No Gays Going to Alaska????

SakeDad

Well we're going to Alaska for the 2nd time...but it IS one of the most homophobic of US States.

I am born and raised in Alaska, I live in a wonderful little town called Hoonah, located about 40 miles southwest of Juneau, both Hoonah AND Juneau, as well as the rest of the state is FAR FROM HOMOPHOBIC! I am Gay Native Male, in this little town I get the same amount of respect as everyone else, and in Juneau I get the same response, we don't let peoples sexuality get in the way of knowing each other.

I take personal offense to this, you generalized the whole state, not the individuals who may have been homophobic towards you. Homophobia exsists EVERYWHERE in the world, by different people different races etc. Watch what you say.

I am going on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas on May 12 via Vancouver BC. I am planning on going by myself again and I also noticed that I have not found anyone who is going here either.

My partner and I are booked on the Diamond Princess 6/2/07. We're also doing a week-long landtour to Prudhoe Bay prior to the cruise. Neither of us have been to Alaska before, nor have we gone on a cruise, but we're very excited!!

I am born and raised in Alaska, I live in a wonderful little town called Hoonah, located about 40 miles southwest of Juneau, both Hoonah AND Juneau, as well as the rest of the state is FAR FROM HOMOPHOBIC! I am Gay Native Male, in this little town I get the same amount of respect as everyone else, and in Juneau I get the same response, we don't let peoples sexuality get in the way of knowing each other.

I take personal offense to this, you generalized the whole state, not the individuals who may have been homophobic towards you. Homophobia exsists EVERYWHERE in the world, by different people different races etc. Watch what you say.

Whoah, Dude, hang on a second! Your state couldn't be statisfied with a Constitutional Amendment! Noooooo! They had to go back a second time and get it right by outlawing health benefits to domestic partners. Have you read the paper lately? They spent $1.2 million just asking the citizens whether they hate gays enough to disallow them state benefits for their partners (which cost only $300,000 a year). It passed by a comfy margin. Not only is that dumb in my opinion, it's hateful. If that's not homophobic, tell me what is. Take all the offense you want, just accept the reality of the situation. I'm glad you live in paradise, but your state IS homophobic, albeit so are at least 30+ other states. Alaska is just particularly so. Your mileage just differs - consider yourself lucky. Would that stop me from visiting? Good question.

• 1 month later...
Well we're going to Alaska for the 2nd time...but it IS one of the most homophobic of US States.
I am going for the beauty of the area before the global warming ruins it all. Od course, I worry about all these cruise ships adding to the global warming and pollution. It all is so sad.:(

My partner and I will be heading to Alaska soon. We're on the June 23rd sailing of the Diamond from Vancouver, then doing a 3 day cruisetour through Princess.

I CAN'T wait, it's going to be wonderful!

dogdoc2002

My partner, our 4 year old son and I will be on the Diamond out of Vancouver on 6/23 (hi dogdoc, still waiting to hear if you need witnesses for your wedding in van!) with my mother and her husband, my niece nad nephew. We have never been on a cruise, have never considered it, but Alaska seems like a place that is uniquely suited to a cruise- and we're going on my mom's nickel. We are insanely excited, as demonstrated by the fact that iam posting to CC when I should be asleep!

I suppose that if we were looking to party, cruise (so to speak) and were looking for a tropical scene (which we are NOT), alaska would not be for us. I expect to see things I will remember for the rest of my life.

I'm heading out of San Diego north to Alaska on June 10th onboard the Norwegian Pearl. From posting a roll call, I know there are two couples beside myself from Texas and Florida.

Looking forward to this trip as I only have about a week before I head off to Seattle for departure. From all the posts I've read and the pictures I've seen the Pearl is a beautiful and amazing ship. The ship is only about six months old which is pretty awesome. But no matter which ship any of us may be sailing on, it's bound to be an incredible vacation that we will never forget. :)

I'm heading out of San Diego north to Alaska on June 10th onboard the Norwegian Pearl. From posting a roll call, I know there are two couples beside myself from Texas and Florida.

Looking forward to this trip as I only have about a week before I head off to Seattle for departure. From all the posts I've read and the pictures I've seen the Pearl is a beautiful and amazing ship. The ship is only about six months old which is pretty awesome. But no matter which ship any of us may be sailing on, it's bound to be an incredible vacation that we will never forget. :)

If you like Norwegian, you will like the Pearl. I just came back from there a couple of weeks ago, her first trip to Alaska. I didn't like Mambo's very much but Lotus Garden was quite good!

My partner, our 4 year old son and I will be on the Diamond out of Vancouver on 6/23 (hi dogdoc, still waiting to hear if you need witnesses for your wedding in van!) with my mother and her husband, my niece nad nephew. We have never been on a cruise, have never considered it, but Alaska seems like a place that is uniquely suited to a cruise- and we're going on my mom's nickel. We are insanely excited, as demonstrated by the fact that iam posting to CC when I should be asleep!

I suppose that if we were looking to party, cruise (so to speak) and were looking for a tropical scene (which we are NOT), alaska would not be for us. I expect to see things I will remember for the rest of my life.

purplemjcat- I hadn't been on for a few days; work interferes with my internet time :D We are still looking for help, although the comissioner seemed to think we could grab strangers off the sidewalk without much problem (that should be interesting :)). If you're still out there, and willing to help, let me know.

dogdoc2002

hi woolfieboy!

my BF and i will be on the Mercury sailing parallel to you (at least in Juneau and Ketchikan). some friends of mine will be on the ms Amsterdam as well and staying in Seattle for a couple of days. any ideas for things to do/restaurants in the Capitol Hill neighborhood?

thanks!

Jeffrey

Which Mercury sailing are you on, Jeffrey? I just signed on to the 9/14 sailing - the last Alaska cruise of the season!

We are booked on RSVP Alaska September 7th, 2007. Looking forward to it. Alaska not my thing but other half wanted to go, and he couldn't make Caribbean this past February, so I relented. At least it's September.

woofieahoy-thanks for the Seattle restaurant tips. We have a trip to your beautiful city in July before the Sept cruise. We are driving up to Sequim to hubby's brother's vacation home. (HUbby's brother and wife live in Bend, OR)

Seward to Vancouver on Summit on July 27th. Getting married in Vancouver at Fairmont Waterfront on arrival August 3rd. VERY excited!! So what if we have the honeymoon BEFORE the wedding... we won't tell if yo don't! Taking the lad portion from Fairbanks to Seward from Jul 21 - 27th, which sounds almost ass exciting to us. May evem visit the ONE gay bar in the state in Anchorage... Let's hear from some of those people who are already back from theor trips!

Mike and Bernie

My partner and several of our friends will be traveling with royal carribbean on the vision of the seas, inside passage. Will any of you be joining us???

Norac

We are booked on RSVP Alaska September 7th, 2007. Looking forward to it. Alaska not my thing but other half wanted to go, and he couldn't make Caribbean this past February, so I relented. At least it's September.

Alot of folks have told me they were not really into Alaska until they saw some of my pictures. Go to my Alaska gallery below and MAYBE it will get you in the mood. I'm a man who LOVES the South Pacific and beaches but took Mom to Alaska. I wasn't all THAT excited either:rolleyes: , but as you see from the pictures I fell in love with it and the scenery and wildlife can't be beat! Not saying they'll make you give up the Caribbean but maybe you'll find something in them to get you in the mood to "chill" for a week.:D

We are taking the Summit Aug 10 2007 Seward-Vancouver through Pied Piper and looking forward to meeting others. Who is going? If anyone has done this itinerary or cruised Celebrity before can they share experiences?

David and Dave

My partner and I just booked the 7-day Noordam voyage leaving Seattle on 8/26/2007. This will be our 21st cruise but first to Alaska. We're both looking forward to seeing something new. I had some convincing to do to get my better half to go but from what I hear, that will all change once he sees the beauty.

MarylandBob

Great pics sakedad---thanks for sharing those. What a wonderful trip for your mom. I'm on an Alaska cruise in September with my mom and 15 other family members, so it should be interesting. I'm kinda like you--I like the warm beaches but I'll do anything for mom. :)

My partner and I just booked the 7-day Noordam voyage leaving Seattle on 8/26/2007. This will be our 21st cruise but first to Alaska. We're both looking forward to seeing something new. I had some convincing to do to get my better half to go but from what I hear, that will all change once he sees the beauty.

MarylandBob

Show him my pics.....it's the EXACT trip you will be doing. Hopeully that will get his Alaska interest up.:D What cabin type? I have several different cabin pics on my gallery as well. You'll LOVE the Noordam and the ports she visits. If you need any excursion help let me know.:) My email is VegasPlay at cox dot net

Sakedad...

I Noticed You Took Alot Of Pics Of The Cute Male Performers...is There Something You Want To Tell Us About That Made Your Cruise "extra" Special????

I Switched To The Oosterdam Sailing From Noordam ( I Think U Saw My Thread On Hal Board)...i Hope We Have Some Of Those Boys Too (well, One Will Do)...i May Need A "diversion" From The Family!

MarylandBob

I think that you & your partner are in for a wonderful experience! After many years of cruising, last year was my first tiime doing so in Alaska and I liked it so much that I went back this year. You truly feel that you are the first person to travel through this seemingly unspoiled land, even though you know that isn't true. The long hours of sunlight allow plenty of time to enjoy the beautiful scenery while dining or just enjoying a drink. The ports are fun with many opportunities for enjoying even more vistas, nature, and culture. While the float plane and expensive excursions were out of the range of my budget, I had a fantastic time seeing charming Hoonah, the home of a previous poster, AlaskaGayMale, while at Icy Straight Point. The hike up Mt. Roberts in Juneau (free trip down on the tram) was a great experience and the Holland America whale watching excursion in Juneau was fantastic.

I know you will love the Noordam and hope you have a fantatic trip!

Archived