Anybody recently back from Century?

florisdekort

Anybody recently back from Century Northern Europe? I'm eager to read about the ship, food, service, itinerary, tips for what to do in each port, weather, etc. :D Thanks!!

Floris

We did the Norwegian Fjord May 9 with visits to Oslo, Stavanger, Flamm, Alesund and Bergen.

Ship (which I visited already August last year) is very nice, in great condition. Service and food was excellent.

We were lucky with the weather, sunny, hardly any rain and a sea as smooth like a lake!

I think your itinary is different, but at least make a daytrip through the fjords.

(I could have written this in dutch I think, but now others can read it too.)

We did the Norwegian Fjord May 9 with visits to Oslo, Stavanger, Flamm, Alesund and Bergen. Ship (which I visited already August last year) is very nice, in great condition. Service and food was excellent. We were lucky with the weather, sunny, hardly any rain and a sea as smooth like a lake! I think your itinary is different, but at least make a daytrip through the fjords.

(I could have written this in dutch I think, but now others can read it too.)

Thank you Ine! Ja, het had inderdaad in het Nederlands gekund :D

Good to hear you enjoyed Century. I have only sailed M class so far, so am curious to find out how I will like a smaller ship. I am living in San Francisco, but am Dutch by birth, so sailing from "my town" Amsterdam will be a nice added bonus!

Floris

We have travelled and still travel often, made some cruises too.

We have sailed Summit, which is a different ship.

Sailing from/to Amsterdam made it special to us. Often waved to friends and other CC members sailing Northseacanal, now it was our turn to see others wave to us and sail "de sluizen van IJmuiden"

I have photos online of the Century visit last year on:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Visit%20on%20board%20Century/

I have photos online of the cruise too, but I think you visit different ports.

We have travelled and still travel often, made some cruises too.

We have sailed Summit, which is a different ship.

Sailing from/to Amsterdam made it special to us. Often waved to friends and other CC members sailing Northseacanal, now it was our turn to see others wave to us and sail "de sluizen van IJmuiden"

I have photos online of the Century visit last year on:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Visit%20on%20board%20Century/

I have photos online of the cruise too, but I think you visit different ports.

Hi, Ine. I always appreciate your photos. I looked at the pictures at photobucket, but could not find any of an actual cruise into Norway. Can you provide the link for that?

Hi, Ine. I always appreciate your photos. I looked at the pictures at photobucket, but could not find any of an actual cruise into Norway. Can you provide the link for that?

Those photos are indeed on a different link. Check: http://picasaweb.google.nl/InesQandA/CenturyCruiseToNorway

Floris, I noticed you will visit Alesund and Bergen too.

Bergen is easy to do by yourself. Ships docks close to city-center. Walk to the funiculair in 10/15 minutes, ride it and have a terrific view over the city. http://www.floibanen.com/default.asp.

After that walk through the city and/or take the touristic train that leaves 1 x per hour near the fish-market. For Kr. 120.- it drives you around in 1 hour.

http://www.norway.com/directories/d_company.asp?id=5294

Also walk the "Bryggen" area, near the harbor. Small old wooden houses in all colors. There is a small alley between some of those houses to have a better view.

In Alesund we booked the ships-full day tour to Geirangen. By bus incl. a very good lunch in Geirangen. We sailed 3 ferrys with the bus, incl. 1 hour in the geirangerfjord. Beautiful! One of the guides has a daughter living in Rotterdam. Alesund is a nice small town, if you donot make a tour, take here the touristic train, which goes to the top of the mountain for again a terrific view.

http://www.bytoget.no/index.php?id=29&sprak=2

Dear Ine,

I enjoy your posts and pictures very much.

My husband (retired professor) and I will be on the Century 26th August Norwegian fjord cruise r/t from Amsterdam. We'll be arriving in Amsterdam on 24 August. We've been to the Netherlands many times, but this year DH has a mobility issue with arthritis in his knees that makes it difficult for him to walk more than about 3-4 city blocks. He's mobile, but slow. So we will need to plan this trip differently. I will arrange for special services at Schiphol to get through customs.

Any thoughts/suggestions you have regarding the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. Transportation from Schiphol to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel. (In the past we've used the train, but - with luggage- I wonder if we might book a car or taxi service.)

2. Cruise shore excursions: your suggestions in this post are helpful. Typically we've gone the independent excursion route in the past, but what are your thoughts in terms of getting about in Oslo, Alesund, etc? We enjoy nature and history. The Flam Railway sounds great!

Thanks so much in advance.

Sue

<<Any thoughts/suggestions you have regarding the following would be greatly appreciated:

1. Transportation from Schiphol to Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel. (In the past we've used the train, but - with luggage- I wonder if we might book a car or taxi service.)

2. Cruise shore excursions: your suggestions in this post are helpful. Typically we've gone the independent excursion route in the past, but what are your thoughts in terms of getting about in Oslo, Alesund, etc? We enjoy nature and history. The Flam Railway sounds great!

Thanks so much in advance.

Sue

Hi Sue.

You will love the itinary, it really is very nice.

The easiest way to get to the Renaissance is to get a cab from the airport. Rate will be around Eur. 40.- or check this link:

http://www.schipholservice.biz/indexeng.html

or take the shuttle bus that goes along various hotels:

http://www.schipholhotelshuttle.nl/site/toonhotel.asp?HotelID=319

If you read other pages of that website, you will see you just go to their desk in the arrivalhall.

In Oslo - as the hoponn/off bus was not running yet at that time - we booked a 2hr. excursion to Holmenkolmen and Vigelund. Very interesting, little walking. Back at the port we walked Akershuscastle gardens, next to the ship. It is walking distance to city-center, or take the hopon/off bus.

In Stavanger the ship again docks in city-centre next to Gammle district with the old wooden houses. Cathedral etc. is walking distance, but again we booked a city-excursion to see more of city and surroundings. The boattour through Lysefjord was fully booked already.

In Flamm we booked the full dat overland to Voss(not the one to Geilo). By bus (in summer sometimes partly by boat) to Stalheim Hotel (beautiful view), Tvinde waterfalls, Voss with lunch near the lake and back by train to Myrdal and the famous train to Flamm. (Sometimes done the other way around). Walking was done in Voss with plenty of time, no problem.

In Alesund the mentioned excursion to Geiranger, which was great again.

In Bergen as mentioned by ourself.

Hope this helps

Ine,

Thanks so much for the prompt and very helpful reply. Clearly it's time for us to study the shore excursion options more carefully now.

Your suggestion about the taxi or shuttle from the airport confirm my own thinking. I will check out the links you provided.

Sincerely,

Sue

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

We are considering the August 2008 cruise out of Amsterdam to Ireland and Norway. What are the days at sea like? Can you hang out on the decks at the pool, or is it a little cool? IS it long sleeve shirt weather?

Thanks

Tony

Thank you Ine! Ja, het had inderdaad in het Nederlands gekund :D

Good to hear you enjoyed Century. I have only sailed M class so far, so am curious to find out how I will like a smaller ship. I am living in San Francisco, but am Dutch by birth, so sailing from "my town" Amsterdam will be a nice added bonus!

Floris

Greetings from another San Franciscan! Off on the Mercury in October, my first Century class ship!

Just got back last Thursday from the Baltic. Century is a great ship, food was great, entertainment was ok, All the ports except Lithuania were fabulious. A perfect cruise. Service was great. Mark

Greetings from another San Franciscan! Off on the Mercury in October, my first Century class ship!

avalon, when in October are you sailing? I hope you enjoy

Mercury..... I will be on her in Oct too:Dit will be my

4th and 5th time:)

Archived