Room service tip question

I've read to tip $2-3 to room service person, but then I've also read there is a 15% service charge added to the room service order. Are these both accurate information if you want to do the "right" thing? :) Can there be an occassion where the room service person must leave the food at the door and you don't answer like if you're in the bathroom - then they don't get their tip?

We usually tip $2-$3 per delivery. We usually don't order much, if we were ordering a full dinner maybe $5. The only thing that the 15% will be added to would be something with a charge like soda. I think that if I were waiting for room service, I would make sure to answer the door. I guess they might leave it, but is that really something you would want them to do? Who knows who might touch it or even take it. Just be available. Have a nice cruise.

The only time 15% is added to the order is when you order a drink or wine or soft drinks. The room service food is included in the price of the cruise.

It is nice to tip a buck or two to the server. However, sometimes, I didn't have the cash to do it (or small enough bills). The server has never given me any attitude or anything like that. Sometimes, the server hands me the food (with a smile) and takes off before I even get a chance to tip.

D

$2 or $3 is acceptable for two ...more if you have more in the room. The 15% is added atuomatically to pay for extras like alcoholic drinks, sodas speciality coffees.

I used room service on AOS last Sept., and intend to do so next month on Explorer. It is a treat, and the few extra dollars is worth it for me, and appreciated by the staff.

Oh it's absolutely worth it for the $2-5 tip!!! I don't disagree at all.

Okay, my confusion was on the 15% - and now I understand it's for the drink portion probably because a bar person is serving that up at another location than the kitchen. Poor kitchen people don't see the tips!

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated! :D

The only time 15% is added to the order is when you order a drink or wine or soft drinks. The room service food is included in the price of the cruise.

It is nice to tip a buck or two to the server. However, sometimes, I didn't have the cash to do it (or small enough bills). The server has never given me any attitude or anything like that. Sometimes, the server hands me the food (with a smile) and takes off before I even get a chance to tip.

D

LOL - that is what happened to us, the server left before I could get a tip together

Cheers

Jason

I am sorry but I would never order room service if I didn't have the money ready for a tip. Those people work hard and deserve a tip. We bring a bunch of $1 bills with us for room service. We know that we will order coffee in the morning, so have the $2 ready before we go to bed.

Sorry for jumping on some of you, but if you want the service, you should be prepared. JMO. I know you will flame me, so go ahead.

Katie

I am sorry but I would never order room service if I didn't have the money ready for a tip. Those people work hard and deserve a tip. We bring a bunch of $1 bills with us for room service. We know that we will order coffee in the morning, so have the $2 ready before we go to bed.

Sorry for jumping on some of you, but if you want the service, you should be prepared. JMO. I know you will flame me, so go ahead.

Katie

I expected it to come down same way as in a land hotel - the server comes in sets it all up, you have a couple of monents to get the tip money, they wait for the tip and then your deal is done.

In this case to be more specific, the server came in, placed the tray down and basically rushed out leaving DW and I to both say, she did not wait for the tip.

So consider yourself flamed for assuming the circumstances :D

Regards

Jason

Ok, I consider myself flamed. But---what happened between the time you ordered and the person got there? Or, wow, maybe that wasn't a good question to ask, lol. Enjoy.

Katie

Hardy har har - round one board jousting to you, my fair lady! ;)

Cheers

Jason

Katie

I, too, bring a lot of singles and have the tip ready for the server.

Is $1 acceptable if there's just me? On my first cruise last Nov., all I ordered from room service was coffee in the afternoon as a "pick-me-up", and I tipped $1. Was I being too cheap? And how about if I order a full meal?

In my mind but not written, I was thinking a bottle of wine, and if available cheese and fruit listed as appetizer or dessert tray. In this scenario, we're talking the 15% on the wine and a tip overall.

Cb at sea you've certainly succeeded at making me feel like a real idiot with my post. I'll try to think things through better should I post again. :rolleyes: I really should have given a more specific scenario to clarify. My bad.

As a courtesy and for your convenience, they will call you before they arrive at your door. We received our call and the server was there less than 2 minutes later. This is so they don't have to leave it outside, so that you can throw a robe on, and also, I suppose, so they can receive any gratuities offered. :)

I always have a bunch of singles and I keep them by the vanity so I can grab a few and give them to the waiter. It is a fact they do run in and run right out so you have to have that tip ready because they will not wait. :) It is NOT like a hotel where they set tray down and take time to fix things and ask you if everything is there. These guys are flying! :D

I expected it to come down same way as in a land hotel - the server comes in sets it all up, you have a couple of monents to get the tip money, they wait for the tip and then your deal is done.

In this case to be more specific, the server came in, placed the tray down and basically rushed out leaving DW and I to both say, she did not wait for the tip.

So consider yourself flamed for assuming the circumstances :D

Regards

Jason

How long should they wait for the tip? Are you for real? I doubt the server was out of there like the tazmanian devil. They put the tray down, you say thank you and hand them the tip. Whats so hard about that? Do you think they should beg? Do you offer them a drink while they sit and wait for the tip? I can see it now.... "So how you dooooin?"

Never had anyone call before delivering; they just showed up around the time I marked on the breakfast order form.

I agree, the tip is sitting on the dresser waiting for the delivery. They have lots of deliveries to make so they can't wait around.

Archived