Inside cabin? Tips?

Booked

I was wondering which ship this was on. The reason I ask, I booked a b-2-b yesterday on the Summit and the cabin they gave us has an upper berth. When I declined I was told the berth comes down from the ceiling and a passenger wouldn't even know it was there. I'd be very interested in having this confirmed so I have time to change cabins if necessary.

I know on Grand Princess and Celebrity's Galaxy, the upper berths folded up against the wall.

I was wondering which ship this was on. The reason I ask, I booked a b-2-b yesterday on the Summit and the cabin they gave us has an upper berth. When I declined I was told the berth comes down from the ceiling and a passenger wouldn't even know it was there. I'd be very interested in having this confirmed so I have time to change cabins if necessary.

We were in a cabin on the Constellation that had upper berths. We didn't use them, but they fit flush against the ceiling and you don't even know they are there. I wouldn't change cabins.

Mariel

I just got back from Alaska on the summit-- I can't imagine not having our balcony-- we sat on it every chance we got just to see the views-- however I totally understand $$ and would rather go with inside than not at all!! with that being said there are soooo many wonderful places to sit on the ship that you probably won't miss it at all!!

Hi,:) I have been in a cabin with upper berths. You do know they

are there but it was no big deal to me.

It is sort of from the wall and ceiling. I know that doesn't

make a lot of sense but I don't know of another way to

describe it.

I had it when I sailed Mercury a couple of different times.

• 4 weeks later...

The outdoor areas will depend on your ship. I've been on 4 different NCL ships, and all of them, except the Pearl and the Jewel, were laid out differently with different outside areas. There's usually a "promenade deck", and many of them have seating available. That's been our favorite spot. The Pearl and the Jewel both had chairs available there, and we spent literally hours sitting out there, where we were out of the direct sunlight (I burn terribly easily), enjoying the views of the ocean, and reading, doing puzzle books, or napping.

If one does book an inside cabin, are there any public areas to sit and enjoy the outdoors besides around the pool?

Oh my yes:) ......AFT upstairs beyond the buffet are tables, chairs

and umbrellas. I love those areas. A great spot to soak up the atmosphere, have a beverage, read a book, etc.

Also, on different decks there are lounge chairs where you can

just relax as well.

JC, were you wanting information on a specific ship?

Booking an inside cabin has never been a problem for me. I have

always found good spots up on deck somewhere:)

I just had a similar decision to make. We were looking at the Southern Caribbean on the Summit in a balcony cabin but I kept looking at the Galaxy itinerary, thinking we would enjoy it more. Finally I priced out an ocean view on the Galaxy and it was about the same price as the Summit balcony. The Summit is a 7 day cruise and the Galaxy is an 11 day cruise. A balcony cabin on the Galaxy was working out to be almost $1000.00 more per person. That's when I finally got things into perspective and decided we really didn't need a balcony and for the same amount of money we could cruise longer. I have been on both ships and knew I would enjoy either one. We booked an ocean view towards the aft so that if we need to be outside on deck it will only be a few steps. When we have stayed in balcony cabins we always order room service coffee and sometimes breakfast. I can see us continuing to do this even in the ocean view. It does make a nice wake-up call and a nice relaxing way to start the day. I also like the idea of having the T.V. on and watching the ship come into port.

This post has been reassuring to me that we made the right decision.

Muriel

a) We like to pack our clock/radio sound machine when we travel. We put on the "ocean" waves breaking to remind us we're on a ship...and it drowns out whatever noises may be passing in the hall (when we have a balcony, we leave the doore open for the same impact). Sharper Image has a nice travel model that's about the size of a woman's wallet.

b) There are times I MISS and inside cabin. It's so dark! Even our bedroom at home isn't that dark on a moonless night. The gentle rock of the ship and the darkness...I sleep better. That said, depending on prices, the balcony usually wins out ; )

I have a tip for you. Take a look at the ship deck plans and search for a cabin that is situated the long way on the deck (Most cabins are long and narrow look for one that is narrow and wide) you walk in and it feels so much bigger because you do not have to pass the bathroom and closet like you normally do. You walk into the sitting area instead. These are great cabins! The layout is really nice and you don't pay more for it. Just ask your travel agent to request the cabin for you.

- Nina :)

Ambiance Travel

"I am at a complete loss when not planning a cruise."

I have a tip for you. Take a look at the ship deck plans and search for a cabin that is situated the long way on the deck (Most cabins are long and narrow look for one that is narrow and wide) you walk in and it feels so much bigger because you do not have to pass the bathroom and closet like you normally do. You walk into the sitting area instead. These are great cabins! The layout is really nice and you don't pay more for it. Just ask your travel agent to request the cabin for you.

- Nina :)

"

Can you give an example of such a room on one of the ships? I think I am confused by your statement. Do you mean long and wide? How can it be narrow and wide?

Can you give an example of such a room on one of the ships? I think I am confused by your statement. Do you mean long and wide? How can it be narrow and wide?

Take a look at any of the Millenium Class ships. Cabins 2022, 2032, 2157, 2174, 2186, 2192, 3018, 3021 & 7032 probably represent what the previous poster was talking about.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Take a look at any of the Millenium Class ships. Cabins 2022, 2032, 2157, 2174, 2186, 2192, 3018, 3021 & 7032 probably represent what the previous poster was talking about.

Thanks, I'm a visual person so looking at the plans, that makes much more sense. However, now I'm wondering, does the motion of the ship "feel" different in rooms that are configured this way? Like if you have rough seas, is it rolling you from head to foot instead of side to side? (I'm full of stupid questions, too much time on my hands really).

Thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice. Our cruise was wonderul, and would never hesitate to book an inside cabin again.

Same great service, comfy bed, and lots and lots of storage space in our inside cabin on the Infinity.

And yes, we did "luck" into one of the sideways cabins, so coming in the door we were in the sitting room area, with bed to the left and hallway with washroom and closet to the right.

Having the TV on the bridge camera was the best tip - we left it on 24/7. It really helped us from feeling closed in, with our own "porthole", and we always knew when it was morning, never needed a wake-up call, and what the weather would be like - plus it made for a perfect night light.

We also enjoyed all the public areas on the ship, it was always easy to find a lounge chair with a view outside, and we made a point of taking a window seat in the bars and daytime restaurants.

One more tip -

Because we went super cheap, we were on a lower deck, and there was a bit of "engine" noise at night, which bothered us trying to sleep the first night. We'd brought along our i-pod and travel size sound system, so after the first night we'd simply turn on a mellow jazz or instrumental album, and fall asleep listening to that rather than the mechanical hummm. Worked great.

We enjoyed everything about our cruise, never once felt we needed a balcony or window - and there was a guilty little pleasure of knowing we were paying a half and a third of what our dinner tablemates had paid for the same cruise.

So my advice, never let the price of a window or balcony cabin, keep you from booking. Go for the inside and enjoy!:D

Thanks to everyone who gave me such great advice. Our cruise was wonderul, and would never hesitate to book an inside cabin again.

Same great service, comfy bed, and lots and lots of storage space in our inside cabin on the Infinity.

And yes, we did "luck" into one of the sideways cabins, so coming in the door we were in the sitting room area, with bed to the left and hallway with washroom and closet to the right.

Having the TV on the bridge camera was the best tip - we left it on 24/7. It really helped us from feeling closed in, with our own "porthole", and we always knew when it was morning, never needed a wake-up call, and what the weather would be like - plus it made for a perfect night light.

We also enjoyed all the public areas on the ship, it was always easy to find a lounge chair with a view outside, and we made a point of taking a window seat in the bars and daytime restaurants.

One more tip -

Because we went super cheap, we were on a lower deck, and there was a bit of "engine" noise at night, which bothered us trying to sleep the first night. We'd brought along our i-pod and travel size sound system, so after the first night we'd simply turn on a mellow jazz or instrumental album, and fall asleep listening to that rather than the mechanical hummm. Worked great.

We enjoyed everything about our cruise, never once felt we needed a balcony or window - and there was a guilty little pleasure of knowing we were paying a half and a third of what our dinner tablemates had paid for the same cruise.

So my advice, never let the price of a window or balcony cabin, keep you from booking. Go for the inside and enjoy!:D

Dear Booked:

I agree completely. Our last cruise had a verandah (Thank you Mom), but our next cruise will be back to an inside cabin and it's great to know that we're paying less than 1/4 what that verandah cabin cost.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I don't remember our room number but on the Alaska cruise same ship we were on the same floor as the customer service, shore excursions, etc. I think those are the 3000 numbers. We really liked that. Very quiet and very handy to everything. Sometimes you get off and on the ship on that level We have booked that same level ever since. We had a balcony once and really didn't see what the big deal is. Kind of enjoy sleeping in on sea days plus I enjoy being on deck on sea days and people watching. Really found we used the balcony very little.

Linda

Archived