Passengers being bumped in Baltimore

robin200

Karen and I are on the same sailing. I had quite the scare a few weeks ago when I called Carnival to make my final payment, and the woman asked if I was sure I was booked. I don't know what she was looking at on her end, but she didn't think my booking # was valid. I told her it showed up on Carnival's website, so she had me on hold for about the longest 5 minutes of my life. When she came back on, she said we were ok, and said it looked like I was part of a group booking. I told her I booked directly through Carnival, so I didn't know how that could be possible.

She took my cc number, and a few days later the charge posted. I now show a zero balance due on their website. I'm still concerned though, because I booked a 1A guarantee. I would imagine I'd be a pretty easy target for bumping!

So, let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't get that phone call!

Actually right now it's not the 3 hour drive to NYC, but the new security getting into the city that will be a pain for cruisers headed there. Wow! Really feel bad for all of you stressing over this. Hope it turns out in your favor! ;)

Even if cruisers opt for the New York cruise, they will still have to drive there. I think it about 3-4 hours from Baltimore. If some decided to take an airplane there, will Carnival pay for it?
No, I think Carnival was providing shuttle buses to transport passengers from Baltimore to NYC.

I live in Baltimore...and the only reason the story was even written was because of the jockey. Do you think that if it had been the average citizen that was bumped, that a major city publication would have printed the story.

It was a large article on the front page of the "Maryland" section of the paper.

There is also some hidden messages in the article. Carnival will not have any sailings out of Baltimore in 2005, although all of their cruises have been sold out. Rumor where I work is that Carnival is upset with Baltimore because of the depth of the harbor and the terminal facilites.

I live in Baltimore...and the only reason the story was even written was because of the jockey. Do you think that if it had been the average citizen that was bumped, that a major city publication would have printed the story.

It was a large article on the front page of the "Maryland" section of the paper.

There is also some hidden messages in the article. Carnival will not have any sailings out of Baltimore in 2005, although all of their cruises have been sold out. Rumor where I work is that Carnival is upset with Baltimore because of the depth of the harbor and the terminal facilites.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Although Carnival did goof with the overbooking, I was surprised to see it making headlines. There did seem to be some sort of "agenda" on the part of the newspaper. Your information seems to confirm that.

Ernie

You would hope/think/wish that before out and out bumping started to occur, that the cruise lines would offer something to the passengers to entice them to switch, like they do in the airline industry.

I for one would consider an offer if one was made.

Can anyone that was actually bumped offer their experience?

Solo, I sure hope you're correct! cyndepet and I will be 2 very unhappy campers! My cruise is paid for, but final payment for the rest of the AAAers is tomorrow. I don't even have a booking number until the rest of them pay up (I have no idea how many people - my TA doesn't return my calls or emails - she'll get a "glowing" report from me after the cruise!)

GLW - you would think Carnival would be ecstatic because every cruise from Baltimore was a total sell out. I've read that the embarkation is a breeze. Wonder what the REAL problem is? I've already booked RCI for 2005 because the Grandeur of the Seas is the only ship sailing from here that I've found on 13 websites.

Timshaun - you bet they'd better be providing transporation! As a first-timer who chose Carnival for our first cruise experience, I know I would give them all the bad public relations I possibly could. I'm sorry you were bumped. What a royal pain and inconvenience and what idiocy on Carnival's part! I sure hope the people doing the overbooking are never working in a hotel I check into!

Well...cyndepet and I will have our fingers crossed. I've been looking forward to this cruise forever. Other than being disappointed if bumping occurs, I'll be livid as well.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Timshaun - it sounds from your post that you were bumped. Can you let us know how you were notified and how you originally booked your cruise?

Still keeping my fingers crossed....

Great question..... Did they call you directly or did you get the news from your TA?? How else did they compensate you???

Cyndepet, Madelinerose and I are the only one's going on Miracle on Oct 24th!!! It is going to be a great time.... Anyone else out there on our cruise?????

I have a friend that was bumped from this cruise, part of a group, a family, there was to be a wedding onboard. The TA got the email from Carnival. No comps for them as of today. BTW My friend paid in full for her cruise last September. OF course she paid the TA and the TA may not have paid Carnival until the due date.

I hope we are still good for the September 12th cruise out of Baltimore. I have not heard anything from Carnival and they still have my reservation. I booked last year and made my final payment January to carnival. A friend of ours tried to change the name on their reservation to my dad and his wife who wanted to go but the TA said Carnival wouldn't let her do it because the Baltimore sailings are all oversold

We are scheduled (I hope) for the Sept. 5th sailing of the Miracle. So far, no news from the TA, so I guess we are still onboard. I would hope that if we were to be bumped, that they would have called by now. We live in Delaware, and it is only a 2 hr. drive to the port. We have sailed from Baltimore 2 times and did one repositioning cruise to Baltimore. It is great to have Carnival's newer ships here and I would hope they reconsider using the Port of Baltimore, or at least use Norfolk more.

[quote name='derf5585']We live in "Green Acres" [/QUOTE]

[url="http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-783/"]http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-783/[/url]

:D

We (my parents, my husband, kids and I) were not bumped. My two aunts, who were booked on the Miracle with us, but by another TA were bumped and since the purpose of the trip was for the family to have a trip together we voluntarily bumped ourselves to be with them.

"Cyndepet, Madelinerose and I are the only one's going on Miracle on Oct 24th!!! It is going to be a great time.... Anyone else out there on our cruise?????"

You forgot us!? GOTTA CRUISE NOW is on your sailing!
We're still showing up on the Carnival website. We chose our room instead of doing the GUAR. Think that makes a diff? We booked really late. April of this year!

Actually received an email reply from my TA :) who said "our group dept coordinator called Carnival regarding the Baltimore Sun article and was assured that "our group will not be touched".

Should I take this with a grain of salt? At least I have something in writing.

We're celebrating our 5th anniversary (even though it's in November) on this cruise and I want everything to go as smoothly as possible.

Timshaun, still sorry about the cancellation. Enjoy, though.

cyndepet, slhornberger & GOTTA CRUISE NOW - see ya on the roll call.

Have a great weekend.

good news for me! I called carnival to check on my reservation for the September 12th sailing and the agent Sabrina said I was fine. they did not bump individual sailings, the article was a little bit misleading, she said they had too many group cruises booked

Archived