"DUTCH NIGHT" menu so bad...

Leslieswiger

Read the dining room menu which will be posted. If you don't care for it; go get a burger or taco late in the afternoon. The burger bar is open until 5 P.M. Pizza is available until 5 P.M. also. Then you can skip dinner and if you are hungry, go to the late night buffet in Lido at 11:30. I have never heard of anyone going hungry on an HAL ship and I sincerely doubt you will either.

The club sandwich on the room service menu is delicious.

Better than that, go up to the Lido for a casual dinner! The night they were BBQing in Alaska, there was also a casual dinner offered in the Lido. The Casual dinner offered steak, chicken and then some of the entrees from the dining room.:cool:

We have never, in all our cruises, had dinner in Lido so I wasn't sure if they serve casual dinner there on the night they run the barbeque. I thought the barbeque might the only other choice aside from Pinnacle. If Lido is open, then absolutely no problem at all.

Like I previously commented, I have never heard of anyone going hungry on an HAL ship. :)

I agree 100%. Being served a wonderful meal in a beautiful setting is one of the reasons we enjoy cruising. I wait in enough lines already at home.

I am not a fan of waiting in lines - I prefer sitting in the main dining room (hence my posts about not being shunned to the Lido in the dress code debates) - but there truly was a minimal line for the barbecue and plenty of seating.

Better than that, go up to the Lido for a casual dinner! The night they were BBQing in Alaska, there was also a casual dinner offered in the Lido. The Casual dinner offered steak, chicken and then some of the entrees from the dining room.:cool:

It sounds like things have changed. On the night I attended the BBQ there was a sign up in the Lido saying the buffet was for officers only and not open to pax.

:)

On nearly every cruise I can think of, the Lido was never open on BBQ nights. It was set up for only the officers.

Also, on the Alaskan cruises that we have been on, we never had a BBQ. Instead there was a salmon bake held at lunch time - and the main dining room wasn't open that day. The same thing with our Canada/New England cruise - no BBQ - just a lunch time salmon bake.

:)

We had the salmon bake at lunchtime on our Canada/New England cruise. The salmon was delicious and we really enjoyed it.

We are not very careful about reading the daily program as we are more "do it ourselves types" and we usually just scan it to see if something catches our eye. We did not notice they had the salmon bake scheduled and it was just a coincidence we happened to walk through Lido Pool and see/smell it. I would have been disappointed if we missed it and heard about it later.

If they do not tweak the Dutch Night Menu and give it a little more interest than it currently has after all the deletions, we shall be absent from the dining room in the future on Dutch Night.

I agree w/ S7S - nothing was more annoying than standing in line to get a questionable steak and side dishes that are no better than the salads you might find at the safeway deli counter - then having to scope out a table in the overcrowded Lido. Nothing in the daily program about it being Dutch night either - it was the BBQ that was advertised. Maybe this is how HAL is attempting to appeal to younger cruisers? Blech...

The deck barbeques are not new. They have been offering them for some time now. Maybe they are trying to get more of us to come to them? I don't know if that is their reason for destroying the Dutch Night Menu. Perhaps If it is true that there are fewer dining stewards, they need to have more in one place.....the barbeque. They are hoping to empty out the dining room as much as possible so they can send the stewards to Lido to assist with the barbeque?? I don't know if that is the case but think it may be a factor.

You can pre-book for any night but they can and sometimes do change around the order of different menus.

On a seven day cruise, by process of elimination, you can eliminate four nights. That leaves three nights that could be "the night". :)

We know it won't be the first or last night and we know it will not be either of the formal nights. That leaves two casual and one informal. It has to be on casual night if it is the night of the barbeque....so we are down to two nights. The moment you board, look at your daily program. It will give dress for the week.

Dutch Night (Barbeque Night) will be a night the ship is late in port if there is such a night on your cruise. It will be a casual night......go to Pinnacle or (Neptune Lounge if applicable) and make your reservation. ;)

On a ten day or longer cruise.....the only way is to ask and hope that you are given the correct answer.

It sounds like things have changed. On the night I attended the BBQ there was a sign up in the Lido saying the buffet was for officers only and not open to pax.

Hmmmm.... The officers won't eat the dutch night offerings or the barbecue? Pinnacle Grill here we come!

:) Unless Officers are joining passengers at a table in the dining room, most do not come to the dining room. Sometimes if their wife/husband/family is aboard (depending upon their rank) they may dine with their family.

Dutch night is why the on deck barbecue was created !!!!

Please - do yourself a favor and enjoy the on deck barbecue - nothing could be better that grilled steak, ribs, fish all freshly grilled over hot coals in front of you.

the steak was absolutely delicious -

and if old MATT is out there wondering about getting more than one steak in the Pinnacle Grill, while I can't answer that, I will say that MATT, you can get as many steaks as you want at the on deck barbecue.

Hey I'm not that old:) Unlimitied BBQ YUM YUM:)

:) Unless Officers are joining passengers at a table in the dining room, most do not come to the dining room. Sometimes if their wife/husband/family is aboard (depending upon their rank) they may dine with their family.

The most enjoyable dinners on the RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas were the two nights that the ships engineer joined us for dinner. Besides being a very pleasant person to talk with and find out about the inner workings and problems with the ship (it was the inaugural season with the usual and some unusual problems), he bought all of the drinks for the table. There were always some officers in the dining room for late seating. I guess it varies by line though.

Hey I'm not that old:) Unlimitied BBQ YUM YUM:)

Sorry Matt ;) But yes, unlimited BBQ. And the steaks were really quite good - I had 3 of them !!! Be sure to tell them if you like it done a special way (ie rare or medium well) and they will accomodate you. Go and enjoy

Archived