the time gap somewhat and board later in the day, but does anyone know if it's possible to leave the ship again once boarded and with the prelimiaries done?

Yes - you can check in and head back out. We've been able to get into our cabin shortly after noon on some cruises, so hopefully you'll be able to leave your carry-on on board.

When returning to the ship, you get to bypass the lines (if there are any) of those still checking in, since you'll just need to show your seapass card when you re-board.

I've done it before (and yes, you present a strong case for wanting to do it!:) ) but I can't help but feel once I'm on a ship, even my dear sainted mother waiving from the pier with important family news and a couple of $100 bilsl...would only have maybe a 50% chance in getting me back off!:D I LOVE the afternoon of settling in...

I do miss the "old days" of having guests board with you for a bon voyage party...wouldn't that have been fun for your parents? Well, either fun...or cruel!;)

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I agree, I often planed to board and then go back, as I heard it is possible, but once on board I stayed- love that afternoon prior sailing also, stroll around, ship- sightseeing- if it´s one I haven´t been on..., watching others board the vessel...!

Can´t wait to get on board Infinity for Hawaii, I printed your review so I can check it over and over. LOL.

Greetings

Michael

As others have said you can certainly do it..... But, personally I would not board until I was ready to stay on...snags can happen along the way and what you thought would only take a few minutes could turn into an hour or two and what would your parents be doing at this time waiting for you...... how boring;) Say your good-byes, then board JMO...

I was wondering about this as well. Also, I have noticed on the board that many people talk about getting on the boat and having lunch. Our cruise information says boarding 3 hours prior. Our ship sails at 7. Are they not going to let us on until 4? We will be in Barcelona a few days early and will be sightseeing. 4 just seems a little late - I would like to board a bit earlier and get settled or get back off the ship. Any thoughts on true boarding time?

Any thoughts on true boarding time?

We were able to board Millennium in Barcelona at 12:30 - sailing time was at 7 p.m. It was nice to get on early and get settled as our next 4 days were port days. (Since then, the Millennium itinerary has changed and they've added a sea day between Barcelona and Villefranche.)

I was wondering about this as well. Also, I have noticed on the board that many people talk about getting on the boat and having lunch. Our cruise information says boarding 3 hours prior. Our ship sails at 7. Are they not going to let us on until 4? We will be in Barcelona a few days early and will be sightseeing. 4 just seems a little late - I would like to board a bit earlier and get settled or get back off the ship. Any thoughts on true boarding time?

We were on the ship in Venice at around 12.30pm. Around noon is a good rule of thumb. I've been on as early as 11.45am. The documentation always states much later than in practice. Staterooms are usually ready at about 1pm, so you may have a short time with your carry ons if you are early.

Phil

Confirming that our experience in Dover many times, as well as U.S. ports, has been that we were able to board by 12:00. It mostly depends on the disembarkation of the previous cruise...if they are delayed, and you got to the pier early, it can be quite the wait...but it's a risk I usually take...:)

Hey, Michael, be sure to come back with good stories from Hawaii...not too much longer until you cruise! Bon Voyage!:D Phil, Bon Voyage to you, too!

Andrew

Looks like my question was premature, I just spoke to mum and it's looking like their flight back to Manchester will be late morning on Friday. So we'll be able to board guilt-free around lunchtime and do as we please for the balance of the day. :)

Hi Andrew,

I also usually board as early as possible, around 12 or so. Thank you for your good wishes, I can´t wait to fly to SD. I will write a review when I am back, it will be my first- and it will take some time, as english is not my home language, LOL. Have you any upcomming cruises Andrew??

Greetings

Michael

Looks like my question was premature, I just spoke to mum and it's looking like their flight back to Manchester will be late morning on Friday. So we'll be able to board guilt-free around lunchtime and do as we please for the balance of the day. :)

Enjoy:)

Archived