Formal Nights on Alaska Cruise (Princess)

Cookie Lady

Yes, we knew about formal nights on the cruise before we booked it and, yes, we can read. (Perhaps at some point in your life you have been misinformed about cattle ranchers and their literacy.) If you will go back and read my post, then you will see that our only problem with formal night is the fact that the gentlemen must wear nothing less than dress slacks to be allowed into the dining room. Nothing was ever mentioned in my post about a tee shirt or polo shirt being worn and I even went so far as to mention that my husband would be wearing a nice white dress shirt and a sports jacket on formal nights. I also stated at the beginning of my post that although my husband is not happy about the "no jeans" rule, he does intend on following it. That way maybe we won't be stuck in a corner by ourselves for all of the other dinner guests to glare at us because we have ruined their meals by wearing denim rather than permanent press. Then again, the more I think about it, that doesn't sound like such a bad place to be.

Was in no way a criticism of what your husband intended to wear it was to show that even people who wore polo shirts and slacks were admitted to the main dining room.

Was in no way a criticism of what your husband intended to wear it was to show that even people who wore polo shirts and slacks were admitted to the main dining room.

Ummmm ... and what about "the glares these people received."? Did that need to be included in your innocent post?

Yes, we knew about formal nights on the cruise before we booked it and, yes, we can read. (Perhaps at some point in your life you have been misinformed about cattle ranchers and their literacy.) If you will go back and read my post, then you will see that our only problem with formal night is the fact that the gentlemen must wear nothing less than dress slacks to be allowed into the dining room. Nothing was ever mentioned in my post about a tee shirt or polo shirt being worn and I even went so far as to mention that my husband would be wearing a nice white dress shirt and a sports jacket on formal nights. I also stated at the beginning of my post that although my husband is not happy about the "no jeans" rule, he does intend on following it. That way maybe we won't be stuck in a corner by ourselves for all of the other dinner guests to glare at us because we have ruined their meals by wearing denim rather than permanent press. Then again, the more I think about it, that doesn't sound like such a bad place to be.

Must be different in GA because I live part of the year dead smack in the middle of some of the largest ranching country in the USA and all the neighbors have suits or at least dress slacks to wear with their jackets to church and out to dinner.

DH is from Northern Iowa and his Dad farms. He also has a suit as well as nice slacks.

We own a small farm in Northern Missouri (where we raise purebred polled Herefords for breeding stock) and all our neighbors can at least finagle dress slacks and a nice jacket with tie, if not a suit, for weddings, funerals and the occasional night out in Kansas City or Des Moines.

Really shouldn't be too hard to find some dress slacks.

Ummmm ... and what about "the glares these people received."? Did that need to be included in your innocent post?

I guess you've never heard of consequences for your actions. That was the consequence these people received for their action.

Wow. I'm really glad that I am not cruising on Princess! I'd probably cry if I got glared at because Dave was wearing a nice button down shirt and khakis! My gosh, how can what someone is wearing ruin a person's meal? Esprewell, we'd be glad to have you and your husband at our table. No glares from us!

Must be different in GA because I live part of the year dead smack in the middle of some of the largest ranching country in the USA and all the neighbors have suits or at least dress slacks to wear with their jackets to church and out to dinner.

DH is from Northern Iowa and his Dad farms. He also has a suit as well as nice slacks.

We own a small farm in Northern Missouri (where we raise purebred polled Herefords for breeding stock) and all our neighbors can at least finagle dress slacks and a nice jacket with tie, if not a suit, for weddings, funerals and the occasional night out in Kansas City or Des Moines.

Really shouldn't be too hard to find some dress slacks.

I'm sorry, but which part of either of my posts caused you to arrive at the fact that my husband doesn't own a pair of dress slacks that he can wear on the cruise? Or did you just assume that would be the case when you saw that I live in GA?

Greyshadowfax, thanks for your invitation! I'll bet we would have a great time sitting with you and your hubby, laughing and pointing at all of the $2 cigars and fake tiaras of the people glaring at us from across the dining room. After that we can all go back to our suite and drink champaign on the balcony while my husband explains how that cows are actually alot like people and that even though one is "registered", the s#!+ still stinks just the same. :rolleyes:

I guess you've never heard of consequences for your actions. That was the consequence these people received for their action.

My point was that you felt it was necessary to point it out. A terrible "consequence" indeed;).

What a thread this is! I had a reply all written out and then trashed it because I knew that I would catch flack for it. Let's just say "Esprewell, My husband and I would be honored to share a dinner table with you. Let them stare and glare"

We did the Princess northbound, in late June; the 'traditional dining room' with 8:00 din din, had a thorough inspection at the entrance door. A sport coat of some fashion was req'd, no exceptions. The mix of dress ranged from tuxs and prom gowns, to a jacket over a golf shirt or dark T shirt...

I borrowed one of my father-in-law's jackets to slip under the radar, as we were in the middle of an 8+ week cross country car trip in our VetteVert, and

our fuddy duddy 'formal wear' did not make the cut, for packing the car.

GL, mD

We are cattle ranchers and my husband is not happy at all about having to put on a pair of dress slacks for formal nights on our cruise to Alaska. Although I'm pretty sure he'll wear the slacks for me, I just don't have the heart to make him put on a tie also. He's a cowboy. Yes, a real cowboy. He lives in Wrangler jeans, works in Wrangler jeans, he married me wearing Wrangler jeans, and we have attended black tie charity events in our town with him wearing Wrangler jeans. (No, we don't live in Texas, hahaha.) But to think that he could be turned away from the dining room (or that someone would actually be offended) on formal nights for wearing his Wrangler jeans (non-faded, starched to perfection with a perfect crease down the front) with a pair of $500 ostrich skin boots, starched white shirt and sports jacket (we must leave his cowboy hat at home due to luggage space), is a bit irritating. After all, did we not pay for the food served on formal nights as well as the opportunity to be waited on in a full service dining room just like everyone else? As long as we are clean, respectable and dressed to a level at which we are comfortable, why should we not be allowed to eat in the same dining room with people who choose to dress a little fancier than we do? (I promise we won't be offended by the light flashing into our eyes from all of the sequened tops and crystal necklaces ;)) If it bothers someone sitting at another table that we are not dressed as "formally" as they are, but just as respectably, perhaps they should look down at the steak they are eating and realize that it's people like us that helped get it to their plate in the first place. (Of course, if the steak is tough, we had nothing to do with it. That calf must have come from someone else's ranch. :D)

My family is from ranching territory in Texas so I do get where you are coming from even tho I live in the Midwest. What you descibe is how my uncles dress for dress up occasions complete with dress style cowboy boots ( which are not the same as the everyday cowboy boots).

Not to add fuel to this "discussion" but...

The problem i think that people are forgetting is that there are jeans and there are jeans...there's the kind you work in and get scruffy and the kind that are dress jeans, pressed and starched. The fit and the look are completely different. I don't think you or your husband would have any difficulty being seated in the main dining room in the dress outfit you describe which is pressed wranglers, button down shirt and a jacket.

Now if you come to the main dining room with those loose baggy jeans that are belted down so low that your entire ass is hanging out the back and the bottoms hanging in puddles around the ankles with a loose fitting tee shirt, then there might be an issue. Saw a guy recently with the belt of his jeans literally below his rear. You have to wonder how they walk.

My family is from ranching territory in Texas so I do get where you are coming from even tho I live in the Midwest. What you descibe is how my uncles dress for dress up occasions complete with dress style cowboy boots ( which are not the same as the everyday cowboy boots).

Not to add fuel to this "discussion" but...

The problem i think that people are forgetting is that there are jeans and there are jeans...there's the kind you work in and get scruffy and the kind that are dress jeans, pressed and starched. The fit and the look are completely different. I don't think you or your husband would have any difficulty being seated in the main dining room in the dress outfit you describe which is pressed wranglers, button down shirt and a jacket.

Now if you come to the main dining room with those loose baggy jeans that are belted down so low that your entire ass is hanging out the back and the bottoms hanging in puddles around the ankles with a loose fitting tee shirt, then there might be an issue. Saw a guy recently with the belt of his jeans literally below his rear. You have to wonder how they walk.

Vmom, you are exactly right! You have cleared things up nicely in my opinion. This thread ran in the ditch a long time ago but it sure has been fun :p. Now, I have to go finish packing. We leave Saturday!! :D

Wow, some do get churned up over the clothing issue.

Esprewell, we'd love to sit at your table as well if you don't mind.:D Hubby and I live in a hot place, we do not have a lifestyle that requires jackets, except rain jackets occasionally and that is very occasionally.

We are not doing the formal thing, we are travelling 26 hours, halfway across the world to get to Seattle and then driving thru the USA after the cruise, we won't be bringing hubby's suit for one or two nights and then carting it around the rest of the time.

Yes, he will be bringing some dress slacks and nice shirts as well as his jeans:D, hope no one glares at us.:D

Oh and as I have never been on a cruise before and although I thought I had done a lot of research the clothing issue I had overlooked, I was more concerned about the actual itinerary of the cruise, never gave formal clothing a thought. Oh well, live and learn.

I will be on the Island Princess at the end of August to Alaska. I will check out the dress of my fellow shipmates and report back in my review.( I even heard that on formal night(s) the speciality restaurants want formal dress,not sure if this is true, but I will ask and report back)

I think it is truly up to the staff in the dining room on what you can get away with on formal nights. They may turn you away or they may not if you don't look like you are formally dressed. No, it is not consistent from ship to ship or for that matter dining room to dining room.(Princess needs to be consistent corporate wide on this,but they are not ,so for now, much to be said on this on CC)

If you go on Princess, expect to dress in the dining room on formal night(s) as their guidelines say.

Hope the OP(Cookie Lady) got an answer to her/his question!

Can anyone tell me if Formal nights are more or less formal in Alaska than, say, a Caribbean cruise? Are there usually 2 Formal nights? Will a sportcoat and silk tee be acceptable for gentlemen or must it be a suit and tie? Thanks.

I have worn dress shirt and slacks on my last several formal nights. I hate them!

I think you will be fine in what you proposed.

• 3 years later...

I have been on Princess in both the Caribbean and on an Alaskan cruise and there was a far greater percentage of people on the Caribbean on that did not dress up, stayed in their shorts and tees and ate in the buffet. In Alaska, I noticed very few people that were not in formal wear.

We were on the Diamond Princess last month and most people did dress up. Most guys were in suits at the late seating. I think Alaska might be more "formal" then the caribbean IMO.

Personally, I don't like to put myself in a position where, if a person is having a bad day, he can turn me away. There are cruise lines and certain ships on cruise line thst don't have formal night. You choose. Checkout the RCL threads on Dynamic Dining. He cruise lines can't win!

• 7 months later...

Wow!! This is more complicated than I thought.

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Crown Princess from Vancouver to Glacier Bay and back next May. This will be followed by a 9 day coach tour in Canada. So far we have been focussing on our shore activities but it now seems we had better think about our wardrobes too.

We will be flying from Australia with a limited baggage allowance and necessarily bulky cold weather clothing so I would not want to pack a suit and ball gown to be worn only twice.

Ashore and aboard during the day I assume we will be fine with our jeans and outdoor jackets and shoes. For regular dining on the ship and in classy restaurants ashore I was going to go with my "smart casual" look of slacks, collared long-sleeve shirt without a tie and a pullover if needed.

So, if we have a formal night on our cruise will I get away with adding a tie and wearing my leather "outdoor" jacket or would we be better off dining elsewhere that night?

Disclaimer: I am not averse to "dressing up" but there are practical limits to my wardrobe and I really do not want to find myself in a "fish out of water" situation:confused:

Lots of strong opinions.

On all cruises my experience is that generally the dress code has become more casual including on princess. DH wears a button down. Sometimes with tie because packing checking bags has become too expensive for suits.

I wear a dressy skirt and top. We look nice and it's dressy for us. I do think shorts are too much and I've seen that in the last year on formal night and it wasn't turned away. :eek:

On Princess, is there any difference between the traditional and anytime dining rooms in terms of the number of people dressing up?

The short answer is no both are formal. However, casual is certainly OK in the Horizon Court and any of the specialty dining venues.

Archived