Jeans in the dining room (non-formal nights)

8mpg

I know this is a very debated subject but Im wondering if they are going to let me in the dining room or not. Id rather not hear right or wrong or your opinion on this but more of will they allow it.

I plan on wearing a button down shirt (modern ones that are short, not made to be tucked in and no pocket) with a pair of jeans and belt. Its a nice look but not "business casual" though its what I wear to work.

Also, for my girlfriend... would a nice top and jeans cut it or will they say no, she has to be dressed in slacks? She likes to wear jeans all day so if we dont have to change again, it would be great and less clothes to pack

this is the look (only pictures I can find on the internet)

3219958371.jpg

Yes, they will allow it! You are right this is always a big debate on this board, but I have never seen anyone turned away for wearing nice jeans and a nice shirt. In fact both my DH and my sisters have wore jeans and nothing was ever said. But in both cases they were dressed nicely. Have a great cruise.

That's easy to answer:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times. Formal Evenings:

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies

• Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men

http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html

We normally dress up for dinners onboard, but last year on the Regal Princess in Alaska there was one night when we wore jeans. We had just come back on board and realized that there was just barely enough time to get to the dining room for our seating. There's no way we would have made it if we'd stopped to change. We knew there was a chance that we'd be turned away, and I was kinda surprised when we weren't.

Obviously, you're going to get a lot of strong comments to this post. I don't advocate wearing jeans every night, either. But the question you asked was, "Will they let me in?" and my experience was, "Yes, they will."

your opinion doesnt answer the question

nor can anyone else really....it can depend on the ship, the dining room staff, the cruise....I have seen people turned away on one cruise, and not on another.....

so answers you will get will be opinions and varied experiences, and no one answer will be correct

I think one of the fun things about going on a cruise is the chance to dress up and have a fancy dinner "out". Dust off the sport jackets and tell wifey to pull out that dress/skirt she bought and wore ONCE - this is the chance to bring it back to life. I don't know why this is such a stress for folks, it's like going to a fancy resort. So what, you have to carry an extra piece of luggage - great way to burn off a few extra calories gained at dinner. I realize this isn't everyone's "bag" so in closing, I will say that in the numerous cruise vacations I've been on, even the really seriously fancy ones, no one has been turned away from the dining room unless something they were wearing was seriously inappropriate. Just pack it and dress to the 9s, it'll be more fun!

nor can anyone else really....it can depend on the ship, the dining room staff, the cruise....I have seen people turned away on one cruise, and not on another.....

so answers you will get will be opinions and varied experiences, and no one answer will be correct

I understand where you are coming from but I really didnt want to hear people complain about how they feel. I even said in the post that I didnt want to hear whats right or wrong or anyones opinion on the situation, but merely can I or not.

The problem with not being able to wear jeans, is the fact I have to pack double the clothes. Now for my 7day cruise I need 4-5 pairs of jeans, 4-5 pairs of slacks, 7 button downs, 7 regular shirts (going to Alaska so they will be long sleeve, a big jacket, formal shoes, tennis shoes, dress shoes for dinner, etc... Then multiply that by 1.5-2 times for the amount of stuff my girlfriend is going to bring. Thats a lot of stuff we have to tote to the airport, then through the lines at the dock, yadda yadda yadda. If they allowed jeans, Id save a ton of space.

I think one of the fun things about going on a cruise is the chance to dress up and have a fancy dinner "out". Dust off the sport jackets and tell wifey to pull out that dress/skirt she bought and wore ONCE - this is the chance to bring it back to life. I don't know why this is such a stress for folks, it's like going to a fancy resort. So what, you have to carry an extra piece of luggage - great way to burn off a few extra calories gained at dinner. I realize this isn't everyone's "bag" so in closing, I will say that in the numerous cruise vacations I've been on, even the really seriously fancy ones, no one has been turned away from the dining room unless something they were wearing was seriously inappropriate. Just pack it and dress to the 9s, it'll be more fun!

Will a knee length dress be ok on formal night? Thats all she has and Im not going shopping for a new one before saturday. :p

I understand where you are coming from but I really didnt want to hear people complain about how they feel. I even said in the post that I didnt want to hear whats right or wrong or anyones opinion on the situation, but merely can I or not.

The problem with not being able to wear jeans, is the fact I have to pack double the clothes. Now for my 7day cruise I need 4-5 pairs of jeans, 4-5 pairs of slacks, 7 button downs, 7 regular shirts (going to Alaska so they will be long sleeve, a big jacket, formal shoes, tennis shoes, dress shoes for dinner, etc... Then multiply that by 1.5-2 times for the amount of stuff my girlfriend is going to bring. Thats a lot of stuff we have to tote to the airport, then through the lines at the dock, yadda yadda yadda. If they allowed jeans, Id save a ton of space.

thanks for the yadda, yadda, yadda.....perhaps you can repeat it all to the staff at the dining room entrance if they ask you to change:D

The cruise line sets these standards for a reason and I think that not following them somewhat ruins the atmosphere for your decked-out fellow travelers. As mentioned before, I've been on many cruises in the past and other folks in the dining room that didn't follow the dress suggestions kind of stuck out like a sore thumb. It's your choice ultimately but I think it's rude.

why the heck would you need 4-5 pairs of jeans?? and as many slacks?!? JUST BE CAREFUL and try not to make a mess of yourself - you can wear the same clothes over! really! Take TWO pairs of jeans (3, max) and like 2 pairs of slacks, one dark and one light...and bring a Tide pen, THEY ARE A LIFESAVER!!

and isn't there a laundrymat onboard? not sure which ship you're on, but i know most Princess ships have machines.

unless you're a complete clean freak, there is nooo reason to have fresh clothes every day. You're going to Alasak so i don't think you'll be sweating too much :D. And no one will notice if you wear the same thing twice!!

And here I was imagining that one pair of jeans should suffice for the whole trip -- even with decorations from the Burger King juicy lunch at port! I am sure that even with that you will be allowed in the dining room but suggest requesting a table for two.

PS. While I was typing this, Kaffity got there first!

Now for my 7day cruise I need 4-5 pairs of jeans, 4-5 pairs of slacks, 7 button downs, 7 regular shirts (going to Alaska so they will be long sleeve, a big jacket, formal shoes, tennis shoes, dress shoes for dinner, etc... Then multiply that by 1.5-2 times for the amount of stuff my girlfriend is going to bring. Thats a lot of stuff we have to tote to the airport, then through the lines at the dock, yadda yadda yadda. If they allowed jeans, Id save a ton of space.

Yes! That would be fine, I'm a teacher so I have plenty of clothes perfect for this kind of occassion (more on the side of fun and dressy than toward too business-y). And for goodness sake: REWEAR! I've got a couple nice skirts, a nice pair of dress pants, a couple fancy cocktail dresses and button down tops, blazers, etc. for dinner. My husband has planned to pack some linen button down shirts, sport jackets, his nice suit and a few other more business casual pieces. It'll be fine, this is just one of the things I feel strongly about. What date are you sailing? We're on the Caribbean Princess 5/13. Happy Travels!

thanks for the yadda, yadda, yadda.....perhaps you can repeat it all to the staff at the dining room entrance if they ask you to change:D

LOL.. I just want a vacation, not a job.

I really dont like packing all that stuff when I dont need it.. I dont like taking anymore than I will need. When I got to mexico for 4 days or so, I just take a backpack.

Call me crazy, but I wont wear anything more than twice without washing. I like to match my jeans with my shirts. I guess I could pack less but each pair of pants is a different color and sometimes they just dont match well. I guess I could pack a bit less but wearing the same pants 4 times in 1 week...I just cant do it :p

You and my husband are one in the same! Let me guess... can you get four wears out of a pair of underwear? Inside, outside, forward and backward? Just poking fun! :D I think that's why we work together so well as a couple in packing, he talks me out of bringing the kitchen sink.

When/where are you two cruising?

This Saturday we leave to Alaska out of Seattle. Its still in the 40's there so we have to pack "layers" which means enough stuff without an addition of more formal attire for the entire week. I was really hoping we could share 1 suitcase but its not gonna happen:D

I won't offer a negative comment here, but for myself personally. I am quite casual at home, and I love the experience when on a Cruise, to be able to dress up and experience that special service. During the day we all get casual, shorts, tank tops. After dinner we can all run back to our room and throw something more comfortable on, but for an hour, its nice to dress up a little.

In directly answering to questions, yes you will get in with nice clean untorn jeans - we saw plenty that wore them. The Princess Patters on each ship dictate the attire and its always no shorts. In directly answering your formal question, yes, the short dress is fine.

If you are flying its not easy getting everything to weigh less than 50 pounds with a 2 bag limit per person so plan carefully. They do have self-serve laundries if you find you are close to that limit before you leave which means less clothes to take. Have a great cruise! :)

It seems to me you question really is, "If I knowingly violate the dress policy on the cruise I've booked, will they still let me in the dining room?"

The answer is yes, they will. But I'm sorry you seem to care so little about the difference between right and wrong. Tom.

Agreed! You got it Paul. I've never been on a Princess cruise but I've been on a variety of other lines that range from allow to turn away with jeans and casual clothes. I spend my entire day in dressy clothes so this isn't a big deal for me. Conjuring up a funny memory - on a Costa cruise one time we had Toga night and the cabin stewards left an extra big white bed sheet per person and some toga tying instructions - I'll give you a moment to have a mental picture there. So much fun...what happened to themed dress nights? Do any cruiselines do that anymore?

Archived