Dress question (for the ladies)

I highly suggest them to anyone! I wear my regular Spanx everyday...avoids pantylines, etc. I also have the "Slim Cognito" I wear under my cocktail dresses, etc. Totally worth the money!

I bought another brand of a spanx type thing at Macy's a few weeks ago. I've lost weight over the past year, but I was still disgusted when I would try on dresses for formal night. The slimmer I bought is black and goes all the way up to my bra, and down to just above my knees. Looking at it, you would think it's uncomfortable, but once I get into it, it's amazingly comfortable and it completely smooths every little bulge. Seriously, it makes you go WOW! I bought another in beige for under a cream colored, linen dress.

I think spanx was one of Oprah's "Favorite Things" not too long ago, so that's how they gained popularity, but seriously, definitely worth the money. Also, my hair dresser said she buys hers at Marshall's and TJ Maxx.

I bought another brand of a spanx type thing at Macy's a few weeks ago. I've lost weight over the past year, but I was still disgusted when I would try on dresses for formal night. The slimmer I bought is black and goes all the way up to my bra, and down to just above my knees. Looking at it, you would think it's uncomfortable, but once I get into it, it's amazingly comfortable and it completely smooths every little bulge. Seriously, it makes you go WOW! I bought another in beige for under a cream colored, linen dress.

I think spanx was one of Oprah's "Favorite Things" not too long ago, so that's how they gained popularity, but seriously, definitely worth the money. Also, my hair dresser said she buys hers at Marshall's and TJ Maxx.

They have the less expensive version (made by the same people), at Target. They are called "Assets" :D

They have the less expensive version (made by the same people), at Target. They are called "Assets"

I bought 1 pair of those "Assets" and I refuse to buy another pair. They are in no way made the same. Spanx sucks it all in... :D Those Assets are a waste of money. You can get the same thing from Hanes Pantyhose Shapers. The Slim Cognito is the super-sucker-inner. It has hooks that can attach to your bra so you don't get that "back fat roll" and it goes mid-thigh. It is a bit of a challenge to get into, which is why there is a slit in the crotch area so you can go to the bathroom without taking it off. I was worried that I would pee on it, but surprisingly no. I couldn't imagine being in a cocktail dress without it on. JMHO.

Sorry if the above is TMI...but we are all grown ladies here. Or least I hope so.

Mine doesn't have a slit, but it's not that hard to get on and off. I bought mine at Macy's, and it has an extra panel in the stomach area. It really sucks it all in!! Now that I've tried it, I would never wear a dress without one. :D

I refuse to wear pantyhose. I am a banker, and we are expected to wear the business suit/heels/hose every day. Well...it is HOT in Georgia in the summertime. About 4 years ago I rebelled, and now wear long skirts and sandals most days, and pants in the winter. It has spread to the other ladies here as well.

Therefore, no hose for me on formal night! I always wear open toe shoes anyway.

And for the situation where "control top" is needed, Spanx are the best thing since sliced bread. I buy mine at Nordstrom Rack, usually are one sale for 9.99 or 14.99 depending on the style.

I work in retail and I can say that pantyhose are really out. It's been coming for a number of years now. About 7 years ago my boss told me that the only people wearing pantyhose are people over 40. In fact,

I work for a major shoe company and all pantyhose is clearanced out

and being discontinued. We are not going to carry it going forward.

Just keeping up with the times.

Never heard of Spanx but I'm definately interested in checking it out.

I've carried pantyhose with me (and they are vintage - I think I bought them 5 years ago) on my last half dozen cruises and haven't worn them. They're just too uncomfortable! I make sure that my footwear is comfortable without them.

I can't wear the knee-highs because DH & I do a lot of ballroom dancing, and I don't want to be on the cruise highlights DVD with my skirt swirling at the knee and the granny look on my legs!:eek: Actually, I don't want to be seen like that at all!

I can't wear the knee-highs because DH & I do a lot of ballroom dancing, and I don't want to be on the cruise highlights DVD with my skirt swirling at the knee and the granny look on my legs!:eek: Actually, I don't want to be seen like that at all!

Thank you critterchick for the laugh.....

BTW, where in SoCal are you from? I lived in san Diego for a number of years until DH was transferred to ATL. Hopefully we'll get back there soon!

This was a real eye opener for me! I'm in my 50s, and have a 15-yr old daughter (a 40th birthday surprise...). Everytime my daughter has had an event at school like a Homecoming dance or voice recital, I have been having a battle with her over wearing pantyhose. She is right, I've totally lost track of fashion. Sigh.

This thread has shaken me to the core. I guess this means I can't perm my hair anymore either, and that I have to give up my really big plastic eyeglasses... I understand my Mother so much more at this moment!!!!!

I refuse to wear pantyhose...not even under my wedding dress.

But I never travel without my Spanx. :D

I was just going to say the same thing...I'm not even wearing hose with my wedding gown, why would I bother in the Caribbean on my cruise!! Haha!!!

By the way, I love my Spanx as well.

I don't mind a lady in nylons and a nice girdle. I got no problem with the ones who don't wear nylons either. I like all kinds of the ladies. If you got enough money and that happy look on your face, that's all I care about.

The woman who started Spanx was on The View yesterday. Are they comfortable/difficult to get into?

They are easier to get into than panty hose. I just discovered them this weekend. I have no idea how I lived without them. I also bought the Hanes Go Figure since they were only 14. They seem pretty good but the Spanx makes a HUGE difference.

I haven't worn hose since sorority rush week in college. I do occasionally wear knee-highs under my knee-high boots, but they are hidden and necessary for the shoe. Since 99% of my shoes are open toed, panty hose is a huge no-no. My mother tried to convince me to wear the panty hose that has the toes cut out and a loop on the big toe to hold it on - NO WAY! Ditch the hose!

Archived