Baseball caps in the dining room

I like your hat in the picture!:)

LOL Don't worry it's casual attire. :D I leave my hats in the cabin during dinner. I am very much a hat person. I use them for health reasons as well myself actually. As an epileptic, certain lights (fluorescent especially) can cause me to have a seizure. I have even noticed sensitivity to bright sunlight can be problematic. There is a phenomenon some service men and women are reporting called, "flicker.... oh now I forgot it, but it's the effect you would get when light passes through say the rotors of a helicopter or when driving in a car and sunlight seems to flicker through the trees.

People who have never had a seizure are having them. I don't know very much about it, just what I've read when researching my own problem. So although some hats are definitely worn at inappropriate times to solicit some sort of reaction, sometimes is for a health or medical benefit.

Good food for thought before we get all bent out...

Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

I didn't think it would affect me until it happened to me. Formal night. We were dressed to the nines. I was in a black velour pantsuit, my daughter was wearing a long, beaded satin formal. Our tablemates, young parents with 2 pre-pubescent kids, a boy and a girl, came to dinner in lived-in shorts, mickey mouse t-shirts, sneakers and sandals.

We were discomfitured but politely stayed quiet. They were obviously more disconcerted than we were because they kept making excuses: "But we don't like to dress up!" What made it worse was we were 6 people at opposite sides of a table for 10, painfully looking across at each other. It was my daughter's first cruise and she was pissed. I was perplexed that someone would come to dinner on formal night dressed like that and defend it. Yes, it did ruin my daughter's dinner, and I wish I had a way to make it up to her.

Experienced cruiser I am now, I would have immediately gotten up to make a table change, I didn't know I could do that at the time. She was really looking forward to it and I have to tell you this about her. She normally dresses very goth - facial piercings, spiky necklaces, cut off jeans, metal band t-shirts, baggy pants with zillions of zippers from Hot Topic, etc, but she was really looking forward to formal night. She knows if one doesn't want to dress up, one eats in the Windjammer. I wish this was a time they had enforced the dress code in the dining room.

On our HAL cruise in 2006, our first night at dinner (we had requested a large table as usual) we got to the table for 10 to find a young couple, him wearing a ballcap. Not only did I think that was rude, but they had seated themselves at the open end of the long table, forcing everyone to walk past them to get to the other seats. They didn't speak as we walked to the far end of the table. That turned out to be the rudest table of people we've seen in a while. We'll just say we were from a different colored state as most of them and they insisted on talking politics. After dinner and before dessert, we left to request a table for two. I did see several other young men wearing their ball caps in the dining room.

I didn't think it would affect me until it happened to me. Formal night. We were dressed to the nines. I was in a black velour pantsuit, my daughter was wearing a long, beaded satin formal. Our tablemates, young parents with 2 pre-pubescent kids, a boy and a girl, came to dinner in lived-in shorts, mickey mouse t-shirts, sneakers and sandals.

We were discomfitured but politely stayed quiet. They were obviously more disconcerted than we were because they kept making excuses: "But we don't like to dress up!" What made it worse was we were 6 people at opposite sides of a table for 10, painfully looking across at each other. It was my daughter's first cruise and she was pissed. I was perplexed that someone would come to dinner on formal night dressed like that and defend it. Yes, it did ruin my daughter's dinner, and I wish I had a way to make it up to her.

Experienced cruiser I am now, I would have immediately gotten up to make a table change, I didn't know I could do that at the time. She was really looking forward to it and I have to tell you this about her. She normally dresses very goth - facial piercings, spiky necklaces, cut off jeans, metal band t-shirts, baggy pants with zillions of zippers from Hot Topic, etc, but she was really looking forward to formal night. She knows if one doesn't want to dress up, one eats in the Windjammer. I wish this was a time they had enforced the dress code in the dining room.

I'm sorry but I don't get how someone sitting at the table with you but dressed that way makes you 1. "discomfitured" - (never heard of that word) or 2. ruin your dinner? Did it impact on the quality of the food? Were they rude and obnoxious to you personally (ie. telling off-colour jokes)? Why would it piss off your daughter. To me it just sounds snobbish or perhaps jealous that you were not dressed the same way. I can't believe how many people let other people's indirect actions make their lives so miserable. With so much other crap to worry about, we are actually offended by some young couple that spent a significant amount of money to take a vacation and they didn't get dressed up. :p

This past April, while on the Jewel's transatlantic, there was a family that had one boy who was probably about 14 or 15. He would generally wear hats to dinner and they were either baseball caps or silly wool pull-over hats (the kind you wear in the snow). There were very few kids on the cruise so we never did figure who he was trying to impress. but many passengers just snickered at this teen. We noticed that the family was almost always alone (perhaps that was their choice) but I also suspect nobody on the ship wanted anything to do with this small group. Most of the comments we heard had to do with the parents (or lack thereof) rather than the kid, who, we thought looked kind of pathetic.

Hank

I'm sorry but I don't get how someone sitting at the table with you but dressed that way makes you 1. "discomfitured" - (never heard of that word) or 2. ruin your dinner? Did it impact on the quality of the food? Were they rude and obnoxious to you personally (ie. telling off-colour jokes)? Why would it piss off your daughter. To me it just sounds snobbish or perhaps jealous that you were not dressed the same way. I can't believe how many people let other people's indirect actions make their lives so miserable. With so much other crap to worry about, we are actually offended by some young couple that spent a significant amount of money to take a vacation and they didn't get dressed up. :p

dis·com·fi·ture

Pronunciation[dis-kuhm-fi-cher]

–noun

1. disconcertion; confusion; embarrassment.

2. frustration of hopes or plans.

3. Archaic. defeat in battle; rout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1300–50; ME desconfiture < AF: defeat. See discomfit, -ure]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006

DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES. I AM A CANCER SURVIVOR, AND THERE WERE MANY TIMES THAT I WORE A BASEBALL CAP IN A RESTAURANT, ON A CRUISE...IN THE DINING ROOM....AND GOT A LOT OF STARES FROM PEOPLE. YOU PEOPLE CAN SAY "BALD IS BEAUTIFUL" BUT LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU, AND SEE HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS. PEGLEG MADE THE COMMENT IF YOU WENT THROUGH CHEMO AND ARE BALD, WEAR A WIG. THAT IS GREAT, BUT I COULDN'T STAND A WIG FOR MORE THAN 1 HOUR AT A TIME....IF THAT. WIGS CAN BE VERY HOT, ESPECIALLY IN WARM WEATHER, AND I THINK AS A CANCER SURVIVOR, I SHOULD BE CONFORTABLE, AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE. THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN WORRYING ABOUT WHO WEARS A HAT, AND WHO DOESN'T.:mad: ALSO, NOT ONLY DID I HAVE TO SURVIVE CANCER, I HAD TO SURVIVE RUDE REMARKS FROM MANY ADULTS....AND WHEN PEOPLE WERE RUDE I WOULD TELL THEM "I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS, IT WAS GIVEN TO ME"

On formal night you would think someone could at least find a bar of soap.Without reading this thread one should know that some would need to wear a cap for health related reasons but the bunch you where seated with were crass bores .Just be thankful you don't live next to them.Imagine what their yard looks like

My childhood friend has ovarian cancer. She has had to wear baseball caps at different times over the past few years when getting chemo.

The reason that she needs to wear them is that they are the only hat that has a sliding or snapping band in the back, to adjust to the head size.

The chemo sometimes made her so hot, she would not be able to wear a wig at all.

I haven't read anyone's posts here except the one from reapfm, but I can proudly say that I have been raised to "Judge NOT lest ye be judged". I really do enjoy life too much to let anyone's apparel bother me.

Just be thankful you don't live next to them.Imagine what their yard looks like

LOL. My husband is the codes enforcement officer for a city in TN and I'll have to make sure he turns off that mode while we cruise....otherwise he might start handing out citations for bad manners, chair hogs, line cutters, dress code breakers, alcohol smugglers, underage kids in the Solarium.......:D

That's my point.

You all go on and on and on and on about a problem that pretty much don't exist.

My problem is that when I cruise I try and have fun, the last thing I would worry about is someone's ballcap.

As some of you have pointed out I just don't belong out here.

I agree. I think it is a slow day. I have been on 22 cruises and I do not recall anyone wearing a baseball cap to dinner. Now on my recent Dawn Princess cruise, there was a man wearing a bike helmet every night to dinner but I can only surmise that he had a medical condition.

I'm sorry but I don't get how someone sitting at the table with you but dressed that way makes you 1. "discomfitured" - (never heard of that word) or 2. ruin your dinner? Did it impact on the quality of the food? Were they rude and obnoxious to you personally (ie. telling off-colour jokes)? Why would it piss off your daughter.

They were quite aware they had done something wrong (even if you do not), given by the number of times they made excuses and apologies for their dress.

Come on, their clothes were frayed, faded and apparently had been worn all day. I wear stuff like that to clean my pool, not go to dinner and certainly not on formal night.

They were quite aware they had done something wrong (even if you do not), given by the number of times they made excuses and apologies for their dress.

Come on, their clothes were frayed, faded and apparently had been worn all day. I wear stuff like that to clean my pool, not go to dinner and certainly not on formal night.

No where did I say that they did not do something wrong. I agree that they were not properly dressed for dinner. However, I cannot even imagine how their dress ruins someone else's dinner. These are the types of people that are concerned that if a neighbour paints their garage door in polka dots it will impact their house's resale value.

Go on the cruise, dress up as you want (I dress up for formal night so don't think I am one of these cap wearing folk), and enjoy yourself. If someone is not dressed to your satisfaction, roll with it. They are not hurting you.

Have any of the doubters ever read the rules for hat etiquette?

From CQ magazine, the number one mens fashion magazine in the USA

If a restaurant establishment does not have a hat check in, a hat rack, or does not offer an empty chair to place a hat, IT IS OKAY TO WEAR A HAT IN DISGUST! In this civilized world, one should expect civilization.

Unfortunately, the haberdashers are not as numerous as they once were. Fifty years ago every gentlemen wore hats and knew hat etiquette. Fifty years ago a lady wore hats too. If you didn't you weren't a lady or a gentlemen.

My times have changed fashion in fifty years.

It's not up to the hat wearer to find an empty chair, its up to the restaurant to provide the cjhair. IF YOU SEE HATS AND CAPS BEING WORN, ITS THE RESTAURANT'S FAULT! Just as much as a host is supposed to take a hat and place it in a proper place. HOW FEW WOMEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HAT ETIQUETTE!

There are exceptions to wearing a hat indoors. Its okay to walk lobbies, halls, and entering a room or offfice. One does not have to take the hat off until a hat check in, hat rack, or an empty chair becomes available. Even in crowded elevators its okay to wear a hat whether man or woman.

A hat or a cap is considered an accessory for men as much as a purse is for women. Frankly, all of us need to relearn hat etiquette......

With all of the fast food restaurants and diners not having a hat rack available leads to this confusion. Yes, no man should wear a hat indoors, but so few offer a hat rack, a hat check in, or an empty chair, no wonder hat etiquette is a thing of the past.

Have any of the doubters ever read the rules for hat etiquette?

From CQ magazine, the number one mens fashion magazine in the USA

If a restaurant establishment does not have a hat check in, a hat rack, or does not offer an empty chair to place a hat, IT IS OKAY TO WEAR A HAT IN DISGUST! In this civilized world, one should expect civilization.

Unfortunately, the haberdashers are not as numerous as they once were. Fifty years ago every gentlemen wore hats and knew hat etiquette. Fifty years ago a lady wore hats too. If you didn't you weren't a lady or a gentlemen.

My times have changed fashion in fifty years.

It's not up to the hat wearer to find an empty chair, its up to the restaurant to provide the cjhair. IF YOU SEE HATS AND CAPS BEING WORN, ITS THE RESTAURANT'S FAULT! Just as much as a host is supposed to take a hat and place it in a proper place. HOW FEW WOMEN KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HAT ETIQUETTE!

There are exceptions to wearing a hat indoors. Its okay to walk lobbies, halls, and entering a room or offfice. One does not have to take the hat off until a hat check in, hat rack, or an empty chair becomes available. Even in crowded elevators its okay to wear a hat whether man or woman.

A hat or a cap is considered an accessory for men as much as a purse is for women. Frankly, all of us need to relearn hat etiquette......

With all of the fast food restaurants and diners not having a hat rack available leads to this confusion. Yes, no man should wear a hat indoors, but so few offer a hat rack, a hat check in, or an empty chair, no wonder hat etiquette is a thing of the past.

Get a life!!!

But may be this is it "hat etiquette" fashions from 50 years ago. Back in those days women were seen and had no opinions. Is that what you would like.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

As I noted before, no man should wear a hat indoors. Unfortunately, our schools don't enforce hat etiquette, most of us use our coat and hat closets by the front door for a purpose it was not designed and built for. When children wear their caps in fast food restaurants after a game who is at fault? Their parents. Their parents have taught their children proper hat etiquette, nor have their coaches. Why? No one knows hat etiquette as they did fifty years ago. That is why?

Place the blame where it lies, on us.........

There would not be this awful hat etiquette around if hat etiquette had been taught. I think it has much to do with the fast food craze ignoring hat etiquette that started this trend. No halp from the schools. No help from the businesses either. It is as if no one cares, not even the government.

That CQ magazine article dates to 2004, the May issue. Not fifty years ago.

Hat etiquette is a two way street. No hat check ins, no hat racks, no offer of an empty chair, no wonder hat etiquette is a thing of the past.

It sounds lovely! Had it been me, I would have found it fairly annoying as well. There are so many options if you don't want to dress up. Have the meal delivered to your room, or eat at the windjammer. The opportunity to dress to the nines just doesn't happen often.

We haven't encountered any of this boorish behavior on either of our cruises, we've been lucky I guess.

If it DOES happen, it's good to know that we can request a different table.

As I noted before, no man should wear a hat indoors. Unfortunately, our schools don't enforce hat etiquette, most of us use our coat and hat closets by the front door for a purpose it was not designed and built for. When children wear their caps in fast food restaurants after a game who is at fault? Their parents. Their parents have taught their children proper hat etiquette, nor have their coaches. Why? No one knows hat etiquette as they did fifty years ago. That is why?

I totally disagree with this statement. My son will be a junior in high school in the fall, if he were to wear his hat in school, he would get a detention. The same held true at the school he went to for K-8, all hats came off at the door.

I have heard many schools are banning caps, no entrance into the schools whatsoever for gang reasons. Is this the proper way to educate hat and cap etiquette?

The point I was trying to make is that schools don't really teach all the rules of hat etiquette, do they? Schools are enforcing one rule of hat etiquette, not all the rules....

I read in one fashion magazine, I not sure which, that the first President of the US who didn't wear a hat was JFK. The first movie stars who didn't wear a hat was Elvis and James Dean...... the mid-fifties.

During the mid-sixties many of the Western, detectives, lawyers, doctors, abd comedy stars still wore hats. By the seventies few televison stars did. Both my grandfathers would step out of their homes without wearing a hat.

And reflecting back to my first post, they complained about no hat racks at McDonalds and other restaurants at that time......

When the haberdashers in small town across America went bankrupt, and replaced by Walmarts and Kmarts, the hat fashion era almost died, and so did hat etiquette with them.

In my small town I live in, there is no hat check ins, a few hat racks, and no service from hostesses in any restaurant for an empty chair. The only restaurants with a hat rack are one local diner and one local bbq restaurant. The national chain diners don't. All of the barber shops have hat racks, and the local courthouse. The one western wear clothing store also has a hat rack/ There may be something else, but I have not seen a hat rack anywhere else.

You want hat etiquette. Start teaching everyone you meet. Complaining at this website won't turn the situation around.

EVERY BUSINESS WHERE IT IS IMAPPROPIATE TO WEAR A HAT SHOULD HAVE A PLACE TO STORE A HAT. Otherwise what is the point..... Everyone has a right to wear a hat outdoors with a few exceptions.

On one of my friend's cruises his wife convinced him to wear morning wear with white tie and top hat. After having photos taken on the lido deck they went to the dining room. There were no hat check in, no hat rack, and yes no offer of an empty chair, he had to wear a top hat in disgust while eating. He refused to place a hat on the floor, as much as any woman would refuse to place their purse on the floor.

So this cruise lines dining rooms was not a five star restaurant, it was no better than a fast food mass produced restaurant. An empty chair to place the top hat was never produced by the Maidre D,. waitresses, or hostess. He even complained to the Maidre D. It appears they didn't have any extra chairs to provide a place for the top hat.

That is the way he felt. Since I wear a fedora almost every day, I understand this lack of civilized service every where. While I understand caps are not as formal as top hats, if a restaurant won't provide for an expensive top hat, I fully expect to be completely ignored wearing a fedora, much less a cap.

As I said before, its up to the restaurant to handle the hat or cap, not the hat wearer. While you are complaining about caps, what about top hat and fedora wearers? IN MY MIND THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Legally a cap is a hat. Maybe not in your eyes, but we hat wearers run across this lack of hat etiquette every where.

Archived