Dawn: Does anyone find this a serious health/hygiene risk?

TrinaLC

As Boeckli stated...you should have brought it up as it happened. Too many people bring their complaints/concerns here in hopes of it filtering back to NCL.

PE

I was on a business cruise as a guest of a vendor and quite frankly it wasn't the appropriate time. Also, this was clearly a well established practice, not a rogue waiter/waitress. I think it would take far more than a guest complaint to correct this problem, since it is obviously condoned by restaurant management.

I was on a business cruise as a guest of a vendor and quite frankly it wasn't the appropriate time. Also, this was clearly a well established practice, not a rogue waiter/waitress. I think it would take far more than a guest complaint to correct this problem, since it is obviously condoned by restaurant management.

This is an awfully broad stroke statement. Did you make it a point to witness the activities of all of the wait staff in the diningroom to come to this conclusion.

My original statement stands...bring things up when they happen and not use these boards as a surrogate conduit to NCL customer service. I find that a simple observation to the proper personnel equates to almost immediate results.

PE<---thinks that is 'nuff' said...

You too...I thought I was the only one.:rolleyes:

PE

You two may be the only ones. I don't care I only use the flatware to clean my nails before I eat with my fingers & hands. The cold soup is best drunk like a milkshake. Nothing better then crewing on those rack of lamb bones. You need to be careful with the escargots in the Bistro that garlic butter can burn your fingers.:eek:

You two may be the only ones. I don't care I only use the flatware to clean my nails before I eat with my fingers & hands. The cold soup is best drunk like a milkshake. Nothing better then crewing on those rack of lamb bones. You need to be careful with the escargots in the Bistro that garlic butter can burn your fingers.:eek:

Now maybe we can change the thread title to:

Platinum Latitudes cruisers: Does anyone find them a serious health/hygiene risk?

The idea that they would re-use unused silverware is disgusting. And, the idea that people are willing to defend the practice, is surprising. Anything that has been on the table for guests...whether it be silverware, bread rolls, tortilla chips, salsa, unwrapped butter patties or anything else that isnt wrapped, should never be returned for later use. There are many things one could be exposed to, not just noro-.

Granted, we see alot of things happen in a variety of low and hi end land-based restaurants, but just because its happening, does not mean its within local health department sanitation guidelines.

I never thought about watching for this kind of thing, but thanks to the OP, I will be aware of it on future cruises.

Actually I don't think anyone "defended" the practice but a couple of us pointed out that other things bother them more. I hope that if you encounter this and it bothers you, you will complain at the source. I would assume that NCL is more likely to change things that are complained about directly.

Zeno is absolutely right. No one is defending the practice, but it happens. You could complain next time and they will correct it. When you can see them, that is. Once you leave it's business as usual. :)

As a member of the health care field, I am always observing the sanitary practices onboard ships. On most of the mass market ships I have observed the waiters removing the silverware and returning to the drawer. My question has been, why don't they just set the table with one knife, fork and spoon, then as people order, soup for instance, they can add the appropriate items. Makes sense to me and is more sanitary. I know I often taste my husband's soup or salad and then place the spoon/fork on my butter dish so the waiter knows it's been used. At least I hope he/she figures that is why it is on the butter dish. And I go crazy in the buffets when I see people sneezing and then using the serving spoons without washing their hands.

I'm very glad that the ships now have the hand sanitizers in the dining areas.

Just my opinions. But, we all need to use good handwashing and lots of it.

Happy sailing,

Joanne, the chocoholic

it would of been more credible if something were said by the op during the cruise instaed of somebody said they saw something. was there any conversation at your table or are you to observant, i always wonder if they change all the bed sheets between cruises?

I thank the OP for bringing this subject up and I will definitely take a quick glance at my silverware during my next cruise to make sure it doesn't look "used".

Of course you can't tell if someone touched it or used it to clean their fingernails, but I resign myself to the fact that germs are everywhere and as my fiancé says, they are good as they help you to build your immune system...:)

(I feel that it doesn't hurt to do a quick check for lipstick stains or something though, because that would just gross me out.)

Of course you can't tell if someone touched it or used it to clean their fingernails, but I resign myself to the fact that germs are everywhere and as my fiancé says, they are good as they help you to build your immune system...:)

Thanks for adding a bit of humor to a necessary but dreary subject!

Archived