No Gays Going to Alaska????

SakeDad

I am booked on HAL Noordam 5/20 to Alaska. Have had a meet-n-greet up and no one going (that's ok)

But I'm surprised to see NO posts for Alaska so far here....is it not a good destination for GLBT folk?? I know there is a gay group offered through one of the gay TA's on my ship the week after me so I thought I'd at least see some form that sailing on here but none so far. Thoughts??

I am booked on HAL Noordam 5/20 to Alaska. Have had a meet-n-greet up and no one going (that's ok)

But I'm surprised to see NO posts for Alaska so far here....is it not a good destination for GLBT folk?? I know there is a gay group offered through one of the gay TA's on my ship the week after me so I thought I'd at least see some form that sailing on here but none so far. Thoughts??

To COLD!!!

Alaska is not cold at all - the cruise season only runs May to September, and the weather is very nice then. I went to Alaska with RSVP in 2005 and I recently got an e-mail from Olivia promoting their cruise to Alaska coming up in September.

I started a GLBT roll call for my upcoming cruise, which is on May 13th, but so far I have only had one person respond and she only piped up once.

Ooooh, you are going further than I have ever gone! I have done the Inside Passage once before and I am going again in a couple of months. I would love to do the full Northbound or Southbound route. Cool!

hi woolfieboy!

my BF and i will be on the Mercury sailing parallel to you (at least in Juneau and Ketchikan). some friends of mine will be on the ms Amsterdam as well and staying in Seattle for a couple of days. any ideas for things to do/restaurants in the Capitol Hill neighborhood?

thanks!

Jeffrey

Hi back Jeffrey!

As far as good restaurants on the "Hill" are concerned, I would recommend 1200 Bistro, Crave, and Lark. Most of the other eating establishments are somewhat average as they are in most gay neighborhoods.

If your friends are here in Seattle for a few days they need to experience the majority of better restaurants in downtown Seattle! Daniel's Broiler, Ocean Aire, Dahlia Lounge, Lola, Etta's, Icon Grill, are all excellent and I would highly recommend them. Of course, eating down on the waterfront is a joy as well at Anthony's on Pier 66.:)

Michael

We like Elliots oyster bar over Anthonys. If you must try Anthonys, they have one in the airport terminal.

If you like artisans, seattle glassworks is interesting and free to watch artist blow glass pieces.:D

Dave:eek:

thanks for the input guys! it's pretty much the same in our gayborhood (Hillcrest) here in SD ... most restaurants are average. i'll be sure to pass on your recommendations.

looking forward to our cruise and waiving to you all as we sail through the inside passage. :D

Jeffrey

I did not find Alaskans to be homophobic. We were there in 2003 on a Princess cruise that was roundtrip out of Seattle. Our ports were Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Victoria.

We did Juneau on our own--taking the shuttle to the Mendenhall Glacier for a little hiking, touring the capitol, going to the state museum, and shopping along the way. In Skagway I arranged for us to take the ferry to Haines and did a kayaking excursion independently. It was just the two of us with a guide who was a college student from Idaho. And in Ketchikan we snorkeled on an excursion offered through Princess.

thanks for the input guys! it's pretty much the same in our gayborhood (Hillcrest) here in SD ... most restaurants are average. i'll be sure to pass on your recommendations.

looking forward to our cruise and waiving to you all as we sail through the inside passage. :D

Jeffrey

As much as I enjoy being highjacked:p I thought I'd bump this back to the original topic.;)

We did the Ryndam's 'final' 2007 Alaska cruise.

After asking repeatedly for a FOD party, they finally agreed to list one for night of our last Sea day.

LIST one. Not host it, not announce it in the daily 'Captains' chat, etc.

I guess that's a whole 'nother' thread.

--------------

For the most part, Alaska cruises seem to attract an older crowd. I imagine that most GLBT cruisers are looking for a more exciting experience, with a younger, more active crowd of shipmates. (And in warmer climates for obvious reasons.)

Our ports of call were Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. We did enjoy the cruise, were open in our status as a couple, and encountered no negative responses from anyone (except the cruise director - there I go again).

We were surprised the number of lesbian couples who showed up for the FOD party... they outnumbered the guys about 2-1.

That's just our one experience.

We did the Ryndam's 'final' 2007 Alaska cruise.

After asking repeatedly for a FOD party, they finally agreed to list one for night of our last Sea day.

LIST one. Not host it, not announce it in the daily 'Captains' chat, etc.

I guess that's a whole 'nother' thread.

--------------

For the most part, Alaska cruises seem to attract an older crowd. I imagine that most GLBT cruisers are looking for a more exciting experience, with a younger, more active crowd of shipmates. (And in warmer climates for obvious reasons.)

Our ports of call were Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. We did enjoy the cruise, were open in our status as a couple, and encountered no negative responses from anyone (except the cruise director - there I go again).

We were surprised the number of lesbian couples who showed up for the FOD party... they outnumbered the guys about 2-1.

That's just our one experience.

Thanks, HALFans, I'll let you know if my week was any better. Plan to look for a FOD listing as SOON as I get onboard. If I don't see one I'll start requesting:cool: ....and get more and more vocal as time goes by!:mad: If they want a QUIET cruise that week they better have some FOD meetings scheduled WELL before I get there!:eek: :p

We are scheduled on the southbound Celebrity Summit from Seward to Vancouver on July 27th, 2007. We already contacted Celebrity NOW to request an FOD party asap. We look forward to meeting others on board. We are doing the pre-cruise land portion from Fairbanks to Seward via Denali, Anchorage, Alyeska, etc. Anybody sailing with us? Let us know as soon as possible!

Mike and Bernie

It looks like my partner and I are heading to Alaska in late July aboard Sun Princess. We live in Seattle and the price is right for the round trip out of our home town.

We mostly cruise Princess because unlike HAL or Celebrity, Princess always hosts GLBT get togethers - no asking or begging required. I'm a teacher so I can't cruise RSVP or Atlantis - they always cruise during school. This cruise will be in celebration of 30 years for my partner with the same company (yes, we pay - not the company).

The one thing I'll miss on this Alaska cruise is scuba diving. Though I occasionally dive in Seattle, a cold water dive while on a cruise just doesn't seem right. I'm used to the Caribbean cruise dives. I think I'll spend my time on glaciers or on trails instead. Perhaps we will see some of you Cruise Critic gay folks on the cruise.

Me, my partner, my sister and her partner are cruising on The Pearl's last Alaska cruise for the season on September 16th. We'll be with about 10 family members--aunts, uncles, cousins....it's gonna be interesting!

I'm booked on the last Alaskan voyage for the ms Ryndam, September 16. This is my second trip to Alaska and first for my travelling partner. There was a FOD announcement one day (on my frist trip to Alaska, also on the Ryndam), I went but no one else showed. Depends on the crowd, certainly.

Archived