Booking a Back to Back

pattie63

Hi - I am considering booking two 7 day cruises back-to-back on the the Crown Princess next April. The cruise is also offered as a 14 day but I would like to book separately as this would give us our 5th Princess cruise and bump up our Captains Circle status for our next cruise (I know that Princess also credit total sea days but we'd fall short of the 50 days required).

I've found on large online TA/Travel company that is several hundred dollars less than Princess and other online TAs. My question is - how do you go about ensure that you remain in your selected cabin throughout the cruise? If you get bumped, do they make you pack up and move yourself on the 7th day?

What are your experiences with back-to-back cruises? Will I be giving myself a huge headache if I book these two cruises separately through and online TA? Should I just book as a 14 day?

Thanks.

There is no guarantee you will get the same cabin if you book separately. If you have to move, your cabin steward will help. They'll bring hotel luggage racks and just move you over. We were with people on a B2B that had to switch and they said it was really pretty easy. They couldn't access their new cabin for a while so they hung out with us in our cabin for a few hours.

Personally, I'd book whichever way is cheaper (2 x 7 or the 14-day) and not get too worried about the CC credits.

we have booked and taken some back-to-backs...just have your TA book you in cabins that are available on both the cruises....they are able to see those that are still open (it sure is nice not have to pack up and move)

For our recent B2B we booked and confirmed that our cabins were the same at time of booking. Make sure your TA confirms with Princess that you don't want a cabin upgrade! An upgrade for one of the two weeks would require that you change cabins.

We booked the two cruises as separate booking and had no problems at all.

If you are a Costco member, you might want to check Costco Travel. We have used them for a number of cruises and have found their pricing very competitive and their customer service superb.

Lew

It has been a while since we cruised on Princess. We did several back-to-backs and our TA made certain that we stayed in the same cabin.

We always make certain that we get too different booking numbers so that we can various shipboard credits on each cruise as some cann't be combined.

Should you not get the same cabin, your cabin steward will be happy to help you move some of your things.

We have found B2B's much more enjoyable if we book the same cabin for both legs of the sailing. No problem doing this, just find a cabin that is available on each sailing. Yes, they will help you transfer your things to the new cabin if you move to another for the second, but it is just so much easier to stay put. You are already used to finding your cabin after the first week, and if the second is in a different location, you will find yourself trying to return to the original. lol

Best of luck, and enjoy your cruise.

With the Captains Circle program going by number of cruises AND/OR number of nights, I don't think there's any advantage of booking your cruise as a b2b over a single voyage. You reach the next level at the same time. Also sometimes there's a significant savings by booking as a single voyage. On our upcoming Nov/Dec cruise which we could have booked as a b2b, we saved about $800 by booking as a single voyage.

With the Captains Circle program going by number of cruises AND/OR number of nights, I don't think there's any advantage of booking your cruise as a b2b over a single voyage. You reach the next level at the same time. Also sometimes there's a significant savings by booking as a single voyage. On our upcoming Nov/Dec cruise which we could have booked as a b2b, we saved about $800 by booking as a single voyage.

The price of the back to back is almost identical to booking as a 14 day (wish it weren't!). If I can't get the same stateroom for the back to back, I'll book as a 14 day for sure as we are travelling with our two sons, ages 12 and 10 and moving would just be too distruptive.

Perhaps I am not understanding the CC credits. Right now, we have 2 cruises or 17 days. If we back as a single cruise we have 3 cruises or 31 days. If we book as back to back we have 4 cruises or 31 days. It would seem like we are closer to our 5 cruise/50 day if we book separately. What am I missing.

THANKS

The 'day count' on Princess actually only effects those that take 10+ day cruises. If you usually book 7 day sailings, then it is the number of cruises you take which will build up your status faster in the Captain's Circle. The day count mainly covers those that book the longer sailings so they are no longer penalized for taking less cruises, but for more days.

The price of the back to back is almost identical to booking as a 14 day (wish it weren't!). If I can't get the same stateroom for the back to back, I'll book as a 14 day for sure as we are travelling with our two sons, ages 12 and 10 and moving would just be too distruptive.

Perhaps I am not understanding the CC credits. Right now, we have 2 cruises or 17 days. If we back as a single cruise we have 3 cruises or 31 days. If we book as back to back we have 4 cruises or 31 days. It would seem like we are closer to our 5 cruise/50 day if we book separately. What am I missing.

THANKS

I booked the same Crown cruise for February as a single cruise. The Princess rep assures me I'll be credited for two cruises. I did get a price break over booking it as a B2B.

For our recent B2B we booked and confirmed that our cabins were the same at time of booking. Make sure your TA confirms with Princess that you don't want a cabin upgrade! An upgrade for one of the two weeks would require that you change cabins.

We booked the two cruises as separate booking and had no problems at all.

If you are a Costco member, you might want to check Costco Travel. We have used them for a number of cruises and have found their pricing very competitive and their customer service superb.

Lew

This Costco travel thing, can it be done on line?

Hi There,

It is possible to boook at 14 day cruise and get only one credit as you have been on only one cruise, it is also possible to book a 14 day cruise and find that you are given a new cruise card on day seven and be given two credits, it is all down to how Princess numbers the cruises, at one time UK folk were being sold a single cruise of 14 days while US folk were being sold two 7 day cruises for the same cruise it was all down to charter flights etc.

One thing I like about doing b2b is with the saving I make I get my second cabin upgraded to a mini suite etc, for me it makes the cruise appear longer.

Next b2b is on Emerald for three and a half weeks.

yours Shogun

Just make sure your TA cross references your two cruises. They will try to make sure you have the same cabin (saves them having to move you ;) ). We have booked B2B with family and had our two cruises cross referenced to my brother and his wife's two cruises. Easy to do.......(for a TA)

Good sailing.....:D

I booked the same Crown cruise for February as a single cruise. The Princess rep assures me I'll be credited for two cruises. I did get a price break over booking it as a B2B.

If this is important to you I'd double check. We had the choice of booking one 32 day or a 20 day and a 12 day while onboard. By booking the 32 day we'd save money but since it is counted as one cruise we'd only get the $150 obc and not $250 which we'd get by booking a 12 day ($100) and a 20 day ($150).

If this is important to you I'd double check. We had the choice of booking one 32 day or a 20 day and a 12 day while onboard. By booking the 32 day we'd save money but since it is counted as one cruise we'd only get the $150 obc and not $250 which we'd get by booking a 12 day ($100) and a 20 day ($150).

Double check with whom? You and I both know that if I ask a different rep I'll get a different answer!:p

I prefer to remain in ignorant bliss and will wait till post-cruise to find out.:o

In all seriosity, I used an FCC to book. If I had booked it as a B2B and used two FCCs , I would have gotten a double OBC, but the lower fare made up the difference and I still have the other FCC in my pocket.

This Costco travel thing, can it be done on line?

You have to call them, which is a minor annoyance. But it might be well worth it, since I've always found them to be very good and I always got the best price from them. The phone number is in the cruise section of their website.

Double check with whom? You and I both know that if I ask a different rep I'll get a different answer!:p

I prefer to remain in ignorant bliss and will wait till post-cruise to find out.:o

In all seriosity, I used an FCC to book. If I had booked it as a B2B and used two FCCs , I would have gotten a double OBC, but the lower fare made up the difference and I still have the other FCC in my pocket.

Can't disagree with any of that- in my book it is the bottom dollar that counts!

I believe the OP wanted to know if the 14 day booking counts as one or two cruises for Captain's Circle status.

You have to call them, which is a minor annoyance. But it might be well worth it, since I've always found them to be very good and I always got the best price from them. The phone number is in the cruise section of their website.

Thank you. Now I have an extra source of information to decide which TA or Service to use before purchasing my next cruise.

Archived