Worried About Daughter In Shore Exc.

[quote name='nellydean']so, let's get this straight? a 'child' of 16 in the USA can legally get behind the wheel of a car, and obtain guns to take into college, but they are not old enough to go on an official tour excurison WITH one of the parents attending?

sheesh, sounds about right to me![/quote]

Nellydean
I love my country, I fight for my country but somethins are just not right.

But to answer your question if your tour is booked through the ship the ship WILL wait. but I would not let my 16 year old daugther go by her self you know what people are like.

[quote name='reallyitsmema']New Hampshire is another state that allows driver's permits at 15, 15 1/2 to be exact.[/quote]

I have mixed emotions about it, as I grew up in a privately funded neighborhood and was allowed to drive from my house to my neighbors, (cup o' sugar dirt road type thing) at the age of 14. It was great because I was able to learn in a private rural setting with my parents, and I'm certain that, that life experience was helpful when I got on the road at 16.

I wish that more kids could learn to drive in a private and safer setting, but these days, I can't stand the thought of thinking of my nieces getting their licences at 16. :eek: We have such a bad driving record for kids in RI that they are considering raising the driving age.

[quote name='rsscaptain']I didn't think that there were any US states that allowed permits at 15 anymore? :eek:[/QUOTE]

In Texas it is mandatory if they want a license at 16. If a driver is under 18 they have to do the graduated driver licensing program.

[QUOTE]The graduated driver licensing program aims to achieve these great results in a few ways. First, it requires all those under 18 to start out with a learner's permit, only driving with a licensed adult (21 or older) in the car with them. Teens need to have this permit for six months and have turned at least 16 before they can move on to a provisional license.

The provisional license then lets teens drive without an adult―but not with more than one friend under 21 in the car with them. And they can't drive between midnight and 5 a.m. [/QUOTE]

In Texas it is mandatory if they want a license at 16. If a driver is under 18 they have to do the graduated driver licensing program.

Wow, well whatever the case may be, here's hoping that everyone has a safe and happy trip! :D

I have not read through all of the posts, but I would let her go and not worry. A 16 year old on a ship's excursion will be fine. Grand Cayman is a small island, and I wouldn't worry about the group not getting back to the ship.

Let her go and have a wonderful experience!

I must be a horrible parent by some posters standards. I let my daughter go to Paris with a group of kids ages 14 - 18 for 2 weeks (she was 16 almost 17 at the time) with only 1 adult chaperone. The kids wondered around Paris on their own all the time. Yes something could have happened and if it had I would have been devistated. However, something can happen just as easily right in my home town.

To the OP, you know your daughter better than anyone on the boards. if you trust her judgement and she is a responsible kid then let her go.

The answer is with the daughter, not really the island or excursion. Is she independent, resourceful, confident, etc. If this would be her first 'away' time, then maybe not. Or has she been to the mall and got lost, then maybe not. If she comfortable to speak up and ask questions, then maybe so.

Otherwise, GC is a fair choice for such an independent move. I feel safe there - but even paradise is not immune to danger.

I must be a horrible parent by some posters standards. I let my daughter go to Paris with a group of kids ages 14 - 18 for 2 weeks (she was 16 almost 17 at the time) with only 1 adult chaperone. The kids wondered around Paris on their own all the time. Yes something could have happened and if it had I would have been devistated. However, something can happen just as easily right in my home town.

To the OP, you know your daughter better than anyone on the boards. if you trust her judgement and she is a responsible kid then let her go.

As someone who has lived in Paris and has traveled there many times, I would dispute your assertion that something could happen "just as easily" in your home town. Thank God it didn't, all's well that ends well, etc., but I would caution people about sending their kids to Paris with that kind of kid to chaperone ratio, seriously.

That said, I LOVE Paris, I went there by myself at 23, did okay by the grace of God (and looking back, that's kind of amazing). To quote the movie Casablanca, your child "will always have Paris." Wonderful times, your child is very lucky to have had that experience, so you are NOT a "horrible parent." I hope your child thanked you a thousand times!!!:)

I have mixed emotions about it, as I grew up in a privately funded neighborhood and was allowed to drive from my house to my neighbors, (cup o' sugar dirt road type thing) at the age of 14. It was great because I was able to learn in a private rural setting with my parents, and I'm certain that, that life experience was helpful when I got on the road at 16.

I wish that more kids could learn to drive in a private and safer setting, but these days, I can't stand the thought of thinking of my nieces getting their licences at 16. :eek: We have such a bad driving record for kids in RI that they are considering raising the driving age.

You have mixed emotions, my DS goes for his license at 7:30 tomorrow morning, he is 16 1/2yrs and 3 days old:p We are getting picked up at 11 for the airport and sail on the Mariner on Sunday, he couldn't wait until we got back. :D We have new laws in effect now in MA for drivers under 18, first speeding ticket is an automatic 3 month suspension, $500 reinstatement fee, 2 hr mandatory roadrage training and then have to get retested and pay those fees again too. Hopefully this will be an incentive to slow kids down.

You have mixed emotions, my DS goes for his license at 7:30 tomorrow morning, he is 16 1/2yrs and 3 days old:p We are getting picked up at 11 for the airport and sail on the Mariner on Sunday, he couldn't wait until we got back. :D We have new laws in effect now in MA for drivers under 18, first speeding ticket is an automatic 3 month suspension, $500 reinstatement fee, 2 hr mandatory roadrage training and then have to get retested and pay those fees again too. Hopefully this will be an incentive to slow kids down.

Why do you get road rage training for speeding? Going 40 in a 35 zone or 75 in a 65 zone is not road rage. Its lead footidness.

Someone mentioned the missing girl in Aruba. How about the teenager killed last week going to the mall in Overland Park, Ks., one of the safest suburbs in the country. 6,000 teenagers are killed every year on our freeways. Let her go, as FDR said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself."

One of the biggest misnomers that I see in this thread and in others is the "you know your kids best"....

What kid tells their parents everything? And although yes, parents "KNOW" their kids probably better than anyone, they are usually the last ones to know about the negative stuff than anyone!

I was a pretty good kid and my parents thought I was so responsible, as I very well could be and was, but I sure pulled the wool over their eyes when I wanted too! :o :p :o

I have not read all the threads either, but wanted to put my 2 cents in. :D

I don't know about RCCL ships, but on Disney, they actually have off-ship excursions that are just for teens. My two went on a sailing excursion when they were 16 and 13. I just instructed them to come right back onto the ship, as soon as the bus let them back off at the pier. I was also watching for them.;)

One of the biggest misnomers that I see in this thread and in others is the "you know your kids best"....

What kid tells their parents everything? And although yes, parents "KNOW" their kids probably better than anyone, they are usually the last ones to know about the negative stuff than anyone!

I was a pretty good kid and my parents thought I was so responsible, as I very well could be and was, but I sure pulled the wool over their eyes when I wanted too! :o :p :o

I've often thought that when I see that written. I think once the kids become teens, it would be more accurate to say "their friends know them best..."

I have two great kids and they have given me no reason to distrust them; however, I've never heard of a teen that didn't at some point make a bad decision or do something they know their parents don't approve of. The trick is how to give them enough rope to learn responsibility without being so naive that you don't anticipate and prepare for the possibility that they just might not do the smart thing. It's a hard line to walk sometimes.

The initial worry was what if the tour was late and the ship left them behind..

So..If the Mom was along on the ride,then she would be left as well.

So...I guess if she goes on the ride alone ,and the tour is late then all the mom has to do is get off the ship and wait for her daughter..She would be no worse off..

If we were always worried about the ship leaving us,no one would ever go on an excursion.

Its a critical age,and I think 16 would be about the lowest age I would let go on their own.

I guess the only thing I would add is to make sure the tour quides had access to the number to the ship or even your room or personal cell phone if applicable in GC where you could be reached in case of an injury or something..

She will have the time of her life,and you will be very proud and happy for her.Someone did mention that maybe she would meet someone onboard that would want to go..That sounds like a good idea if not just to make her a little less appreshensive.

I have ridden Western my entire life.Including competive Rodeo and Horsemanship.As well as brought my own to our beach cabin for the summer when we were younger..My parents used to say I rode like a Commanche Indian.:eek: I still have a great time on trail and pleasure rides.As most Horsemen and Women do.

Archived