Connie or Century for our first Europe trip?

twobluecats

We are excited about the new Europe itineraries for 2008 as we are planning to book one on our April 8 Hawaii cruise. This will be our first venture to Europe and I like the Northern Europe or Baltic itineraries, and I love the idea of cruising since we'll have someone to take care of many of the details of foreign travel for us. We've cruised on only the Millenium Class ships, so the Century would be new for us.

Of the two ships, which would you suggest, and why?

In traveling to Europe, my first concern would be the ports. If you notice, you will have a lot of port days. Another thing that would help would be, what kind of cabin do you like to book. There are differences there.

The Century has recently been upgraded to compete with the newer ships in the market. Now it still doesn't have a ton of WOW features, they have upgraded what they had. The biggest difference between the two will be the Theralassopy pool, Connie has one and Century doesn't

We generally book a CC cabin, and we scored an aft cabin for the Hawaii trip. In fact, I was hoping to book early enough this time to do the same. Looks like, however, that with the port-intensive schedules, the room/amenities onboard may not be near the factor that they have been on domestic or caribbean cruises.

All things being equal port wise I'd book the Connie. When they took away the indoor pool on the Century they took away a place to lounge when the weather is not so nice. We did Northern Europe in July and on the sea days it wasn't warm enough to sit outside so we were glad to have an indoor lounge space.

We have never been on the Century, but next month will be our third time on the Connie. We did the Baltic on the Connie last year. It was fantastic!! It was also our second time to the Baltic (the first was on the Jewel of the Seas in '04). We would go back to the Baltic this year and yearly if we could afford those prices! Even though it is port intensive, your cabin is still important as a nice relaxing haven after your shore excursions and for sea days. The Connie is going into drydock after our T/A and the short cruise after ours and before this year's Baltic. So, she should look really good after that. She is the best and the sevice is wonderful!

Joyce

Well, I was checking out the 9-night Ireland and Scotland in April (Connie), 12-night Scotland and Ireland (on Century) May 17, and the 14-night Scandinavia and Russia on May 17 (Connie).

Of the three, only the 9-night cruise had an aft cabin. Of course, the aft cabin is not the deal breaker for us, but it's a nice itinerary, and with a few extra days in London, we might not mind a shorter cruise. I booked it!

I went ahead and booked the air as a quick glance at this years fares between DFW and LON are within $50 or so of the quote Celebrity gave me. I can always cancel the airfare and transfers if we find something better.

Does anyone know if Celebrity will allow you to book your air fare for earlier (or later) dates to allow for extra time in the departure (or arrival) city?

Just remember that that Ireland, Scotland cruise may be the one right before the drydock/refurbishment. The cabins all have the original bedding and when I was on the Connie last May (Baltic), the cabins needed some cosmetic work (chipped and cracked vanities, stained bedspread, etc). So, if that doesn't bother you, you will have a great time on a great ship. I'd personally do the Baltic.

Yes, the drydock is this year after the Ireland, Scotland cruise-that's the cruise after the this year's transatlantic. I guess you must have meant 2008. A lot of people book at the last minute. Sorry. I do think you can add days before or after your trip. Check with their custom air at Celebrity. We always do our own since British Air has a non stop (loooong) flight from Heathrow to Phoenix and we hate changing planes and going through customs.

have enjoyed Constellation & heard good things about the Baltic Itin. We are doing a med cruise on Century in Sept & hope it is also nice--I still believe there is an indoor oasis pool on board but not the famed T pool. The T pool on Connie is nice but nothing like the one on Mercury or QM2 , Our medit itin is very port intensive so I am not sure how much pool & spa time we willl have! Enjoy whichever you select!

have enjoyed Constellation & heard good things about the Baltic Itin. We are doing a med cruise on Century in Sept & hope it is also nice--I still believe there is an indoor oasis pool on board but not the famed T pool. The T pool on Connie is nice but nothing like the one on Mercury or QM2 , Our medit itin is very port intensive so I am not sure how much pool & spa time we willl have! Enjoy whichever you select!

Sorry, there is no indoor pool on Century, not even the small one like on Mercury ( Century isn't identical twin). I am somewhat upset that they also took away T-Pool on Century, I enjoyed it on both Century and Mercury.

twobluecats,

We are excited about the new Europe itineraries for 2008 as we are planning to book one on our April 8 Hawaii cruise. This will be our first venture to Europe and I like the Northern Europe or Baltic itineraries, and I love the idea of cruising since we'll have someone to take care of many of the details of foreign travel for us. We've cruised on only the Millenium Class ships, so the Century would be new for us.

Of the two ships, which would you suggest, and why?

I suggest both, as often as possible!

Seriously, I think that MV Century has a better selection of itineraries than GTS Constellation for the European season. The facilities are petty much a trade-off (GTS Constellation has a specialty restaurant, but MV Century has an additional night club with live music for dancing and other additional entertainment). Menus, service, etc., should be pretty much the same on both ships.

Norm.

Norm, the Century has a small but fantatic specialty restaurant called Murano. Very very nice.

We have been on the Constellation 3 times in the last four years and recently tried Century (this past Feb) We love them both but would give the Constellation the nod. We love the funky artwork (I know some hate it) and the T Pool is great.

But, you can't go wrong with either.

emcee207,

Norm, the Century has a small but fantatic specialty restaurant called Murano. Very very nice.

You're right! In a memory lapse, I forgot that they added one last year. Now, I'm wondering whether or not they will do likewise aboard MV Galaxy and MV Mercury during their next yard visits....

Norm.

Archived