PEARL for Alaska

ChicagoMatt

I am considering booking the Pearl for Alaska in Late July. My travel agent said she had not heard good things about the staff on the Pearl. Any comments? Any overall experiences - I am not sure the Pearl has traveled Alaska yet this season.

I have to assume your TA has not been on the Pearl. The crew is made up of the best of the best from the NCL fleet. I was on the first real cruise of the Pearl on the transatlantic. The ship 's crew was working together like a ship that had been in service for months not weeks.

If you are consdering NCL - the Pearl may be your best choice.

Not sure what your TA has "heard" about the Pearl but I strongly recommend that you read these boards carefully regarding Pearl reviews. The reviews range overall from great to outstanding as far as amenities, services, attitude of the crew, etc. The Pearl has NOT done Alaska yet - she's only 4 months old and is still doing the Caribbean (we're on her 4/13/07).

Ask your TA for specifics - read these boards and ask questions on this and other cruise-related boards (which you're doing right now) and then decide. Ask your TA if he/she has cruised on the Pearl and can relate personal experiences.

Some board members (I think snorklin' barb for one) have already cruised on the Pearl 2 or 3 times - why would they do that if the Pearl had a problem crew?:eek:

All I know is that DH and I can't wait to be on the Pearl - 28 days from now:D .

and it was our BEST cruise ever!

Your TA needs to double check with her sources. And you should do a

"search" for the Pearl's reviews or check some of our rollcalls. I'm sure you will find 99.5% of those on this ship agree - it is the best!

We will also be on the Pearl for an Alaskan cruise in May and are sure it will be equally as impressive!

speaking of NCL to alaska, we did the NCL star last sept. the pearl will be doing the route we took on the star..glacier bay.

i can't think of a better way to see the inside passage then with NCL's freestyle dining. we had my FIL with us, he has health issues..on days he was not on a regular dining schedule..we were still able to get him good food. on day i felt like a salald, i could find one. the chili from blue lagoon was great after coming back from port, all wet and chilled (we were there late in the season).

the best plus was not having to pack suit/ties/ high heels and such. all things that just don't fit into my image of alaska. if you do go on the pearl and you do get a balcony room, get it on the port side. when any ship cruise through glacier bay, all the sights are on the port side. the park rangers keep you well informedd about what's on the PORT side.

OP - My travel companion and I just returned from the Pearl, and we received the worst service we have ever had on a cruise. :( I am a regular cruiser and sailed on the NCL Sun a couple years back (and had a great time then). I do not want to write about it too much on a forum such as this yet, because I am contacting corporate, but please send me an e-mail if you are interested in our experience. I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but I found some of ours on this cruise truly unsettling and certainly unacceptable by the industry's standards. We will be booking with RCI, Princess, and Carnival in the future. uflaw23@yahoo.com

I always pay a lot of attention to the crew and have to say that this group in Feb. was outstanding! They were excellent in Dec. as well on the TA but now are in a good groove together.

I won't be emailing to find out why envirolawyer had terrible service, but this is a public forum so why not post it here? It's really unusual to find fault with the crew so it would be interesting to uncover the problems.

Here's a link to my "Groundhogs" review with lots of info on the staff & crew. Again, they were simply superb! It's one of the things that keeps us coming back to NCL.:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=496216

I've heard great things about the Pearl and will be sailing on her in May. I dunno about the one negative post, but the tagline of the person says it all.

That's not to say that someone can't have a negative experience, but that's very individualized. You can have a myriad of experiences from just one trip, so I say pick the itinerary, price, and cruiseline that you want. For me, freestyle is my preference so NCL is my cruise line of choice.

I had one negative about our stateroom on our last cruise (Jewel in the Med) to which NCL responded with a credit post-cruise of over $1400. Even had they not done that I would still prefer NCL. I like everything about them.

Got to agree with the majority here. I found the crew to be exceptional. With 2400 people on a ship, there'll always be a few that find things unacceptable, like the lady in the buffet line in front of me that wanted her eggs "over easy", but "make sure the whites and yellows are both hard". How do you do that?:D

I think 7Seas is the reason a lot of people don't come forward. With unnecessary, immature, personal attacks like that, who wants to deal with it? :rolleyes: Unfortunately, a lot of posters get flamed when writing ANYTHING negative about a cruise.

While some people write opinions/complaints on their personal preferences (decor, cabin size, etc), and others call names and fight about how wrong they are, I would find it hard for someone to think that a rude cabin steward who never even introduced himself to us, has a line of terrible behavior during our stay, and at the end of the cruise barges into our cabin without knocking at 7 am (while we are still in bed in our underwear!!) is acceptable.

Or how about an NCL crew member suggesting the females in the room, who happened to be primarily 25 years and younger, (who knows how young - it said "adult" content, but they don't ID!) to take off their "g strings" and bras (at various points) and then kiss each other in front of a packed Spinnaker Lounge as part of "the Quest". I'm not an old fogey or a prude, but I found this unacceptable for a major cruiseline - not to mention pretty degrading. Carnival spent a lot of money to shed the image that NCL seemed eager to gain on this cruise. And, I never saw anything like this on Carnival - or any other ship for that matter.

Have you ever been on an NCL cruise that didn't even offer lobster in the main dining room? All I am saying, is that compared to the nine other cruises I have been on, including the NCL Sun a couple years ago, which was great, something was definitely not right. I wrote to OP and told him that everyone has different experiences, and that we did not have a completely miserable time (it would be hard to because I love cruising so much), but that this sailing was not up to industry standards. I feel that OP's travel agent wasn't just making something up to deter him from taking an expensive cruise on the Pearl to Alaska. Sounds like that travel agent was just trying to do his or her job right. :)

Ok 7 Seas, you can attack me again now, but I won't be responding to your attacks in the future.

I think 7Seas is the reason a lot of people don't come forward. With unnecessary, immature, personal attacks like that, who wants to deal with it? :rolleyes: Unfortunately, a lot of posters get flamed when writing ANYTHING negative about a cruise.

While some people write opinions/complaints on their personal preferences (decor, cabin size, etc), and others call names and fight about how wrong they are, I would find it hard for someone to think that a rude cabin steward who never even introduced himself to us, has a line of terrible behavior during our stay, and at the end of the cruise barges into our cabin without knocking at 7 am (while we are still in bed in our underwear!!) is acceptable.

Or how about an NCL crew member suggesting the females in the room, who happened to be primarily 25 years and younger, (who knows how young - it said "adult" content, but they don't ID!) to take off their "g strings" and bras (at various points) and then kiss each other in front of a packed Spinnaker Lounge as part of "the Quest". I'm not an old fogey or a prude, but I found this unacceptable for a major cruiseline - not to mention pretty degrading. Carnival spent a lot of money to shed the image that NCL seemed eager to gain on this cruise. And, I never saw anything like this on Carnival - or any other ship for that matter.

Have you ever been on an NCL cruise that didn't even offer lobster in the main dining room? All I am saying, is that compared to the nine other cruises I have been on, including the NCL Sun a couple years ago, which was great, something was definitely not right. I wrote to OP and told him that everyone has different experiences, and that we did not have a completely miserable time (it would be hard to because I love cruising so much), but that this sailing was not up to industry standards. I feel that OP's travel agent wasn't just making something up to deter him from taking an expensive cruise on the Pearl to Alaska. Sounds like that travel agent was just trying to do his or her job right. :)

Ok 7 Seas, you can attack me again now, but I won't be responding to your attacks in the future.

1. I am not 7seaslover but I will respond. (and I have not cruised the Pearl yet!!!)

2. Which ship had the guy so drunk, he ran and jumped into the sea while sailing??? Carnival

3. I have friends that refuse to cruise Carnival again because of the party ship attitude and the college students (law students) that cruise for the binge drinking that takes place.

4. Does any ship offer "whole" lobster in the dining room? No. But they do offer tails on the first sea day.

I'm curious, Envirolawyer? How long was your Pearl cruise? Your's is the first post I've read in a long time about lobster not being available on the menu in the main dining room. It would be interesting to know if it is available on the longer cruises (7+) days but not on the shorter ones.

We're booked on the Pearl to Alaska and I have no qualms about the ship, or the crew. We have several people on our roll-call who have sailed the Pearl previously (including OceanDreaming2), and your post is one of the few negative ones I've read. I'd never have started cruising if I'd paid attention to the negative reviews that I read on the old NCL Sea before we sailed.

For me, lobster not being on the menu wouldn't be a problem at all. I don't care for it, and it's never one of my choices anyway. My DH, on the other hand, would be upset. It's a matter of personal opinion.

Did you complain about your rude room steward while on the cruise? If he was really out of line, you should have let the management know that there was a problem. We had room stewards on the Sun who were totally invisible and never did introduce themselves, but our room was kept clean, so it didn't ruin our trip. Obviously, the problem with him barging in at 7 on the last morning couldn't have been solved while on the cruise. I hope you are able to get NCL to address your complaints in the letter you plan on writing. I sent in a suggestion letter following our cruise on the Jewel -- not complaints, just a couple of suggestions -- and was very satisfied with the way they addressed my issues.

The Quest problem also sounds like management needs to know about that issue. As far as comparing NCL to the image that Carnival is trying to shed, I'm coming back around to the matter of the length of the cruise. If you just barely got off the ship, and it was a 5 day cruise (just my guess), I'm betting that you had the unfortunate experience of being on a cruise with lots of the wild "spring break" party crowd.

We've heard the same complaints about Carnival, but they tend to be mostly from folks who do the shorter 3 or 4 day Mexican cruises, which tend to draw that same young, rowdy, party crowd. Definitely not my scene -- so I've avoided the shorter cruises on any cruise line. As far as a rowdy crowd on my upcoming Alaskan trip, I'm not even mildly concerned. Totally different demographics in Alaska!

Thank you for sharing your issues with the cruise. It helps everyone decide if what was a problem for you will be a problem for them if it happens.

One word of caution better stay away from RCI as well. NCL stole Quest adult game from RCI and you find the same silliness on their ships..

Surprised there was not lobster on your cruise - That would be the first time I have seen a post about a Pearl cruise without them being served the first formal optional (night to dress up) onboard . If it was the 5 day that may have been the reason. Many lines do not serve lobster on their short cruises. Keep in mind you could get a whole lobster every night at Cagney's.

Bad cabin steward is always a drag and the luck of the draw on any ship.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise more.

As I stated previously, OUR experience with the staff and crew of the Pearl was outstanding. Our cabin stewards were friendly and polite. We had one occurance of the butler ringing the doorbell and entering when I was in the shower, but it was my fault. I failed to put the Do Not Disturb sign out. I don't know who was more embarrassed!!! Perhaps Elawyer had a similar situation?

As I stated previously, OUR experience with the staff and crew of the Pearl was outstanding. Our cabin stewards were friendly and polite. We had one occurance of the butler ringing the doorbell and entering when I was in the shower, but it was my fault. I failed to put the Do Not Disturb sign out. I don't know who was more embarrassed!!! Perhaps Elawyer had a similar situation?

and with all the UF spring breakers onboard the Do Not Disturb may have been set before they went to bed and changed in the middle of the night to "Please Make up Cabin" :eek: :D

"We had room stewards on the Sun who were totally invisible and never did introduce themselves, but our room was kept clean, so it didn't ruin our trip."

We've found that many of the room stewards are quite shy. If you take the time to say "hello" and ask them about themselves (where they're from, how long they've been onboard, etc) and ask about their family, they seem to open up. On our last cruise we had to seek out our room stewards and told them they were doing a great job.:)

I was rather upset with some fellow passengers who would always complain and talk down to them. The room stewards work really hard and for the most part, do a wonderful job! At least we've never had a problem!

Brunlovr -- I totally agree with you. The Sun was our 2nd cruise, and I don't know that we put quite as much effort out as we should have done, but when we did say "Hi", we got a smile in exchange, but no conversation. I think there may have been a language barrier -- but no problem, the room was kept immaculate, which I'm sure wasn't easy since there were 4 of us in the room.

On our next 2 cruises, we spent quite a bit of time talking with the stewards. Both of the stewards were from the Philippines, and we got to know quite a bit about their families and their home countries. I certainly can't imagine working on a ship for a 9 or 10 month contract and not being able to see my family for that length of time! I don't think the work they do get nearly the appreciation that it deserves.

Your reaction just confirms what I said.

Your research wasn't what it should have been or you would have... well never mind; let's just say your research was poor, at best.

Nobody "attacked" you. READ what I wrote. If you consider that an attack then it's understandable why you're complaining about your Pearl cruise.

Nevertheless, people are entitled to opinions and now you've shared yours. That's good. I've shared mine and that's ok too. The OP now has a variety of responses, and that's what these forums are all about.

Have a nice day. :)

lobster is not always available, it's seasonal. once a while, others (other cruise lines) have posted the crab was offered instead. lobster have been known to have problems that makes them, at time, not fit for human consumption. another cruise said that they had not lobster, the crate was left in the sun on deck and the lobster had died. the more you travel the more things like that just happen...that's why everyone says there is no perfect cruise (or resort or vacation)..things just happen. so, yes, i have heard of cruises not having lobster.

even at my age i would never go to a "quest" game. not that i would be offended, but i don't find stuff like that funny. thank goodness since they don't tie me down, i can leave whenever i want. (and do)

oh, i forgot..

on our first cruise, it was an older ship..i was dressing in the bathroom (door was open), DH was dressing by the bed...they did come in. no problem, said they were sorry and they came back later. many, many times i have had room service at hotels walk in.

on the new ships and hotel rooms, they have those door latches to prevent this. they work really, really well.

next cruise or hotel you use, make sure you use the latch (door stop).

Am I missing something... I didn't see any fighting attack words in 7 Seas post and I read it three times now???

I think every cruise ship and line will have positive and negatives and even at some point there is bound to be an issue... I think you just can't take one bad experience or review and base an entire opinion on the line or ship.... Know what you want from your experience, do as much reseach as you can and pick what best fits your wants! I personally enjoy NCL and Carnival the most and have had two bad experiences on Royal Caribbean... but that doesn't mean I will never cruise Royal Caribbean again... it just probably won't be my first choice.

Archived