Jeans in the dining room (non-formal nights)

8mpg

Cruise again

It was stated on previous page, the dress code was quoted from the Patters.I believe it was from Pam in MA.

As for the looks, they are especially prevalent on formal nights, but I have definately seen them. Even heard comments to a young couple.

Giorgi-one

That was funny LOL. Now we know why no shorts in the dining room.

Good Luck 8MPH!:D

Pam wasn't quoting the dress code from the Patters. I have all the Patters from 3 Princess trips this past year and none state "no jeans".

Also the OP isn't saying to wear jeans on formal nights.

LOL..what are your options if you cant wear shorts, jeans for pants? Slack...thats it

For guys what are your options for shirts?? button down or polo..some say a polo isnt formal

Personally, I think that many people on cruise ships dress like they just got done mowing the lawn or plowing the back forty. It looks like they spent their last penny on the cruise fare and forgot to buy any clothes for the last ten years. Goodwill Industires wouldn't sell most of the clothes that many people wear. Personally, I only wear tailored slacks (not khakis) and dressy shirts on a cruise ship (I am a man) for casual nights. On formal nights, I wear a black suit with tuxedo accessories. And I never wear this clothing to work - just for cruises and vacations. You obviously don't know much about clothing if you think the only two types of shirts are polo or button down and the only option besides jeans and shorts are slacks.

Now we are down to the real question. WHAT CAN YOU GET AWAY WITH? You can also get away with saving chairs at the pool, smoking in nonsmoking areas, bringing babies with diapers in the pools and hot tubs, cutting into the buffet lines, insider trading, selling drugs, using drugs, drunk driving, etc. That's the problem with the world. Sure jeans aren't going to hurt anyone, but it speaks for the attitude most people have. Everybody is trying to get away with something!

You hit the nail on the head! What can people get away with? Well, some people get away with speeding, while others kill pedestrians. Some people get away with driving drunk, while others cause multiple car smash ups.

Sure, jeans aren't on the same par as causing a death on the highway, but the whole issue is about breaking rules. When you start breaking one rule, then another, then another, where does it stop?

As someone already pointed out, Princess requests that people don't wear jeans to the dining room. Period. So then, guests shouldn't wear jeans to the dining room. It's not rocket science.

I mean, how would those who flaunt the rules feel if they were throwing a formal wedding, and someone in the wedding party showed up in shorts and a T shirt just because they felt like it? Because they're more comfortable than in formal wear? I'll bet they wouldn't like it much.

Sharon H.

So you are going to wear the same jeans all day and then wear them to dinner. Must be a Texas thing!

Now we are down to the real question. WHAT CAN YOU GET AWAY WITH? You can also get away with saving chairs at the pool, smoking in nonsmoking areas, bringing babies with diapers in the pools and hot tubs, cutting into the buffet lines, insider trading, selling drugs, using drugs, drunk driving, etc. That's the problem with the world. Sure jeans aren't going to hurt anyone, but it speaks for the attitude most people have. Everybody is trying to get away with something!

It's not a Texas thing. I'm also from Texas and would not care to wear the same clothes I have worn all day to a nice dinner. I also enjoy getting into something nice on occasion for a nice dinner.

Also, 8mph, I am one of those old 40+ plus folks. I have worn many different styles in my time. At no time have I felt the need to buck dress codes in eating facilities of any kind. I think you need to learn to live within the rules for once.:mad:

Pam wasn't quoting the dress code from the Patters. I have all the Patters from 3 Princess trips this past year and none state "no jeans".

Also the OP isn't saying to wear jeans on formal nights.

What do the patters say?

Pam was quoting from the Princess Answer Book. I downloaded the 2007 one just to see what it says. It specifically says no jeans in the Book.

I mean, how would those who flaunt the rules feel if they were throwing a formal wedding, and someone in the wedding party showed up in shorts and a T shirt just because they felt like it? Because they're more comfortable than in formal wear? I'll bet they wouldn't like it much.

Sharon H.

What's a formal wedding? Does that mean black jeans?

It's not a Texas thing. I'm also from Texas and would not care to wear the same clothes I have worn all day to a nice dinner. I also enjoy getting into something nice on occasion for a nice dinner.

Also, 8mph, I am one of those old 40+ plus folks. I have worn many different styles in my time. At no time have I felt the need to buck dress codes in eating facilities of any kind. I think you need to learn to live within the rules for once.:mad:

Sorry about the Texas remark, but before I met you, the only two people from Texas I knew were the OP and that guy from Crawford, so you can understand my error.

Hi 8mpg,

But if you wear jeans, be prepared as you will receive some dirty looks and maybe even some "sniffs of disdain" :)

On an Alaskan cruise I really doubt that they will receive the "dirty looks" and "sniffs of disdain". There will be a great many people that will wear jeans.

Sorry about the Texas remark, but before I met you, the only two people from Texas I knew were the OP and that guy from Crawford, so you can understand my error.

I understand now. Just know we are not all like that here in Texas (thanks goodness):p . Most of us don't mind a dress-up dinner and we generally follow the rules and laws.

Hey give the bloke a brake.,

Maybe he was in the US Navy . They invented Bell Bottoms and thats where Denim came to being. And yes it was/is American made Fabrics and clothes items too... Wish we could get American made things more. I will pay a premium for quality goods/services that are American!

He has a choice as we do too.

If he chooses not to follow the rules and is thusly caught ..he will have to suffer the consequences.. no not the tv show Truth or Consequences either..LoL:eek:

Life is not what we are able to get away with..its all about how much better we are able to make it for all involved..eh...

At his Five Star Hotel Steak House well thats there choice if they allowed guests improperly dressed to not adhere to the dress codes. I never saw that practice anywhere else in the World at a quality location.:eek:

Does the no jeans dress code applies also to breakfast and lunch?

I'm on my 40's (lower 40's :p ) and I LOVE, LOVE jeans...no, I don't intend to use them at dinner ;)...but they would be my "uniform" during day time....(Please bear with me and have mercy ...I already got a "subliminal" attack for asking, among other things, if arriving 10 mins late at dinner...not that I intend to do on purpose...was reasonable :eek: ) LOL

Hey give the bloke a brake.,

Maybe he was in the US Navy . They invented Bell Bottoms and thats where Denim came to being. And yes it was/is American made Fabrics and clothes items too... Wish we could get American made things more. I will pay a premium for quality goods/services that are American!

He has a choice as we do too.

If he chooses not to follow the rules and is thusly caught ..he will have to suffer the consequences.. no not the tv show Truth or Consequences either..LoL:eek:

Life is not what we are able to get away with..its all about how much better we are able to make it for all involved..eh...

At his Five Star Hotel Steak House well thats there choice if they allowed guests improperly dressed to not adhere to the dress codes. I never saw that practice anywhere else in the World at a quality location.:eek:

I believe the "bloke" is a "blokette".

8mpg - First the answer to your question with no opinion stated -

MAYBE YES & MAYBE NO

If you would not like to be surprised by the NO answer then after you return to the ship from your day ashore go back to your cabin and put on one of the pairs of slacks you claim you are packing.

I dont understand why people get their panties in a wad so quick because someone doesnt dress by what they think is acceptable. Its pretty snoody of people if you ask me.

It's not what the CCers think it is what PRINCESS says not to wear in the dining room. If anyone here seams to have "their panties in a wad " it is you who is viciously disagreeing with those who have done nothing more than quote the Princess policy. You specifically stated no opinions and then seem to want people to express their opinion if it happens to agree with yours.

Im sure Id get bad looks if I wore a traditional 60's/70's flannel dress up shirt and bellbottom slacks, but it is/was formal at times

NEVER, NEVER, EVER have flannel dress up shirts (that’s an oxymoron)

and bellbottom slacks been considered "formal" except perhaps at a Texas ho-down!

Sorry about the Texas remark' date=' but before I met you, the only two people from Texas I knew were the OP and that guy from Crawford, so you can understand my error.[/quote']

LOL Perhaps they are related?;)

8mpg - you really were having a boring day today weren't you?:eek: ?

I know this is a very debated subject but Im wondering if they are going to let me in the dining room or not. Id rather not hear right or wrong or your opinion on this but more of will they allow it.

The clothing that you are talking about is great for many places but it really is up to each ship. Princess has made the rules but they are not always enforced - there will be people that will try and get away with it and some do.

That being said, when we were on the Caribbean Princess during Spring Break, 3 different times people were actually turned away from the dining room. I was surprised and it's the first time I have seen it so no one can predict.

Well maybe the ultimate answer found no where else in the World but the Invention State here in the Garden State is for them to wear what is allowed in Sandy Hook next to the Fishermens Beaches in the National Park.

Yes some people think its the best suit ever to wear..but alas not many changes occur naturally so...

The Birthday Suit.

Yes Sandy Hook is the Only National park where nudism is allowed. So being nude is not rude even if its a dude.:eek:

Ipso Facto

I believe the "bloke" is a "blokette".

The clothing that you are talking about is great for many places but it really is up to each ship. Princess has made the rules but they are not always enforced - there will be people that will try and get away with it and some do.

That being said, when we were on the Caribbean Princess during Spring Break, 3 different times people were actually turned away from the dining room. I was surprised and it's the first time I have seen it so no one can predict.

Thank you for the great reply..this is probably 1 of two great answers to my question without being loaded full of opinions about jeans in the dining room.

Thanks again for the reply, it made me smile

I guess you just dont get it.. Its my vacation and I would rather NOT have to pack and change into more formal type clothes to eat dinner. I understand completely that it may be against the rules and I simply dont care. If they allow people to then Im going to break the rules. If there is no enforcement of the rules, why would anyone follow them?

It is your vacation, but it is PRINCESS' RULES.

Easy answer, not hard to understand.

Guest scfjjb
ok you do have me there. BUT I just really want to relax on a vacation and now have to dress up. I think that they should do 1 dining room for people who dont want to dress up and another for people who do. 2 birds 1 stone

BTW...do you ever speed in your car? Break any day to day laws? Same thing applies

Then maybe Norwegian is best cruise line for you. Other cruise lines are more flexible so why purposely put yourself in a situation that might make you angry (i.e. turned away from dining room.)?

Hey people...these are not rules, they are "suggested attire". The only clothing Princess really will not allow at dinner in the dining room are shorts and tank tops at dinner. They are allowed at breakfast and lunch.

OP, don't get riled up in this thread because you are going to get riled up on ship seeing how many types of clothing there are in the dining room. I paid strict attention to my last two cruises on Princess due to these threads and the Patters strictly state "no shorts or tank tops". Only people wearing shorts and tank tops got asked to change.

Some of these people in this thread have never been on a Princess cruise and are stating their opinion and then there are some that don't want change to more casual to occur.

Just take some slacks in case you feel out of place with the jeans and you'll be fine. One of these days the same food will be served at the buffet and these threads won't get people so angry.

It was stated on previous page, the dress code was quoted from the Patters. I believe it was from Pam in MA.
I quoted from the Cruise Answer Place on Princess.com (http://www.princess.com/answer/bring.html) This is the "suggested/recommended" dress. A State Trooper isn't going to come after you with flashing lights and pull you over because the dress code isn't a "law" but rather a sense of style and recommended attire for the cruiseline. If you don't like that sense of style or attire, perhaps Princess isn't for you because until the "Onboard Attire" guidelines change, this is what they are.

IMHO, the reason these threads get so heated is that the OP and others don't like the answer they're given. 99% of the time they already know the answer before they post and are just looking for a pat on the head from Mommy, telling them it's OK, the boogeyman isn't going to get them.

Hey people...these are not rules, they are "suggested attire". The only clothing Princess really will not allow at dinner in the dining room are shorts and tank tops at dinner. They are allowed at breakfast and lunch.

OP, don't get riled up in this thread because you are going to get riled up on ship seeing how many types of clothing there are in the dining room. I paid strict attention to my last two cruises on Princess due to these threads and the Patters strictly state "no shorts or tank tops". Only people wearing shorts and tank tops got asked to change.

Some of these people in this thread have never been on a Princess cruise and are stating their opinion and then there are some that don't want change to more casual to occur.

Just take some slacks in case you feel out of place with the jeans and you'll be fine. One of these days the same food will be served at the buffet and these threads won't get people so angry.

You are correct. Unfortunately, the cruise contract, the WEB site, and the mood of whom ever is enforcing the dress code suggestions are not on the same page (all three have a different position on the matter).

8mpg,

My DH & DB wear jeans almost every night on our cruises & have never been turned away. I have also worn jeans a time or two. They also wear black wranglers & boots with their tux on formal nights.

This is from the Princess web site under FAQ's:

Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits.

Y'all should be fine wearing nice jeans in the dining room.

Archived