Jewelry in Ports

Iceteaqueen

I will be traveling to Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios in May and was wondering what Jewelry is a must have. I traveled to Nassau, St.Thomas & St, Marteen and there was jewelry there that the onboard Shoppers told us to buy but was wondering...

Where to go?

What to get in these ports?

What Stone is famous there?

I hope someone can help me out before the cruise.

Honestly, I never found any of those ports all that great for jewelry. Costa Maya had a couple of stores right at the port, either Diamonds or Emeralds International. We missed this port on our last cruise so I'm not sure which one is there. Grand Cayman is expensive, but I did go to Bernard K. Passman's for some gold and black coral jewelry. Ocho Rios, I didn't even bother looking for a jewelry store.

If you want something unique in quality jewelry, then I'd go to Passman's in Grand Cayman. Just be prepared for the prices.

I will be traveling to Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios in May and was wondering what Jewelry is a must have. I traveled to Nassau, St.Thomas & St, Marteen and there was jewelry there that the onboard Shoppers told us to buy but was wondering...

Where to go?

CD will push Diamonds In'tl..dont for get to get the free bracelet..all ports prob. Tanzanite Intl, CM, lots of 925 silver..start at 1/3 the listed/told price, pay less than half..or what ever your willing

plus allll kinds of new named stones that i wont buy

silver is quite a bargin

I have been on several cruises and have stopped at all of these stops. Have never found anything that was really different than what can be found in the states. Might be a little cheaper, but from experience, not by much. If you buy it in the states and something happens, it is much easier to get fixed.

I got a super deal on a pair of tanzanite and inlaid earrings in Costa Maya. Can't remember the name of the store, but it's not too far from where you catch the taxis to Majahual. I think it was near the sunglasses place. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on the "recommended" list, but I don't pay much attention to that anyhow. I was in the travel biz way too long...I know how it works...;)

If you're looking for sterling silver, unique pieces at a great price I found a shop in Grand Cayman that was recommended by someone I met who is from Grand Cayman. The prices were unbeatable compared to places like the Silver Emporium in Cozumel. I love my necklace I got in Grand Cayman at Silver Splash. It's not a store recommended shop, but it is real silver.

Can't speak to Costa Maya, but have been to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios. Did look at the jewelry and took a pass. Way too expensive. I did go to Passmans as well, and they were very high priced. I am going to St Martin later this year and plan on buying some jewelry, and many CC members say to stay away from International anything . I bought a tanzanite piece in Diamonds International in Cozumel a few years ago, and would agree. If you read through other posts, others have warned that the ship sponsored jewelry shops and guarantees, are not always what they are cracked up to be. The best advice is to know what you are looking for . research quality, prices in the US and be informed before buying.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you ever go to St. Thomas, let me know...I have found a great jeweler and the prices can't be beat...4 years ago I bought a diamond tennis bracelet..hemmed and hawwed about it..but knew it was a really good price...I just had to have it re-appraised and it came back 5 times what I paid for it..same with a multi sapphire and diamond tennis bracelet..almost 5 times what was paid...good deals can be found IF you do your research ahead of time...personally I haven't found any great shakes bargains on western trips...good luck..

Found a very interesting watch there 4 years ago made from a US half dollar and it was 50% off. Except they doubled the US price and then gave the discount so we paid full price. Be very careful there as they can't be trusted. Passman has really beautiful and original designs but they are very pricy. I never set foot into any store the cruise shopper recommends since they are the same in every port and pay the company for the plug. That incl. DI, EI, TI, and those ugly t shirts that change color.

I actually found a great deal on Movado watches in Ocho..but that was back in 1999. I"m not sure of the name of the place off the top of my head; but if you head out past the gates and make a left it's the first shopping center of the right.. I have a receipt if you would like the name of the place. I did save a decent amout of money on it.

Found a very interesting watch there 4 years ago made from a US half dollar and it was 50% off. Except they doubled the US price and then gave the discount so we paid full price. Be very careful there as they can't be trusted. Passman has really beautiful and original designs but they are very pricy. I never set foot into any store the cruise shopper recommends since they are the same in every port and pay the company for the plug. That incl. DI, EI, TI, and those ugly t shirts that change color.

Regarding Jamaica and Ocho Rios, I know this will sound crazy but I actually found a jewelry shop that carried a very interesting item....18Kwg/pink porcelain/& pink tourmaline (I think it is, or pink sapphire)- even my jeweler here in the states was impressed with the ring. I get compliments on it daily, it is very unusual and elegant. So, as far as I can remember offhand it was in a court with jewelry stores and a couple of typical tourist boutiques with trinkets-across from the store that is supposed to have Tiffany discounted but they really dont. I will try to find the name...

If you ever go to St. Thomas, let me know...I have found a great jeweler and the prices can't be beat...4 years ago I bought a diamond tennis bracelet..hemmed and hawwed about it..but knew it was a really good price...I just had to have it re-appraised and it came back 5 times what I paid for it..same with a multi sapphire and diamond tennis bracelet..almost 5 times what was paid...good deals can be found IF you do your research ahead of time...personally I haven't found any great shakes bargains on western trips...good luck..

EmmyW14-

Wow! Sounds great! Would you mind passing along the jeweler info in St. Thomas?? I have been searching and searching for a recommendation!!! Id really appreciate it.

You can email me cruisedivanj@yahoo.com

I don't know what kind of jewelry you are looking for but the Caribbean has a stone called Larimar. It looks a little like turquoise. I have become an addict. It's not terribly expensive and is mostly set in sterling silver although I have seen it in gold as well. Over the years it has gotten more and more expensive.

I've bought several Passman pieces over the years in Grand Cayman.....other than that we buy from the smaller local jewellers in the E Carib..for their uniqueness..more than anything. If you've seen one Diamond's Int'l you've seen them all!

I don't know what kind of jewelry you are looking for but the Caribbean has a stone called Larimar. It looks a little like turquoise. I have become an addict. It's not terribly expensive and is mostly set in sterling silver although I have seen it in gold as well. Over the years it has gotten more and more expensive.

I am looking to buy some of that in St Thomas. I would like it in either yellow gold or silver and yellow gold. Did you buy any of yours there ?

Thanks!

I have bought Larimar in St. Thomas. All of my pieces are silver, but I have a bracelet mixed with silver and yellow gold. The Larimar is all over the Caribbean, as well as on the ships. Each year the prices seem to go up. I actually saw some Larimar here in New York and it was very expensive. I was told by my brother in law who does jewelry making as a hobby to try and snatch up as much as I can because he fears the prices will skyrocket, kind of like what happened with tanzanite (although not nearly as valuable).

EmmyW14, I too would like that info....Thanx in advance. rokki1cruise@yahoo.com

Where to go?

The main thing is to make sure you know what you are buying, go to a good Jewelry store where you live and pick their brains or look it up online because I was reading a thread in the Cozumel forum on here that in Cozumel they were selling fake Tanzanite. So becareful, know what you buy.

Last week on the Spirit they were raffling off a piece of Emerald, this free raffled Emerald was probably worth 50 cents as I got a few pieces from India like the one they had for raffle. Not worth the time, so I went to the show.

Fred

Archived