Drink Coupons - Have you used them?

dadofgage

I've previosly used the drink coupons on numerous CCL voyages with no problems at all, as I just like the simple convenience of not having the drinks appear on my S&S (realizing that I'm not actually saving any bucks in the process). But I totally jinxed myself when I replied to a post several weeks ago that I'd been fortunate to have never experienced an error on my S&S on any cruises ever. That good fortune ended last week:( , and all errors were a result of using the drink coupons. Currently (at least on Carnival Liberty) they are trying out a new process of having you present your S&S along with the coupons, so that they add your drink to your onboard expenses, but with a zero amount beside it. Yep, I think it's stupid, too, but I was told that it helps with their bookkeeping of drinks dispensed. It may help theirs, but it certainly screwed up mine. The servers lose track of which drink on their tray was with the coupon, so they run a ticket for it and ask you to sign. Of course you refuse and remind them it was no charge with the coupon, and they apologize and say they'll correct it. Checked on the cabin TV, and four times the charges remained, and one of those was for the multiple drinks of everyone at my table. Since there is no signature for the purchase they will definitely make the correction at the pursers desk, but there's the issue of wasting time in that line to do so. I spoke directly with the ship's main bar manager after the third time, and was told there were some known glitches in the new process - but I was given no indication that it would be discontinued.

So my suggestion is that if anyone is planning on using these in the near future, just keep an eye on your S&S postings via the cabin TV.

They did this on the Glory in February. We had no issues. Just stick with the rule you should be using on land and don't sign anything without checking it. The only time i had to sign for anything was that extra 25 cents...

Don- they did that on our Liberty cruise last year-- IF i got a receipt to sign I wrote on the receipt the coupon # so there was no problems for us.

the 4 coupons have the same number.

Just to add, drink coupons are only bought in advance, delivered to you at dinner on the first night - and were a pain in the butt for me. I kept forgetting them in the cabin.

Funship dollars are a better investment in keeping your bill lower, and has more spending flexibility. No worrying about whether I am losing or gaining with each purchase :) Not what I want to do while I am on vacation.

I have the same problem as you, always forgetting them in the room. :D

I guess that's the difference everyone needs to decide for themselves Nick. Spend dollar for dollar with the FunShip bucks or save a little with the coupons but have to remember to carry them around.

They did this on the Glory in February. We had no issues. Just stick with the rule you should be using on land and don't sign anything without checking it.

Yes, that is a great rule, and one I completely followed (as mentioned in my initial post). But a signature is not required for them to add a charge, in error, to your S&S once they've written down your folio number. It was that lack of my signature that made an easy case of an error, but there was just that issue of having to take the time to get it corrected - and on multiple occasions.

I was not advocating their non-use, as I already have mine in hand for my next cruise. They definitely are still a convenience. I was just advising of an issue that should be closely watched because of some new onboard procedures. It's just a human error created when trying to add a zero-cost item to your S&S.

My coupons are always in my camera case-- and my camera was always with me...so i never forgot them.

Hmmm, my camera is always with me, and my coupons are usually somewhere else. Well, duh, why didn't I think of that one? Thanks, Serene!!:)

Yeah I've never bought those coupons before, because I didn't think the savings was worth it. Not that I'm a rich guy, Im not, but for me saving $5.00 on all my foo foo drinking throughtout the 7 day cruise was not a big deal.

Yes, that is a great rule, and one I completely followed (as mentioned in my initial post). But a signature is not required for them to add a charge, in error, to your S&S once they've written down your folio number. It was that lack of my signature that made an easy case of an error, but there was just that issue of having to take the time to get it corrected - and on multiple occasions.

I was not advocating their non-use, as I already have mine in hand for my next cruise. They definitely are still a convenience. I was just advising of an issue that should be closely watched because of some new onboard procedures. It's just a human error created when trying to add a zero-cost item to your S&S.

My apologies.

• 2 weeks later...

My question is....if I buy these drink coupons, are they designated to a specific name/cabin?

We sail on January 1, 2008, and it sounds like they would be good Christmas gifts for many (11) members of my family going on the cruise. But, if I buy them, can I get them in my name and pass them out when I receive them at the first night's dinner? (I can, certainly, give an IOU at Christmas time).

:) Well I appreciate the info, I'm going to try them and see for myself what I think.

Nick and Mike its a guy thing give the coupons to your wife or girlfriend and they will remember them!

thanks to all who posted foo foo drinks here I come. Karon:)

My question is....if I buy these drink coupons, are they designated to a specific name/cabin?

We sail on January 1, 2008, and it sounds like they would be good Christmas gifts for many (11) members of my family going on the cruise. But, if I buy them, can I get them in my name and pass them out when I receive them at the first night's dinner? (I can, certainly, give an IOU at Christmas time).

You get the coupons at dinner the first night. You can buy them to come to you. OR they can be given to the people you intend them to go to and they also get a printed out message with them.

The coupons go where you want them to go-- if directly giving the coupons you will need their booking numbers.

:) Well I appreciate the info, I'm going to try them and see for myself what I think.

Nick and Mike its a guy thing give the coupons to your wife or girlfriend and they will remember them!

thanks to all who posted foo foo drinks here I come. Karon:)

Then she'd use ALL of them. :eek: :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am going to buy them for those foo-foo drinks (which are my favorite:D ) that everyone keeps mentioning. I have heard that it is actually cheaper to get them on board. Or is it only the tax that you save?

what are "foo-foo" drinks? i hear about these all over these boards!! wat are they?

What are they good for?

Is it just a credit toward a drink and you have to pay the difference?

Confused a bit here.

IF you buy a drink that is LESS than the value of the drink with the gratituty then you can use the coupon.

Let's say your coupon is worth $4.50 and you buy a bottle of beer that is $3.00. SO with the 15% gratituty you owe the bar $3.45 you can give them one of your coupons that you paid $4.50 for and ask for your $1.05 in change - OR you can say the heck with it and the bartender gets and extra $1.05 tip. BUT suppose as I did I ordered a drink that was $5.00 with gratituty that came to $5.75. Not knowing any better, I had a coupon that said "drink coupon" so I gave the waiter (in the lounge) the coupon, he took it is good for a drink and he said, "not really, it is only good for the first $4.50 of the drink". I specifically asked him if he had owed me $1.25 if I would have gotten change and he said "most people don't ask for it."

I think the whole "drink coupon" thing is a rip off.

IF you buy a drink that is LESS than the value of the drink with the gratituty then you can use the coupon.

Let's say your coupon is worth $4.50 and you buy a bottle of beer that is $3.00. SO with the 15% gratituty you owe the bar $3.45 you can give them one of your coupons that you paid $4.50 for and ask for your $1.05 in change - OR you can say the heck with it and the bartender gets and extra $1.05 tip. BUT suppose as I did I ordered a drink that was $5.00 with gratituty that came to $5.75. Not knowing any better, I had a coupon that said "drink coupon" so I gave the waiter (in the lounge) the coupon, he took it is good for a drink and he said, "not really, it is only good for the first $4.50 of the drink". I specifically asked him if he had owed me $1.25 if I would have gotten change and he said "most people don't ask for it."

I think the whole "drink coupon" thing is a rip off.

I don't use them for beer....I think they are great...I think they save me money !!

have a great day,

Carla

Need some clarification on the drink gratuity. Someone told me on Carnival's new drink price list the price listed already includes the 15%. Anyone know if this is true. So many different things being posted that I'm confused.

:confused:

Just to add, drink coupons are only bought in advance, delivered to you at dinner on the first night - and were a pain in the butt for me. I kept forgetting them in the cabin.

Funship dollars are a better investment in keeping your bill lower, and has more spending flexibility. No worrying about whether I am losing or gaining with each purchase :) Not what I want to do while I am on vacation.

I like Mr Dood's idea ... I think I am going to do this for my next cruise!

I was thinking of ordering some for our upcoming cruise. If we change our room (thinking of upgrading), will there be a problem with getting the coupons to us? I am thinking it's done by booking # but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

you are correct-- the ordering goes by the booking number so they will follow you if you are moved.. But keep all confirmations just to make sure.

When the hostess gives you the coupons you have to sign for them.

I don't use them for beer....I think they are great...I think they save me money !!

have a great day,

Carla

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THEY SAVED ME ANY MONEY - BECAUSE I MISSED IT COMPLETELY?

I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING WRONG.

WE WILL BE GOING ON ANOTHER CRUISE SHORTLY

*** BUT CRUISE INCLUDES OUR BAR TAB ***

WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT DRINK COUPONS.

Archived