Passport Photo

newtothis2006

II recommend having the professionals take care of it and just pay a few bucks. That way you know it is done right.

I'm just not necessarily convinced that the average person doing it at a CVS or Kinkos or something really has more experience in taking photos than I do.

Many of the newer digital cameras have some preset options. Mine has an ID option. When that option is chosen, in the display window is the shape of a head. You just make sure the person is standing against something white and their head fits within the head on the display and snap. The print out is of 2 of the identical pictures side by side. I like this option because I was able to take about 10 pictures before I got one I like. I don't mind showing my passport photo now. It was easy and I had no problem with them being accepted.

I just went through this when I got visa pictures.

Walgreens was charing $7.95, Kinkos $15.00 and the Passport Office at the Main Post Office was $15.00.

On a side note, I heard about several people having their pictures rejected when they went down to the Passport Office. I called the local Passport Office and asked "what store takes the best passport photo (as far as to specs)" and they responded with a specific Walgreens store in my area.

Many of the newer digital cameras have some preset options. Mine has an ID option. When that option is chosen, in the display window is the shape of a head. You just make sure the person is standing against something white and their head fits within the head on the display and snap. .

That is pretty cool. I just got a new camera - I should look to see if I have that feature.

Once you get the photo right (based on the good advice given above), just store the jpeg file. If you ever need a photo for a visa, you can simply print and submit 2 copies of it. We always carry 2 extra photos each in case we have to replace our passport during a trip.

LOVE the idea about editing out the wrinkles! But what I really need to do is add wrinkles and grey hair to my 9 year old passport photo. However, I have to renew at the end of this year, and I guess that issue will resolve itself then.:(

Eegads, no wonder there's so much problem with illegals.

In Canada, the passport photos must be taken by a commercial photographer.

I honestly don't think that's really relevant. I don't know of a large problem in the US with illegals getting passports. After all, you do still have to submit documentation showing citizenship. (And just because someone's a commercial photographer doesn't mean they can't be paid to look the other way).

Archived