Customer Relations on a Complaint

santaharry

During a recent shore excursion with Princess we were involved in an accident and sustained some injuries. Fortunatly no one was seriously hurt however this ruined our and others cruise. Police reports, and medical attention reports were filed.

Has anyone dealt with Princess on this type of issue? When contacted they only gave me an address to submit to.

Any help would be appreciated.

During a recent shore excursion with Princess we were involved in an accident and sustained some injuries. Fortunatly no one was seriously hurt however this ruined our and others cruise. Police reports, and medical attention reports were filed.

Has anyone dealt with Princess on this type of issue? When contacted they only gave me an address to submit to.

Any help would be appreciated.

OMG!!! We were also in a very bad accident while on a Princess shore excursion. All they did was have the Security Officer get a statement from us

and they also had us talk with the Shore Tours Mgr. - that's it. We were re-assured that they would investigate the tour personally. They reversed the charges for the tour, but not for the doctor, which cost us $230.

At the urging of a friend, I wrote out a four page letter, included pictures and faxed it to Princess about 3 weeks ago. I have YET to hear back from them. We specifically stated we didn't want compensation - we want to make sure NO ONE ever goes through what we did with that very, very unsafe tour!!!!

What is the status of your accident?

I think that you need to be responsible for youself--the same as at home--3 weeks ago I thought that I broke my thumb on the Crown--I self-medicated--this Monday I had it x-rayed--sure enough--from above the knucle up its in a lot of little pieces--I did manage to get rid of the infection--knew I had a tetnus shot within the proprt time.

By the way--this was my own stupidity--I don't really think I deserve the broken thumb--but wrong place--wrong time!!!!

Nancy:D

You did get a decent response on board, and to be honest, I would expect the ship's staff to communicate anything further with the head office. It is even possible that this operator has been reviewed and changes implemented - just that you don't know it. Probably what happened is someone from the ship went on the next tour to do their own inspection, and make recommendations. I wonder if it's incidents like yours that occasionally result in some tours suddenly becoming Unavailable for future cruises.

What I'm really trying to say is that if Princess works anything like our organization, the matter will be handled internally from this point on.

Hope you're feeling better.

I am curious what the cruise line's liability is on shore excursions.

We were on a shore excursion in Canada where someone tripped and suffered a few cuts. Nothing serious but something that should be looked at when she returned to the ship. She was immediately "forced" to sign a form saying the shore excursion was not liable. She had cruise insurance and that covered her checkup once back on the ship.

On private excursions - I have often had to sign a waiver indicating if I am hurt, they are not responsible. I don't know what the wording is on Princess excursions - it could very well be the same. It wouldn't surprise me if they provide no liability as they are contracting it out to another company.

BTW - it takes 6 weeks to get any response back from Princess. They do respond to every letter, it just takes awhile.

This is a good topic because I don't think many people read or look at who's liable in the case of an accident or injury while on a shore excursion. I suspect that like so many other things, "it depends."

A couple of years ago, we were on a cruise and were spending a nice day in Cozumel with lunch at Pancho's Back Yard, a restaurant we've been to before and enjoyed. The tables are arranged on "terraces" leading down to a small stage where they have entertainment with a couple of steps down to each terrace. We were seated on the lowest terrace and were waiting for our food. I looked up and saw a lady with a camera up to her face at the top trying to focus and get a good photo of the entertainers. She stepped forward -- into thin air because of the steps -- and did a horrendous face plant on the Mexican tile floor. Within seconds, her forehead had swollen up terribly and gone purple. One of the people with us is an EMT and he immediately ran up and had the waiters get ice and wouldn't let them move her (which they wanted to do.) She was on a HAL tour and they had been dropped off to do some shopping. The person with her ran down the street to get her husband and the tour operator. About 20 minutes later, she was steady enough to be helped out of the restaurant. I don't know what happened after that but she was obviously injured.

Another thought related to this is that many people opt out or don't purchase insurance. Accidents happen -- you can easily trip on uneven ground. It doesn't matter how old you are or how healthy you and everyone in your family is. This is another good reason for getting cruise insurance.

It would be interesting to learn the circumstances of the accidents or injuries mentioned above.

Accidents do happen and when they are the fault of the passenger, then of course, nothing is expected of Princess.

In our particular case, it was not our fault. The vehicles we were given to drive were completely unsafe and that caused the accident. And, BTW, Coral we were only going 5-10 miles per hour as we slid off the bridge. About 80% of the Jeeps did not have working seat belts, had the wrong type of tires, had mis-matched passenger tires, (some were bald), my seat did not stay in place, so that every time we came to a stop, my seat slide forward and when we took off from a stop, it slide back. When we got in the Jeep to begin with, 3 warning lights came on and stayed on throughout the trip (the "Check Engine" light, the "Oil Pressure" light and one other one I've forgotten but I'm sure DH remembers).

It was a nightmare experience and we're still having a hard time dealing with what happened. My husband was shaking as he went over a bridge last week and so far, there's not a day that goes by that the accident doesn't reply in our minds. Time will heal though.

Thanks for the info. Coral on how long it normally takes Princess to respond. And, as of a week ago, they were still offering the tour despite the fact that other people on the tour complained about the unsafe vehicles too.

I'm sorry about your accident and pain. However, why would you get into an "unsafe" vehicle, especially one with no seatbelts and moving seats. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I know that in some places vehicles are not in great shape, so why risk it? I know that hindsight is 20/20 but it's a good warning to other people.

i actually had an injury last year on my cruise during a princess related activity on the ship. I did go to the med center and get my injury checked out, but later on land had a doctor tell me I had a more extensive injury than initially thought and had surgery to correct it last week.

I have since written a letter to princess to let them know how dangerous this activity was (another passenger was injured as well). I emailed them and received a response back that my letter was being looked at and it takes 6-8 weeks for a response. Hope you hear back soon and everyone is okay!

I was hit by a flying can at the sail away on the Grand a few years ago. It was thrown by a Princess employee. It was no fault of my own. It cut the outside of my thumb. They had the doctor check it out at their expense and checked back on me throughout the trip. I was fine. They did do an accident report as well.

I think I also received a bottle of wine as well.

In our particular case, it was not our fault. The vehicles we were given to drive were completely unsafe and that caused the accident. And, BTW, Coral we were only going 5-10 miles per hour as we slid off the bridge. About 80% of the Jeeps did not have working seat belts, had the wrong type of tires, had mis-matched passenger tires, (some were bald), my seat did not stay in place, so that every time we came to a stop, my seat slide forward and when we took off from a stop, it slide back. When we got in the Jeep to begin with, 3 warning lights came on and stayed on throughout the trip (the "Check Engine" light, the "Oil Pressure" light and one other one I've forgotten but I'm sure DH remembers).

I think there is a tendency for people on cruise ships to hold the operator to a higher level than other companies. You were obviously able to see by your description the potential danger there and still you still went along, so you have to be responsible for that decision. You could have refused and returned to the ship and been refunded, made a complaint which would have been looked at by the cruise line.

I think the cruise line has some responsibility here, in ensuring the excursions they promote are safe and that doesn't appear to be the case if your description is accurate. However the decision in this instance seems to have been yours in getting in that vehicle and therefore the responsibility in my opinion lies with you.

In a lighter note, I saw on ABC this morning a story about a man whose favourite trousers where lost by his dry cleaners so he is suing them for...wait for it... $67 million! That must have been one great pair of trousers!

I think there is a tendency for people on cruise ships to hold the operator to a higher level than other companies. You were obviously able to see by your description the potential danger there and still you still went along, so you have to be responsible for that decision. You could have refused and returned to the ship and been refunded, made a complaint which would have been looked at by the cruise line.

I think the cruise line has some responsibility here, in ensuring the excursions they promote are safe and that doesn't appear to be the case if your description is accurate. However the decision in this instance seems to have been yours in getting in that vehicle and therefore the responsibility in my opinion lies with you.

In a lighter note, I saw on ABC this morning a story about a man whose favourite trousers where lost by his dry cleaners so he is suing them for...wait for it... $67 million! That must have been one great pair of trousers!

We do not seek compensation & even explicity stated that in the letter to Princess. We just don't want anyone else to ever go through what we did.

Dot73- We got in the Jeep because the tour operator came over to our vehicle when we addressed these concerns and said, "Oh amigo, don't worry about those lights. They come on and will stay on all the time, but everything is okay." He again reassured us when my seat wouldn't lock in place that everything would be fine. We trusted that Princess had checked out the vehicles and the tour and deemed it safe. Live & learn I guess.

i actually had an injury last year on my cruise during a princess related activity on the ship...I have since written a letter to princess to let them know how dangerous this activity was (another passenger was injured as well).

It might be helpful to other passengers to know what shipboard "activity" you're referring to :confused: . Perhaps others can avoid the activity altogether or at least be forewarned that there are potential risks involved if one participates.

Chris

The liability--or rather lack thereof--for shore excursions is covered in this part of the Passage Contract (item 16 for those who want to look it up on the Princess website)

"Pre and post cruise tours, shore excursions and any/all connecting ground, vessel or air transportation and other tours may be owned and/or operated by independent contractors and Carrier makes no representations and assumes no responsibility therefor. If You use the ship’s athletic or recreational equipment or take part in organized activities, whether on the ship or as part of a shore excursion, You assume the risk of injury, death, illness or other loss and Carrier is not liable or responsible for it. Carrier in no event is liable to You in respect of any occurrence taking place other than on the ship or launches owned or operated by Carrier."

Bobbie--So sorry to hear you and your family were in an accident; I hope both you and OP are able to resolve your claims to your satisfaction, but from the above it would seem that the better recourse might be directly with the tour operator, rather than the cruiseline?

OT-This indemnification paragraph has new wording, at least since my March cruise; they now specifically mention a lot more things they are not responsible for (notably mental anguish types of claims) as well as the maximum liability for death or injury per the Athens agreement (~$60,000) when it applies.

We do not seek compensation & even explicity stated that in the letter to Princess. We just don't want anyone else to ever go through what we did.

Dot73- We got in the Jeep because the tour operator came over to our vehicle when we addressed these concerns and said, "Oh amigo, don't worry about those lights. They come on and will stay on all the time, but everything is okay." He again reassured us when my seat wouldn't lock in place that everything would be fine. We trusted that Princess had checked out the vehicles and the tour and deemed it safe. Live & learn I guess.

Customer feedback is taken VERY seriously, I don't think people know how seriously it's taken. I would bet money that the problems you encountered have been rectified. I am sure you made it quite clear the problems you found and what happened and they will have acted on that.

Do US Laws count and folllowed in other Countries? Are those Nations Laws followed here (USA) too? Liability/litigation in our society is becoming a norm..

EG: OPPS i spilled my coffee on my lap ..even though I would never put anything hot between my legs otherwise.. etc... etc..

Liability really falls up ourselves for our actions.

A train Egr. walks around his/her engine each time before they go on a journey.. an airline pilot too. A Cruise Ship Captain does this as well... making sure everything is in well working order and at PAR.

Dont you check in a grocery store to see if your..Box of Corn Flakes has been opened/tampered..or Aspirin Bottle etc....

A cat always goes around the perimiter before going into a new location.

So yes the MOTTO from the Boy Scouts is a perfect fit here. ((BE {PREPARED))

Insurance is a wonderful tool, and the expense, as some call it, hopefully for all would not be need to be used.

We always buy a policy prior to leaving on any trip out of the Country.

I just got another one from here where they give you free comparison and its in depth too

We have not ever had to use any policy yet too. But you never do know as others here ran in to not such a nice time

Make sure your Policy is Primary and the firm in your State is accredited well as each state is different.

Medicare/Medicaid are not valid out of the USA and AAA is not an Insurance Company either.

Have you ever driven in Mexico? You need a separate Insurance there...

With a Primary Policy :cool: the pay YOU first ..otherwise in a secondary you have to go through your own first then them.. As well in a terchiary too..

Cruise Ship Lines have not much legal liability as you see from there terms/conditions factoring they have had many lawyers write the disclaimers.

Wouldn't you if it was your company too?

Sorry, but I whole heartedly disagree, if the tour operator told you to jump off a cliff, would you?

The drive of the vehicle is solely reponsible for it's condition and safety, when you got in and drove away, you took responsibility.

I am not an attorney and do not play one on TV. I did not even stay in a Holiday Inn express last night. With that understanding and reading other law suites, no one can exclude themselves from neglect or failure to take responsible action.

It seems to me (only in my unknowledgable opinion) that a good lawyer could make the point that the cruise line neglected to insist on reasonable guidlines to tour operators with regards to expectations of equiptment used.

It a customer purchased something from a retailer and it fails, many retail stores have had to share responsability for libality for a product that has failed. In this case the cruise line serves as a retailer for the tours. It is reasonable that before they sale that tour and even at the time of contract with the tour company that they would expect and inspect the tangalbies. It also makes good business sense to protect the clients that you have as they become repeat customers if they are taken care of.

We trusted that Princess had checked out the vehicles and the tour and deemed it safe. Live & learn I guess.

I wouldn't trust that Princess had checked out something like this. However, Princess should do something to check out the operators that they use (they promote them and keep some of the price). I would find it very frustrating to book a shore excursion through Princess, look forward to the experience, and not find out until we were on the shore excursion that the equipment was less than safe. At that point you are in the stressful position of going on the shore excursion or trying to determine an alternative (less desirable) thing to do at the last minute, knowing that if you don't go on the shore excursion you also have to see about getting a refund.

Not exactly what you want to have to deal with on a vacation--especially when it is not your fault. Princess put you in that position, and it is not a good position to be in.

Need an attorney? :-)

As for whether US law apply -- it is possible for US citizens to file civil suit against foreign companies for injuries.

As for Princess' passenger contract -- most waivers of liability are far from being able to stand up in court in all cases. Companies are really smart to publish such waivers and have people sign them, though, because it makes a vast majority of people believe that they waived their right to sue. They key would be, did Princess have any knowledge or reason to know of the negligent operation of the tour in question? Had other passengers complained before? Was Princess turning a blind eye because this tour operator cut them a good deal? Etc. Etc. If Princess was absolutely not aware of this, the tour company had represented themselves as safe, etc. when they contracted with Princess, Princess' level of liability would decrease. The tour operator is clearly liable, but threatening suit against them would likely cost you more money than you could ever recover from them.

Need an attorney? :-)

As for whether US law apply -- it is possible for US citizens to file civil suit against foreign companies for injuries.

As for Princess' passenger contract -- most waivers of liability are far from being able to stand up in court in all cases. Companies are really smart to publish such waivers and have people sign them, though, because it makes a vast majority of people believe that they waived their right to sue. They key would be, did Princess have any knowledge or reason to know of the negligent operation of the tour in question? Had other passengers complained before? Was Princess turning a blind eye because this tour operator cut them a good deal? Etc. Etc. If Princess was absolutely not aware of this, the tour company had represented themselves as safe, etc. when they contracted with Princess, Princess' level of liability would decrease. The tour operator is clearly liable, but threatening suit against them would likely cost you more money than you could ever recover from them.

Great answer!

Archived