No Gays Going to Alaska????

SakeDad

One more thing, if I may, is my suggestion to download the Ipod Art Tour of the Noordam from the Holland America site or Itunes.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/onboard/podcast.do

It is a self-guided tour of the art onboard any of the Holland America ships. If you haven't done this or are not aware of the tours, they are a fun and informative ways to spend about an hour onboard.

Happy sailing!

Gentlemen:

Hey thanks for all the reassurance that Alaska will not disappoint. We got off a ship in Vancouver several years ago after cruising from Hawaii and we both loved the Canadian scenery so I expect Alaska will only be about 10 times better!

We were actually on the new Noordam last fall for one of the 10-day roundtrippers from New York to the Caribbean. We booked one of those Deluxe suites on the back corner of the ship. What a room! The balcony wrapped around the side so you had views from the back and side of the ship. You could host a party for 25 people out there. It was fantastic sailing out of New York Harbor. For this cruise, we're in a guarantee Superior Suite category but hopefully we'll have the chance to upgrade to the Deluxe. We booked a suite on a cruise several years ago and now we're spoiled.

The Noordam is fantastic. I did check out your pictures, they are great. It looks like you had a fantastic vacation. As for the cute boys in the shows, we found out that one of them is from right here in Baltimore, Maryland.

Jerry and I also just booked on the new Eurodam for its transatlantic crossing on August 14, 2008. The ship is visiting some interesting Norwegian ports before going on to Iceland and down the Northeastern Canadian coast with stops in Halifax and Sydney. You guys should consider the voyage!

Regards,

MarylandBob

Hi Folks

My partner and I will be sailing the Inside Passage on Celebrity Infinity, leaving July 1.

Anyone joining us. I have posted several times here and on the Celebrity Roll Call Board, and I have to say that I'm starting to get a complex. No one has responded :rolleyes: .

Looks like it's going to be a ghost ship! Oh well, all the more Bailey's and hot chocolate at Hubbard Glaicer for us!:p

Peter

Peter and Dan...

Mike and Bernie here from Naperville, Illinois. I believe that the cruise lines have now restricted it to one (1) gay couple per cruise! At least that is how it feels! We also have had no responses to our posting regarding the Celebrity Summit southbound Seward to Vancouver sailing. We are celebrating our arrival in Vancouver with our wedding. We at first thought we would have to "hire" witnesses and NOW... we have about 20 people flying to Vancouver from around the states to help us celebrate. We are really excited, but we now know what the term "Bridezilla" means! What with restaurant reservations, flowers, accommodations, etc..... it can make you go crazy! What happened to just "sneaking away" and being spontaneous? Well, at least it gives us the oppottunity to register at Macy's ! ! ! Anyway, we are taking our honeymoon BEFORE the wedding. We are looking forward to the land cruise portion as well, and might even look up my old college roommate in Anchorage. He is a doctor (at least HIS Mom is proud... my Mom ended up with a teacher!.... oh well, at least it "almost" pays the bills!) We blew the inheritance and opted for the Penthouse Suite. The Summit suite looks really nice! Mike is claustrophobic and hates water, so I thought if he can "spread out" maybe he will relax at bit! Also thought that the HUGE veranda would be nice for an FOD party, but with zero responses, it makes you wonder if anybody would show up!?! Well, you only have a week to wait... We still have four weeks before flying to Fairbanks. Enjoy your cruise and let us know all about it! Anxious to hear your reports!

Bernie and Mike

My partner and I just went on a HAL Alaska Cruise on the Amsterdam in the beginning of June. We had a wonderful time. Georgous ship! We did not notice any FOD meetings, but we were really on the trip to relax and enjoy each other. I was a bit nervous about the dinner arrangements as we were at a table for six, but it was a total nonissue. We had a wonderful group of dinner companions.

No one ever batted an eyelash at us. No raised eyebrows with our large bed instead of two singles. No reaction when we posed for couples photos. It was a very comfortable experience. We saw other gay couples on board and were able to have some nice conversation.

Alaska is a beautiful place and I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Enjoy!

Dan... no promises about leaving any champagne on board when we arrive in Vancouver.... afterall, we do have to supply our guests at our wedding that Friday! But I promise to change the sheets before you board! Well, maybe we will let the butler do it! We are so excited... actually got our boarding documents yesterday... cute little luggage tags for only six bags.... who are they kidding?!? That won't even take care of me... what is Mike going to use!?! We did purchase the insurance (just in case), but Celebrity put it under "miscellaneous" and said we declined the insurance.... Oh NO.... what exactly could cost THAT much and still be considered miscellaneous?

We will tell all the gay crew members that you will be arriving on the 3rd... any special messages we should give them from you?

Later...

Bernie and Mike

my wife and i and our 2 1/2 year old daughter are going on a princess cruise to alaska from san francisco at the end of july. my wife's parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary and generously paying for their family to go on this cruise so there will be a group of 12 of us together.

we got married in vancouver canada in march and this cruise makes a stop in victoria. we've been half-joking that we should do something in victoria that only married couples can do since canada legally recognizes our marriage.

any suggestions? ;)

steaming my tux and packing sippy cups!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
My partner and I are booked on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas out of Vancouver on May 16...first time to Alaska and looking forward to the amazing scenery!

I would sugegst you start a new thread here with the date and name of your ship in the title instead of using an old thread - you could get more responses that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I did the Diamond Princess last year and enjoyed the cruise immensely, so much that I am going back in August on the Coral Princess. There is a gay bar in Anchorage that is very 'neighborly' and when I was there last September, they had the Drag Queen Festival, so the city and the bar was teaming with friends. The cruise was great, quite gay friendly and overall was the best cruise I have ever been on. We missed one port due to a storm and the ports that we did hit, Skagway and Juneau were quite friendly: It appeared that most were there for the sites and the scenery as opposed to the scene.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We did the Ryndam's 'final' 2007 Alaska cruise.

After asking repeatedly for a FOD party, they finally agreed to list one for night of our last Sea day.

LIST one. Not host it, not announce it in the daily 'Captains' chat, etc.

I guess that's a whole 'nother' thread.

--------------

We did enjoy the cruise, were open in our status as a couple, and encountered no negative responses from anyone (except the cruise director - there I go again).

That's just our one experience.

Hi HALfans,

I don't know if this is everyone's style, but if I had a problem with the CD on any ship, I would post not only the name of the ship, but the name of the CD.

It is certainly up to the cruise line, captain, and the CD how they want to run their ship, but if we are armed with the information, we could avoid that ship and CD. Since a CD can switch from ship to ship... share the name please! :cool:

I've never had a problem being gay with staff, crew, or fellow passengers, so I have no complaints... but I know it can happen.

~K

Hi HALfans,

I don't know if this is everyone's style, but if I had a problem with the CD on any ship, I would post not only the name of the ship, but the name of the CD.

It is certainly up to the cruise line, captain, and the CD how they want to run their ship, but if we are armed with the information, we could avoid that ship and CD. Since a CD can switch from ship to ship... share the name please! :cool:

I've never had a problem being gay with staff, crew, or fellow passengers, so I have no complaints... but I know it can happen.

~K

I don't think he's with Holland America any longer. His name was Bobby Broughton. (I hope I have the spelling right.) Dealing with him was a humiliating experience.

It's been a few years now and Holland America has really stepped up to the plate on this issue. They even went so far as sending me a letter from the Office of the President stating their policy to have GLBT/FOD gatherings and POST them in the daily listings in case I ever ran into the same situation again.

On our Hawaii cruise, the CD was Adam Dyer - who was not only Family but one of the best CDs we've had the good fortune to sail with. He not only held but Hosted several well attended FOD gatherings and graciously bought a round or two of drinks at most of them. Quite the change and (in part) his attitude made that cruise by far the most magical journey we've had with HAL.

The cruise after that (Ryndam's second chance and NEVER AGAIN!) had zero people (besides us) attend the un-hosted FOD meetings, although 6-8 couples walked by to see if anyone else attended. :rolleyes: I think if the CD or ANY ship's staff or officer had showed up it would have been a very different experience.

On topic, we're doing Alaska again on Setpember 4, 2010 on the Rotterdam. No responses on the GLBT Roll Call for that sailing. :(

(We had 2 choices for our Alaska cruise... This 7 day one or a 14 day we liked much better. But then we noticed the 14 day was on the Ryndam. That killed it for us.)

Archived