Severe contact allergies

newercruiser

I have been diagnosed with having severe contact allergies to frangrances. This means that my bed clothes, towels, etc. have to be washed in fragrance-free detergent or I will get a pretty bad rash.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and how you handled it on a cruise ship. I was going to bring some laundry detergent and re-wash the sheets on my bed a few times during the cruise and ask the steward only to make the bed and not change the sheets. I will also bring my own pillow cases and hair towels (the skin on my face and scalp is the most sensitive to the allergies) and wash them as needed also. We are on the 7 day Pearl cruise to Alaska in May and they have laundry facilities on our floor.

Does that sound like it will work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

My sister-in-law had severe reactions to fragrances and she even brought her own sheets wherever she went. She would also notify hotels where she would stay to inquire about alternative cleaning supplies to be used in her room.

I always bring my own bath and face towels... it is a pain, but better than breaking out in a rash! I have been okay with the bedding... for me it is just the towels. I am severly allergic to Bounce, can't even touch the box! Even if you call the cruise line, I wouldn't trust it, as things can change, so bring your own stuff and you should be fine!

Here is a product you might find useful for travel-- a cotton sleep sack that you use instead of, or in addition to, hotel bedding. I have seen sleep sacks in larger sizes, and made of other fabrics, as well; I would suggest a google search.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=36

Thanks to all who replied! I appreciate the advice and I think I will bring my fragrance-free detergent and, who knows, maybe I'll buy one of those cotton sacks. I never knew such a thing existed!

I could never imagine that I would develope these strange allergies all of a sudden at the age of 44. What a pain! It tooks 10 doctors to diagnose what was wrong with me when I got this blood-red rash on my face and my hair started falling out. Pretty!!!:eek:

Thanks again!

I could never imagine that I would develope these strange allergies all of a sudden at the age of 44. What a pain! It tooks 10 doctors to diagnose what was wrong with me when I got this blood-red rash on my face and my hair started falling out. Pretty!!!:eek:

Thanks again!

I can't imagine that happening and not knowing why.

Thanks to all who replied! I appreciate the advice and I think I will bring my fragrance-free detergent and, who knows, maybe I'll buy one of those cotton sacks. I never knew such a thing existed!

Thanks again!

I guess the body does crazy things. I never had an allergy a day in my life until my mid-twenties. Now I am allergic to all types of things, I end up being tested every year.

My sister talked me into going with her on the Pearl to Alaska in July, and the last month or so she has developed an allergy to shellfish so severe that the smell of cooked shellfish gives her a very severe reaction....Her doc said these later in life allergies are usually more severe and hit with a vengence.

We are not seafood eaters anyway, just wonder how they will separate her from it on the cruise>>>

What ship are you sailing? Not all ships have self-serve laundry so you may not be able to wash your sheets yourself. Be sure to check that out before bringing along detergent.

I think the sleep sac idea is a great one. :)

I also never had an allergy in my whole life until this past year (at the age of 60, for crying out loud), I have developed contact dermatitis on my lips if I use any kind of lipper that has fragrance in it. I get all these yucky blisters all around my lips. I had to throw away all my yummy Body Works mango lippers and I now use plain vaseline. Sheesh.

I have this same issue. I am aslo allergic to all metals except gold and paltinum. Even when it says hypo-allerginic my ears get red and puffy. But when it comes to frangance free stuff I am not a severe as you. I just get red bumps everywhere if I sleeping in a bed more then a couple days. As long as my cloths are okay, I noramlly good to go. My cruise will be two weeks long so I defently need to think of somthing or this trip could turn really itchy. Cant bring sheets and stuff cause wont have enough room already. Thanks for some ideas to think about.

I've developed allergies to frangrances within the last few years. I didn't have a problem with the sheets on the Dawn at all. Believe it or not, the only place I've had a problem recently was during a hospital stay. I broke out in a rash from the neck down from their sheets. (mine are more severe on my lower extremities). The hospital had to get me sterile OR packs from Central Supply for my bedding.

• 8 years later...

Sorry for bringing to life an old thread. However, I do have allergies to most fragrance in detergents.

Does anyone know if NCL uses fragrance free detergent? It is hit and miss in hotels (some I am fine and others not so much). I will bring my own pillow case but wondering if anyone in the CC community knows the answer.

Thanks

Dena

Sorry for bringing to life an old thread. However, I do have allergies to most fragrance in detergents.

Does anyone know if NCL uses fragrance free detergent? It is hit and miss in hotels (some I am fine and others not so much). I will bring my own pillow case but wondering if anyone in the CC community knows the answer.

Thanks

Dena

I am also very sensitive, and haven't had any problem on NCL. I use all fragrance fee stuff at home & take my own body wash etc,

I have been diagnosed with having severe contact allergies to frangrances. This means that my bed clothes, towels, etc. have to be washed in fragrance-free detergent or I will get a pretty bad rash.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had this problem and how you handled it on a cruise ship. I was going to bring some laundry detergent and re-wash the sheets on my bed a few times during the cruise and ask the steward only to make the bed and not change the sheets. I will also bring my own pillow cases and hair towels (the skin on my face and scalp is the most sensitive to the allergies) and wash them as needed also. We are on the 7 day Pearl cruise to Alaska in May and they have laundry facilities on our floor.

Does that sound like it will work? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a life threatening allergy to pistachio nuts and am also allergic to down. I told my TA about my pistachio allergy, but not my down as I forgot about it. I read something on here that I should have gotten an email from NCL about it, and since I didn't, I wrote to AccessDesk@ncl.com and informed them.

I would suggest you also send an email to AccessDesk@ncl.com and let them know you can't have any bedding that has been washed with any product that has fragrance in it. You should get an email back from them.

I am also very sensitive, and haven't had any problem on NCL. I use all fragrance fee stuff at home & take my own body wash etc,

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Haven't had problems on other cruise lines but it has been a few years since I sailed NCL.

However, I do have allergies to most fragrance in detergents.

Does anyone know if NCL uses fragrance free detergent?

Thanks

Dena

I wouldn't count on it. I am allergic to fragrances, and have discovered that there is a lot of confusion (on the part of people who don't suffer from this) between fragrance-free and unscented. It's hard to be sure anyone is using true fragrance-free products.

I think if this is your allergy you better bring your own sheets. There is no public laundry and the sinks are way to small for you to wash your sheets or anything larger than a pillow case....maybe

We are a family of sensitive skin people and no one has ever had any issues with the sheets or towels on any ship.

If the access desk is not able to manage this request, you could look into a sleep sack. I use a silk one that I bought from Mountain Equipment Coop when travelling to some countries. It is not very "romantic", but better than hives or eczema. I hang it each morning to air out.