Worried About Daughter In Shore Exc.

You know your daughter and how responsible she is. If they are okay with her going alone at that age, and you are okay with it, then no issue.

Now if the excursion leaves at noon and lasts 2 1/2 hrs, that ends it at 230pm. The ship does not leave until 4pm, meaning she will need to be back by 330p usually. That is plenty of time, even an hour built in for delays. I have walked back onto the ship with 2 min to spare, so no worries. Also, in most cases, if they are on their way back and just delayed a few then they will hold the ship, I have been on when the ship was held up to 30 min waiting on the return of an excursion. There is no rule to this, they do what they can, depending on the port. In GC it is all tender, so the last tender will usually leave at a certain time, they will advise that, wish I could remember, but if she goes right to the tenders as soon as she is done with her excursion, she should be back on the ship with time to spare.

I know it is hard not to worry but it is not going to do you or anyone else any good. Try to enjoy, and not worry so much. You are going to have fun, things are going to be okay. Worry will not change a thing or stop things from happening. I know you just want everything to be wonderful and you are trying to get as much info as you can. Hang in there, it will be here before you know it!

edited to say, what you might do, is take the tender over with her and talk to the excursion folks on shore. It might help ease some concerns too.

How about posting on the Roll Call for your sail date and ask if anyone is doing that excursion? Just explain that although you think she'd be fine on her own, you'd appreciate it if someone would offer to keep their eye on her. I know that if I were on the excursion I'd have no problem with it.

That way, she gets a good amount of independence and you get peace of mind.

Viv

[quote name='Sally Forth']How about posting on the Roll Call for your sail date and ask if anyone is doing that excursion? Just explain that although you think she'd be fine on her own, you'd appreciate it if someone would offer to keep their eye on her. I know that if I were on the excursion I'd have no problem with it.

That way, she gets a good amount of independence and you get peace of mind.

Viv[/quote]

If the OP decides her daughter is mature enough to take this excursion on her own, so be it. This is her child and her decision to make. The thought of asking a perfect stranger, and that's what each of us is to each other when we communicate on a message board, to keep an eye on my child is beyond belief. You either think the girl is old and mature enough to take this exursion on her own, or you don't. To encourage a child to have trust in a virtual stranger is very strange advice, IMO.

[quote name='adjournthis120']If the OP decides her daughter is mature enough to take this excursion on her own, so be it. This is her child and her decision to make. The thought of asking a perfect stranger, and that's what each of us is to each other when we communicate on a message board, to keep an eye on my child is beyond belief. You either think the girl is old and mature enough to take this exursion on her own, or you don't. To encourage a child to have trust in a virtual stranger is very strange advice, IMO.[/quote]

I completely agree with all you've said. Advertising on a public message board that your young teen daughter will be alone and asking for a complete stranger to keep an eye on her is just ridiculous to me. What if she gets injured on the excursion. Would you expect the complete stranger (that is supposed to be watching out for her) risk missing part of their excursion, or miss getting back to the ship to see that she gets proper care? I know my opinion is an unpopular one here, and some might even flame me for it or call me rude for how I'm expressing it. But to ask a complete stranger to keep an eye on your child is what I consider rude, and in fact, somewhat dangerous. Your child is your responsibility, not anyone else's. If the OP feels comfortable letting her go alone, fine. Just don't expect others to watch her for you.

I only give parenting advice to my mother. :D So I won't go there.

But my first thought when you mentioned that your daughter is an English trained rider, is just how incredibly bored she would be. I am trained in dressage and almost died of boredom when I was on a horseback excursion with my children. You can walk faster than they let those horses go!

How about offering a mother/daughter time and get your nails done together?

Lorilinay: I want my daughter to do the things she loves even though my husband and I for medical reasons are unable to go with her. We will do many other things together and eat all dinner together. At home she and I get our nails done at times, so its nothing special to her, but it was a very good suggestion!! Thank you.

Griswald - good points.

Lynda - are you or dh able to pay for the excursion, go to the stables w/ her and wait there while she rides? At least you are off the ship and nearby if anything were to happen. I personally didn't view what you said as you wanting a day w/o her. We too love spending time w/ our dghtr and want her to also have fun on our vacations. But, for me...allowing her to be in port while I am not - not an option. I feel it is my responsibility as a mother to protect her and use my best judgment. The possible scenarios that could occur are just too big a price for me to pay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

[quote name='Clarkk W Griswald']I completely agree with all you've said. [B]Advertising on a public message board that your young teen daughter will be alone[/B] and asking for a complete stranger to keep an eye on her is just ridiculous to me. What if she gets injured on the excursion. Would you expect the complete stranger (that is supposed to be watching out for her) risk missing part of their excursion, or miss getting back to the ship to see that she gets proper care? I know my opinion is an unpopular one here, and some might even flame me for it or call me rude for how I'm expressing it. But to ask a complete stranger to keep an eye on your child is what I consider rude, and in fact, somewhat dangerous. Your child is your responsibility, not anyone else's. If the OP feels comfortable letting her go alone, fine. Just don't expect others to watch her for you.[/quote]

Good point. Now everyone in the world knows a 15 year old girl will be alone in GC and on what date - too bad they posted that. Way too scary now. Although it sorta sounds like the OP's mind was already made up.

lyndamr, I hope you can find a better solution and enjoy a worry-free cruise.

Hello Everybody,

After sleeping another night on this issue, I decided I have no problem in having my daughter go on this excursion. I contacted the stable company and they reassured me she is safe and they have others the same age of my daughter going on this excursion alone. They told me they keep an extra eye (the guides) on minors that attend without adults. They also told me if I were to stay at the stables they ride the horses to the beach area which I will not be able to see as they ride along the beach.

I am confident she will be safe, knowing my daughter, the fact she is on a ship excursion and with other people in a group, its not that she is renting the horse and going on by herself. The reason why I posted this was I was a bit concerned about the timing she get back, saying in my mind what if she cuts it too close getting back when the ship leaves, or what if they are held up for a reason and miss the ship. Royal Caribbean told me they generally do wait for ship excursion late passengers. She will be getting back around 2:30-3 and ship sails at 4. Our cell phones do work in GC we know that as last year visiting there they did, I will have complete phone contact with her. The stables are not far from the port.

My daughter last night went to the store and got her riding summer outfit, she is excited as for me yes I will worry but she is in just as good hands as she is at school and let us not forget all the things that happen in schools, its awful. She waits on the bus stop alone at 6:30am in the dark, she drives, she flies alone once every 6 weeks for a weekened visit to her grandparents, she can go on the ship excursion in GC, I am not worried, just about her getting back to the ship in time, but the horseback riding place tell me they do this with all ship passengers they get them back and know the routine. :)

[quote name='terri23']Good point. Now everyone in the world knows a 15 year old girl will be alone in GC and on what date - too bad they posted that. Way too scary now. Although it sorta sounds like the OP's mind was already made up.

lyndamr, I hope you can find a better solution and enjoy a worry-free cruise.[/quote]

And since she will be the only 15 year old girl on the entire island, she will be easy to spot.

Come off it. I see 15 year old girls all alone all the time, both at home and abroad. First of all, Grand Cayman is at least as safe as the United States. Second, she is not going to be all alone on some dark alley at night. She is going to be with a group.

The Secret Service cannot protect the President (Kennedy and Regan can verify that). Nothing is 100% safe. Yet people act like that is the only thing that is acceptable. In a few months she is going to be driving. How can you trust someone with the keys to the car if you cannot trust them to ride a horse with a group.

Cruiser2: Interesting how you made that point, my point exactly. My daughter is allowed to drive because she is polite, uses her head, does great in school and is responsible and doesn't give us trouble...if she did no driving for her!!!!:p

Sounds to me like you have done all you can. With careful thought and planning you have made an educated decision.

Sometimes you ask for one thing on here and get something you didnt count on. I think most were just concerned and not really trying to be mean or negative. There are always those that over react, but they do not know you or your daughter and can only go by their own personal experience or feelings. Sounds to me like you have handled this well and covered all bases.

Go, enjoy, have her take lots of photos! Have a great cruise!

[quote name='Cuizer2']And since she will be the only 15 year old girl on the entire island, she will be easy to spot.

Come off it. I see 15 year old girls all alone all the time, both at home and abroad. First of all, Grand Cayman is at least as safe as the United States. Second, she is not going to be all alone on some dark alley at night. She is going to be with a group.

The Secret Service cannot protect the President (Kennedy and Regan can verify that). Nothing is 100% safe. Yet people act like that is the only thing that is acceptable. In a few months she is going to be driving. How can you trust someone with the keys to the car if you cannot trust them to ride a horse with a group.[/quote]

Because my opinion differs from yours you tell me to "come off it"?? Nice. :mad:

OP... I think you made a sound decision. I'm sure that your daughter will have a great time. Like I mentioned previously... by the time I was her age, I'd spent four weeks of my life in Grand Cayman... without my parents... scuba diving (somewhat more risky than horseback riding). It was a safe and beautiful country then and it still is. I'm sure she'll be fine. Have a great vacation and ignore the naysayers. Who knows what their kids get into when their backs are turned?

[quote name='bplazo']I have heard several stories where it was a ship sponsered tour and the ship did not wait. I have an 18 year old daugher and I still will not allow her to go off on a port without me. Yes, I know they can go fight for their country at 18 but she is not doing that either unless I am with her.[/quote]

As a Mom with a son in the Marines, I have learned that every day here is a precious gift. My daughters (19 and 15) will be going on the Canopy Tours by themselves as my mother is 75, and though can keep up with the best of them, is not quite up to that excursion, nor am I! I have booked a private tour of Jamaica around my daughters' excursion and will meet them when they return. I have no issue with them going on a ship sponsored excursion without a parent in attendance, unless it is a requirement. To the OP, trust your instinct and I hope your family has a wonderful time!! (We are on the same cruise!!)

Irishmom23: We also have friends that have a 20 year old son and 15 year old daughter, and my fiance's brother will be going (were a group of 14) he has a daughter 18 and his fiance daughter is also 15, three girls in our group are 15. A boy 20 and a girl 18 soon to be 19. :) Maybe we will bump into one another the kids are the same age.

Tia6368: My daughter right now drives but with an adult in november when she turns 16 she gets her license and yes, she can drive by herself.

[quote name='lyndamr']Tia6368: My daughter right now drives but with an adult in november when she turns 16 she gets her license and yes, she can drive by herself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clarifying that, she is driving with a permit, not a license.

You are correct, we cannot live a sheltered life, look at what happened to Kelsey Smith who just made a trip to her local store :eek:

[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19065065/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19065065/[/URL]

###

[quote name='nellydean']so, let's get this straight? a 'child' of 16 in the USA can legally get behind the wheel of a car, and obtain guns to take into college, but they are not old enough to go on an official tour excurison WITH one of the parents attending?

sheesh, sounds about right to me![/quote]

NO! a 16 yearold can not legally buy a firearm.!!!

[quote name='HurricaneSally']The ship will not wait, even for a ship sponsored tour. This is evidenced by the couples that did a scuba tour a few weeks ago and got left behind in Grand Cayman.[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua]Just for the sake of giving correct information: it's not accurate to say that the ship [I]won't[/I] wait, and it's not accurate to say that it [I]will.[/I] In reality, it depends on lots of different circumstances.
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Archived