Inside cabin? Tips?

Booked

Hi:

We have an inside cabin for Infinity's June 17th Alaskan cruise.

Our previous 2 cruises were Europe with HAL, and an outside cabin.

The savings were great, but I'm a little concerned about lack of natural light, especially in the a.m. - do any experienced cruisers have any tips?

Advice? Good (save the bad 'til we get back) experiences to share, going with the cheapest inside.

I just discovered C-C last week - and learning so much.

Many thanks.

Hi:

We have an inside cabin for Infinity's June 17th Alaskan cruise.

Our previous 2 cruises were Europe with HAL, and an outside cabin.

The savings were great, but I'm a little concerned about lack of natural light, especially in the a.m. - do any experienced cruisers have any tips?

Advice? Good (save the bad 'til we get back) experiences to share, going with the cheapest inside.

I just discovered C-C last week - and learning so much.

Many thanks.

We've experienced inside , outside, FV, Royal suites and being inside makes little difference if you can stand having no outside light in the room...the dimensions of the room and wardobe space / drawers etc etc are usually pretty similar unless you are paying balcony/suite prices, then you expect to have more space and facilities within your room. and a balcony outside, as well as a personal butler in suites to attend to you over and above the room steward.

We thought all the inside rooms we have used were no problem except for one..it was the last in a row against a staircase (used by crew only) and the gusts of laughter from people on that crew staircase kept us awake until 1 am most nights and although it was several decks below the disco we still had the thump thump thump of the bass percolating down..so look at the deck plan of your chosen room to check what is beside, above and below you!

We have had many inside cabins. We try to book on a deck that has cabins above and below. Also, we tend to book toward mid-ship. We have also had sound problems with a cabin several decks under the show lounge.

The problem we found was not knowing when it was morning! So take a travel clock or set up a wake-up call---best to order early morning coffee. They will call you two minutes before they arrive, to make sure you are up to receive the tray.

We do not hesitate to book inside. Have a great time. Alaska is beautiful!

The problem we found was not knowing when it was morning! So take a travel clock or set up a wake-up call---best to order early morning coffee. They will call you two minutes before they arrive, to make sure you are up to receive the tray.
Your Jun 17 Alaska cruise will include the shortest nights of the year at the summer solstice. Some people actually prefer insides so they can sleep without being bothered by the daylight at 3am! If you really want to see what is going on outside, you can always pull the bow cam up on your TV. I spend so little time in the cabin other than sleeping and changing clothes, that insides make very little difference to me. Enjoy Alaska!

When we booked our Aug 18th cruise to Alaska on the Diamond princess we booked the cheapest inside room, I do not want to pay for a balcony since I don/t think we will spend that much time in our room, and I would rather save for the excersions. I would be willing to spend a little more for a better inside room. Now we are at the bottom of the ship and are 2 decks down from any other rooms. Is it possible to upgrade our room,this is our first cruise.

When we booked our Aug 18th cruise to Alaska on the Diamond princess we booked the cheapest inside room, I do not want to pay for a balcony since I don/t think we will spend that much time in our room, and I would rather save for the excersions. I would be willing to spend a little more for a better inside room. Now we are at the bottom of the ship and are 2 decks down from any other rooms. Is it possible to upgrade our room,this is our first cruise.

Call and check availability. Of course you may have to pay the difference, but your choice.

As for inside rooms in general, I agree with saving our $ for other things. We tried our first inside room this past spring and didn't mind a bit...except it was a little difficult to get up in the morning - we never knew if it was 5am or 10am! Of course we had a clock, but it's just weird having no light. Still, I think we'll book inside from now on - it's a great savings. We had a balcony last year and maybe used it twice.

Hi,:) I book insides 95% of the time. I am one of those

folks who uses the cabin for 3 major points......shower, change

clothes and sleep;)

I have had 3 balconies and a couple of windows but those

were all on specials. Even when I had my balconies, I just

didn't use them that often throughout the cruises.

My normal cabin is an inside and I have never had a problem.

As for sleeping, I seem to sleep better on a ship than

I do here at home.

Booked, I'm sure you will LOVE your inside cabin.

Like Heather,, we have sailed in everything from the Royal Suite, outsides, balconies, CC afts to inside cabins, and there are advantages to each. It often depends on the temperature and itinerary, which we choose.

As others have noted, you will definitely sleep well in an inside cabin! So my caveat is: try not to oversleep! It's SO very tempting, with the comfy bedding and dark room and gently rolling seas ... but you don't want to miss all that amazing scenery and the fun stuff going on all over the ship.

So like Ships R Great said, set an alarm or wakeup call, or arrange room service coffee. To make it easier to get up, set out your workout clothes or something to wear, and your room service tip, the night before. Often, they call to tell you they're coming, and they are there in no time!

You will have a GREAT time! Bon Voyage!

Jan

Like Yvonne LUCKY WHITE HEATHER I have been in all standard of rooms. Do I enjoy the cruise more depending on the room I'm in absolutely NOT!

I am paying a single supplement and did the X Millennium in a CC room in March. Doing Century October this year in an inside and I have just booked on the QM2 leaving on the 12th July for 12 nights again an inside and a great price which is why I booked it. I spend very little time in my room so the balcony is not the be all and end all for me. Don't eat the canapes etc.

I have got 2 cruises for the price of 1 had I booked a balcony!

Good luck

Sue

Great encouragement for booking inside - We love roaming the ship, so I know we'll be enjoying the common areas most of the cruise, and the cabin will be just right for showering and sleeping.

And thanks for the advice for wake-up coffee (and ready-to-go workout wear) and checking out the outside activity on tv.

Does anyone know if Celebrity has bedside clocks in the cabins - can't remember what I read - or should we bring our own???

And yes, figure the savings will cover the rest of the cruise expenses - or maybe another cruise is an even a better idea!!! Think I'll start checking them out now!

Carol Anne

Great encouragement for booking inside - We love roaming the ship, so I know we'll be enjoying the common areas most of the cruise, and the cabin will be just right for showering and sleeping.

And thanks for the advice for wake-up coffee (and ready-to-go workout wear) and checking out the outside activity on tv.

Does anyone know if Celebrity has bedside clocks in the cabins - can't remember what I read - or should we bring our own???

And yes, figure the savings will cover the rest of the cruise expenses - or maybe another cruise is an even a better idea!!! Think I'll start checking them out now!

Carol Anne

Hi, they have clocks on the phones, which is on the endtable

next to the bed:)

Have a fantastic cruise:D

will you write me?

will you write me?

swore we wouldn't ever get a windowless cabin but then it came down to the sheer $ issue of ... cruise with an inside, or don't cruise at all. So we had our first inside cabin with our first more-than-a-week cruise, Galaxy to Panama Canal (partial transit) and Western Caribbean, April of last year. It was absolutely fine. We were close to the aft door that went to the open back deck so it was just steps till fresh air and light any time we wanted it. Now we're back in an inside, forward this time, on a Mercury Alaska cruise later this month -- as mentioned earlier in this thread, might be a boon to be windowless since we're going to have 11 pm sunsets and 4 am sunrises! To paraphrase that bumper sticker about fishing and work, the worst cabin cruising is better than the best day ... not cruising. -- TR

We have sailed three times with inside cabins, although, our last cruise had a balcony. Thank you, Mom. I love the inside cabins. They're the same size, and frequently cost 1/2 or less than other cabins. For the opportunity to cruise more frequently, I will gladly take an inside cabin every time. Same great food, same ports, same entertainment and same views from on deck. Enjoy!

Bob

We've been booking inside lately also to save $. No difference in most cases from outside size, etc. We leave bathroom light on, but do this anyway even if outside since its dark at night. I leave my watch on nightstand and put on little light to see or else carry a little flashlight if you don't want to disturb other(s) in cabin. Inside or out I leave a wakeup call if I want to go on an early tour since we tend to stay up later on cruises and don't wakeup as early as usual. And the TV view from the bridge is great to see what the weather is outside (raining, cloudy, etc.)

More great advice -

I would not have thought of the power bar - will pack right away, so that I don't forget.

And the weather!!! - of couse, we won't be able to peek out - but, you're right, the bridge TV will solve that.

Again thanks for sharing. My second thoughts about booking inside are totally gone.

And we were able to book a fishing excursion in Ketchikan for just the 2 of us with some of the $ we saved!!!!

:D

CA

I'm an NCL cruiser, so I don't know for sure if this works on Celebrity. NCL broadcasts the view from the bridgecam on one of the TV stations. At night, needless to say, it's pretty dark. We've been known to turn that station on, with the sound muted, and leave it on all night long. That way, when you wake up in the middle of the night, you can tell if it's really still night, or if the sun is up. Now, in Alaska, that may not mean that it's really time to get out of bed, but you'll at least be able to get some idea as to the weather outside and not feel quite as enclosed as some people do in an inside cabin.

PS -- The inside cabins don't bother me at all. We've had two insides, two outsides, and a balcony. Whatever works best for the budget and using the reward certificates for our NCL mastercard.

More great advice -

I would not have thought of the power bar - will pack right away, so that I don't forget.

And the weather!!! - of couse, we won't be able to peek out - but, you're right, the bridge TV will solve that.

Again thanks for sharing. My second thoughts about booking inside are totally gone.

And we were able to book a fishing excursion in Ketchikan for just the 2 of us with some of the $ we saved!!!!

:D

CA

Hi, glad we could help:) cabins are sort of personal thing.

Well, maybe personal is not the correct word but I do know

people who (even if you paid them to have one) would never

book an inside..no matter what.

Others, would never ever sail without a balcony.

And then, there are those folks, (put me in this group)

who just look at inside pricing.

I posted earlier I have had a balcony 3 times, once

when I shared a cabin and twice on Happy Hour sales.

And for a solo they were great sales too...so I took them;)

But the rest of the time, I just want to be on board and

normally my budget only allows the least expensive cabins.

Glad you were able to book the excursion on the amount

you saved too:D

Have a great cruise!

We're a bit of a special case, I guess. We live in a tiny 1BR apartment in Manhattan on the 4th floor of a walk-up. Having the luxury of being able to step outside from our room is something we really look forward to...which is probably why we book balconies. And, we do end up spending a fair amount of time on it.

That being said, we have booked inside before. Like you, I was worried at first. But, it was actually quite pleasant. I'm not a great sleeper...but insides are really great for sleeping. I didn't feel claustrophobic at all. After our first inside, I swore that we would never book an outside if it didn't have a balcony. If were not going to have the balcony, might as well save the money and book the inside. Nightlights and the coffee call are right on the money!

i suggest take along a nite light

Actually, there is a night light provided in every inside cabin. It's very subtle, you won't even notice it as you turn of the lights. But after a while, when your eyes get used to the dark, you'll see it spreads a soft greenish glow, just enough to find your way to the bathroom at night, without bumping into things. If you don't want to use it, just pull it out of the socket.

I don't mind inside cabins, but I try to avoid cabins with upper berths. Even folded up, the upper berths effectively make the cabin smaller. If you have the lower beds pulled together into a queen bed, you need to be careful getting out of bed. My wife wacked her one night on the upper berth, which was in the up position against the wall.

I don't mind inside cabins, but I try to avoid cabins with upper berths. My wife wacked her one night on the upper berth, which was in the up position against the wall.

I was wondering which ship this was on. The reason I ask, I booked a b-2-b yesterday on the Summit and the cabin they gave us has an upper berth. When I declined I was told the berth comes down from the ceiling and a passenger wouldn't even know it was there. I'd be very interested in having this confirmed so I have time to change cabins if necessary.

Archived