Med. question

While on the Freedom back in April, we booked 2 cabins on the Voyager 2008 7 day med cruise. It is for myself and my wife (E3) and our daughters (age 12 in 2008 a PR). The only thing is the cruise doesn't do Venice. My wife really wants to go there. So looking a Venice alone at some later date for the 2 of us would be approx $5000.00. For $4000.00 we can change to the Brilliance 12 day Med cruise. What do you think? Is it worth it, or take the 7 day cruise and do Venice another time?

There are other options? Travel in Italy is pretty easy, you can book some fairly reasonable flights, travel by train is, also not a big deal as it is about 7 hours from Rome to Venice (not sure where you are starting or ending your cruise?), a car is another option. Venice and Rome are places that a single day isn't really enough anyway, so spend a week on your cruise with a day or two in Rome (perhaps?) before your cruise then a few days in Venice. You could even work a day in between like Florence or Verona. Lots of options for a nice vacation without the need to fly intercontinentally twice!

just a thought

jc

We had a great time on the Voyager last summer, although we went mid July, and it was hot. My daughters who were 13 and 15 found the cities to be so hot, so they did not really appreciate the beauty of Rome or the wow factor of Pompeii. I think that we should probably have done private tours.

Would you get the best out of Venice in the middle of the summer, or would your wife enjoy it later in the year when it is cooler? A bit more romantic perhaps. I think I would prefer 2 holidays to one.

My BIL went on a 7 night Eastern Med cruise starting in Venice last year, I don't remember the ship. Pity if they have changed the itinery.

Of course the very best option is to take the longer holiday go to Venice and then go back to Italy together for a romantic time together.

Maybe you should play the lottery:)

I hear ya! I have the same dilemma actually....I'm obsessed with Venice and I really want my fiance to see it when we go to Europe (I went there with my mom and the whole time all I thought about was how I couldn't wait for him to see it!:D ). We WERE looking at the 7 day ones leaving out of Venice but then it would cost alot more to stay there for a while, like you said. So I don't think you'd be crazy to do the Brilliance - gorgeous ship and in my opinion, Venice is soooo worth it!!!

We were on the Carnival Liberty last May/June doing the mediterranean and although I didn't love Carnival....if it comes down to it we may do the same itinerary on their newest ship next summer - it is only $1299 for their 12 day versus the Brilliance $1999 for the same dates...normally I would NEVER cruise anything other than RCI, but after the cost of airfare and excursions are factored, saving about $2000 is worth it. The ship staying overnight in Venice was absolutely amazing - getting lost in the canals and alleys is priceless! Just a thought - it's a fantastic itinerary (my pics are down below on my webshots link). Good luck! Planning a Europe cruise is enough to drive you crazy because there are so many "can't miss" places you want to see and only so much time! :D

Laura

Brilliance 12-day Med from Barcelona doesn't go to Venice either, does it?? Well, at least ours doesn't...

Also check out Celebrity. They have "one way" cruises from Barcelona to Venice and vice versa. You could start or end your vacay with a few days in Venice that way.

Brilliance 12-day Med from Barcelona doesn't go to Venice either, does it?? Well, at least ours doesn't...

Also check out Celebrity. They have "one way" cruises from Barcelona to Venice and vice versa. You could start or end your vacay with a few days in Venice that way.

Oh yes it does!:) The Brilliance alternates between the Venice route and the Greek Isles route throughout the summer!

We have booked the Greek Isles route for Aug '08 because we have been lucky enough to go to Venice several times already. Highly recommended.:)

Even 'though it costs quite a bit more on Brilliance don't forget you're getting 12 nights instead of 7, so will you be saving on hotel costs etc to extend your 7-nighter?? The airfare costs make it very expensive to travel to europe just for a week!

I know how you feel about trying to fit everything in at one time. Coming from England we have the same problem when we cross the Atlantic the other way! We usually end up doing a cruise one year and a land based holiday the next. However if you want to do it all in one trip have you thought about the 7 night cruise on Splendour from Venice and staying on for a few days either before or after. We did this cruise last year(with a 12 year old) and had a great time. I know its a smaller, older ship but we enjoyed it just as much. Even though we'd been to Venice before, sailing down the Grand canal on a huge ship was one of the best cruising moments so far for me.

Julie

Europe is blessed with something that we don't have in the USA a ton of low cost airlines. The key to using them is to travel light. If you can travel with one suitcase per person, you can get some great prices on flights. An example we flew Easy Jet a couple of years ago from London to Venice for $35 per person one way. Spain also, has low cost carriers, one of which is Air Europa which we flew in December, and there are others, Italy has Volare air, England has Ryan air, Easy Jet, and others. With some digging you will find even more.

jc

Have you considered the Legend instead? Personally I chose not to go on a cruise leaving from Barcelona, as driving there and to the various ports in France is easy as can be. No need to take a cruise. Italy is a different story. It is near impossible to drive there and get insurance, and as such I chose the Legend. I am adding an Italian Eurail pass to it to visit Venice, etc. You can even add a 2 or 3 country Eurail pass and see France and Spain as well.

For the first 23 years of my life I used to spent close to 3 months a year in France, Italy, Spain, etc....and while I love France (Spain I am less fond of), I feel safe enough there to do it on my own, even with my sons in tow.

Archived