TSA Locks, Zip Ties or nothing on Luggage??

Hi,

You've helped me in case my luggage was lost by airlines, so now my question is, do you use TSA locks, which I have 6 of, zip ties (have those too) , or nothing at all? We are flying in from Detroit Metro Airport to Bush Airport, Houston, Texas and I don't know what to do :confused: I don't want to make security mad or get my luggage cut open either. Any advise???

Thanks 7 more days!!!! :D

Lori

I always use TSA Locks when I fly. Knock on wood, none have been cut. I do suggest buying TSA locks that come with a replacement warranty should your locks get cut. I also travel with a few extra in the unfortunate incident that they do cut your locks. I also bought the locks with the indicator light so you know if your luggage was opened. As long as their pass key works, they won't cut your locks. You may have to remove your locks at the pier though. It just depends.

Never have had an issue with the TSA locks and we have found the paper in there saying they searched. All the locks were put right back into place. BUT I also never put anything of value, even costume jewelry I pack in my carryon and all medications.

We just flew US Air and they lost two of our TSA locks. But can't complain too much seeing that they put us up in a hotel becasue our flight left without us heading home due to some computer issues and flew us out the next day.

What are TSA locks?

We have 2 Samsonite cases - should we leave them open - they have integral combination locks.

Would you advice us to buy soft sided cases with seperate locks?

Flying from the UK to New York.

Thanks.:(

What are TSA locks?

We have 2 Samsonite cases - should we leave them open - they have integral combination locks.

Hey Bozza,

TSA locks are sort of standardized locks which the Transportation Security Administration has keys for, so they can open your luggage.

Thing is that post-9/11, American authorities randomly check luggage which you have checked, so this is one way for them to be able to do so.

With combination locks, just put some duct tape next to the lock, write the correct numbers on it, and TSA will have their peace of mind.

(Someone will probably point out now that this also gives any thief the right code... that's certainly true, but I don't believe for a minute that those rinkidink locks have ever stopped any thief in the first place. They're only good to keep the suitcase from popping open - which is good enough, as you'll probably keep valuables in your carry-on anyway...)

G.

None of the above. We use regular locks (not TSA) and our luggage has never been opened. Anyone traveling with unlocked luggage is asking to be robbed.

And anyone travelling with locked soft sided luggage is living with a false sense of security. Putting a lock, TSA or not, on a piece of luggage with a zipper is like putting a padlock on a screen door.

Hi,

You've helped me in case my luggage was lost by airlines, so now my question is, do you use TSA locks, which I have 6 of, zip ties (have those too) , or nothing at all? We are flying in from Detroit Metro Airport to Bush Airport, Houston, Texas and I don't know what to do :confused: I don't want to make security mad or get my luggage cut open either. Any advise???

Thanks 7 more days!!!! :D

Lori

We use zip ties and have had them cut off and replaced before during flights. They replace them with zip ties; white zip ties as I recall.

We have soft sided luggage and always use wire twist ties. Our luggage has been searched many times and they just put the letter inside along with the twist ties. Never had anything stolen, and never put any valuables in our luggage anyway.

HAPPY CRUISING! :)

We use the ties as well but the kind you have to cut and then put some on top inside.. that way we can at least tell if someone has been in the luggage since we last saw it.. twisties can be replaced. TSA is supposed to put a form in there when they open your luggage

We always use TSA locks and have never had any problems. My Brotherin-in-law works for one of the major airlines and has always said to use somekind of lock. Anyone looking to go through luggage wants to get in and out fast, so we have always used those little silver locks (and never had anything missing) until security became so tight. Since then we have been using the TSA locks.

I use TSA approved locks. I do not put anything of significant value into my checked luggage. The locks are to keep the bag from inadvertently opening, and to deter anyone from adding or subtracting anything from my luggage. If someone wants to get in, they will no matter what kind of luggage or lock system you have. TSA always leaves a note when they have gone through my luggage. One time when they did, the lock was missing; another time while the lock was locked, the luggage was not. While this really doesn't apply to this group, TSA almost always opens and inspects the contents of my ski bag, and every time I have been inspected by TSA it has been my ski bag and never my other check piece of luggage.

TSA locks are the best way to go. BUT not for international travel. International airport employees do not have the keys to access the luggage. My son travels with his golf clubs and his travel bag with the clubs is always opened, and they leave a note that the bag was searched.

We are driving to the port do we still need to lock our luggage? Do they scan or open the luggage before they take it to your room? My luggage came with locks where can i buy TSA locks?

Hi, I bought mine at Wal-Marts and Targets! They have all kinds of them, make sure they say TSA on it!!! I wonder what makes them choose certain bags to look at? I was going to bring a box of wine, do you think its safe to bring and won't break? That would give me a violated feeling thinking someone was peeking through my undies :eek: and what not! I just hope if they are opened they would have the deceny to put things back or heaven forbid don't steal things. What a way to start a trip!

Lori :)

We are driving to the port do we still need to lock our luggage? Do they scan or open the luggage before they take it to your room? My luggage came with locks where can i buy TSA locks?

If you are not flying, then just use regular locks on the luggage. We don't fly, and I always lock our luggage. TSA locks are primarily for flying, and they are available at AAA, Brookstone, or any luggage store.

We don't even use TSA locks when flying--it's NOT a requirement! We use regular keyed locks (the kind you get in hardware stores--not the little things that come on the luggage!) and we've never had a problem. If they want to get in my bag, they can cut the damn thing off, but since I don't carry anything "suspicious", it's never happened.

Hi, I bought mine at Wal-Marts and Targets! They have all kinds of them, make sure they say TSA on it!!! I wonder what makes them choose certain bags to look at? I was going to bring a box of wine, do you think its safe to bring and won't break? That would give me a violated feeling thinking someone was peeking through my undies :eek: and what not! I just hope if they are opened they would have the deceny to put things back or heaven forbid don't steal things. What a way to start a trip!

Lori :)

I pack my undies and "what not" in zip lock bags. That way if I do get search, they can just squish the bag and realize that nothing else is in it. They might open the zip lock too but I have convinced myself that they don't!!!:D

We have for many years used the zip ties. TSA always replaces them when they search our luggage. But since I am hearing more and more about theft from luggage we are going to buy the TSA locks for the main compartment of our luggage and put the zips on the outside pockets.

I like to use the space bags for all our underwear and TSA has never opened these bags to pick through them.

Theft at the pier/ship has been talked about on these boards so always put some kind of lock or zipties on all your luggage when boarding and when putting your luggage in the hallway that last evening.

Carry anything of value in your carry on bag, this goes for your kids bags also!

My son would be very upset to loose his Ipod, DS or his homework for that matter...

Bev

Archived