Baseball caps in the dining room

I do think there could be a balance struck here. There is really no need for hat racks (well perhaps a few would be good) because hats are not as fashionable as you mentioned they were before. I can't imagine welcoming a finely dressed man, and asking if you could take his *baseball cap*. LOL

Women do in fact put our purses on the floor at times, although I'm not sure I would like my hat on the floor! In the event of a top hat in a fine dinning room, it should have been properly taken care of by the staff. But since that demonstration is few and far between these days, that's not really what we (most of us I think) are talking about.

And we are not talking about someone who chooses/needs to wear a cap for medical and personal reasons, but for the person who simply snubs their nose at the dress code, and doesn't care what he/she looks like during this dinning experience that some of us enjoy on a cruise.

Have any of the doubters ever read the rules for hat etiquette?

From CQ magazine, the number one mens fashion magazine in the USA

If a restaurant establishment does not have a hat check in, a hat rack, or does not offer an empty chair to place a hat, IT IS OKAY TO WEAR A HAT IN DISGUST! In this civilized world, one should expect civilization.

Now I'm discomfitured! :eek:

Any Lambchop (the puppet) fans out there?

Sing it with me.. you all know the tune..

This is the thread that never ends

It just goes on and on my friends.

Some people started posting here,

Not knowing what it was

And know they keep on posting

Forever, just because

Some people started.... You get the picture. :rolleyes:

Any Lambchop (the puppet) fans out there?

Sing it with me.. you all know the tune..

Some people started posting here,

Not knowing what it was

And know they keep on posting

Forever, just because

Some people started.... You get the picture. :rolleyes:

This was too funny!! New rule.....we all copy this, and when anyone thinks a thread has run its course, we paste it. Anyone that posts on the thread after seeing this does not get to cruise for a whole year.

This was too funny!! New rule.....we all copy this, and when anyone thinks a thread has run its course, we paste it. Anyone that posts on the thread after seeing this does not get to cruise for a whole year.

No cruise for you!! Back of the line!!

Shoot, I guess no cruise for me now either :(

I agree that they were not properly dressed for dinner. However, I cannot even imagine how their dress ruins someone else's dinner.

If someone is not dressed to your satisfaction, roll with it. They are not hurting you.

So you're saying because you feel a certain way, I should feel the same way too? I'm not saying the way you feel is wrong, I'm saying this is how we felt when it happened to us. My daughter was irritated, therefore she was impacted by it.

These are the types of people that are concerned that if a neighbour paints their garage door in polka dots it will impact their house's resale value.

Well it does. But this has nothing to do with people showing up dressed like slobs on formal night (I would say it was a straw man argument, but I'm afraid you'll come back and ask me what a straw man is). This is more like someone showing up for your daughter's wedding dressed like they had just mowed the lawn. If your daughter expresses unhappiness, would you tell her to just "roll with it"?

I just have to say my mother would never let anyone come to the table with a hat on....it showed respect she said...I would never allow my husband or son come with one on.....I would even yell at my son inlaws when I have them some day..well hope someday...lol

This is more like someone showing up for your daughter's wedding dressed like they had just mowed the lawn. If your daughter expresses unhappiness, would you tell her to just "roll with it"?

So now we are comparing a 2 hour formal dinner to one of the most important days in someone's life? Bit of a stretch don't you think.

But to use your analogy, then yes, I would tell my daughter to roll with it. Because if she lets one of the most beautiful and happiest days of her life be ruined by how a few people are dressed, then I would say she is losing track of what is truly important.

I am not saying that you or your daughter did have the right to be disappointed that these indivuduals did not follow the spirit of what that night is supposed to be, and that it perhaps wasn't as special a night as it could have been, but to say that it completely ruined your dinner...well, I guess we just have different priorities on what makes a special evening.

I am not saying that you or your daughter did have the right to be disappointed that these indivuduals did not follow the spirit of what that night is supposed to be, and that it perhaps wasn't as special a night as it could have been,

So you are agreeing that a damper was put on our dinner. That's all I've been trying to say.

This was too funny!! New rule.....we all copy this, and when anyone thinks a thread has run its course, we paste it.

But hey. I've learned a lot about haberdashery etiquette! Some people have expanded their vocabulary! I don't think this thread needs to be written off as an entire loss. :p :rolleyes:

So you are agreeing that a damper was put on our dinner. That's all I've been trying to say.

Sure, I can completely understand you or your daughter saying that a damper was put on your dinner. But to me, that is a far cry from saying that these specific individuals completely ruined your dinner because of how they were dressed.

But hey, that is just me. Like I said before, different people have different ideas of what they expect and what they rank as important to make an evening special.

Who is right and who is wrong... I think we may find out by the time we hit post #9843 of this thread! ;) :D

Sure, I can completely understand you or your daughter saying that a damper was put on your dinner. But to me, that is a far cry from saying that these specific individuals completely ruined your dinner because of how they were dressed.

It was less than optimal. It was strained. It fell below expectations. There were other things going on such as the way these people were acting. I apologize for my poor choice in wording in describing our experience. I do know my daughter was unhappy about it. While I wasn't as unhappy as she (I'm a bit more tolerant), I still felt what they did was inappropriate, made worse by their protestations.

OTOH, even tho I have had less than great encounters on cruises, overall my cruising experiences have been positive (or perhaps I like to balance out the bad with the good).

RCI says NO HATS IN THE DINING ROOM.

It is their dining room. They make the rules.

Therefore, it IS WRONG to wear hats in the dining room.

Okay, maybe this thread will slowly die, but here it is pasted directly from the RCI web site......

Dress Suggestion

During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights; all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights.

All other nights are casual.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.

You will note, the section begins.... DRESS SUGGESTION

Then we get SUGGESTED GUIDELINES

The last section detail what is NOT ALLOWED.

No where in this entire section do I see a reference to HATS. For the unfortunite goth daughter, the red neck family should not have been given admittance to dinner if they were wearing shorts (clean/dirty/otherwise).

However, in this referenced section, the word SUGGESTED is used.

suggest (MENTION)

verb [T]

to mention an idea, possible plan or action for other people to consider:

I don't see any references to RULES.

Okay, maybe this thread will slowly die, but here it is pasted directly from the RCI web site......

Dress Suggestion

During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

7-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four casual nights.

10, 11, and 12-night cruises include three formal nights and three smart casual nights; all other nights are casual.

14 and 15-night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights.

All other nights are casual.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.

You will note, the section begins.... DRESS SUGGESTION

Then we get SUGGESTED GUIDELINES

The last section detail what is NOT ALLOWED.

No where in this entire section do I see a reference to HATS. For the unfortunite goth daughter, the red neck family should not have been given admittance to dinner if they were wearing shorts (clean/dirty/otherwise).

However, in this referenced section, the word SUGGESTED is used.

suggest (MENTION)

verb [T]

to mention an idea, possible plan or action for other people to consider:

I don't see any references to RULES.

And I don't see the word SUGGESTED posted in the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000HPZhX-rItqMSt5oky9AUhXz:10ktdmqkf

And the reference to NO HATS is posted outside the dining room.

Camera. Sunscreen. Swimsuit. Okay, now that we've got the basics out of the way, here are a few must-have cruise items that'll help make your vacation more comfortable, enjoyable and memorable.

On the first day...

For the first day of your cruise, pack a small carry-on bag with your travel documents, a change of clothes, bathing suit, workout clothes, and any medications you may need. That way you don't have to wait for your checked bags to arrive in your stateroom.

Onboard attire...

Shorts, t-shirts, slacks, trousers, casual skirts, blouses and sundresses are all perfect during the day, whether indoors or out.

For lounging by the pool, pack two bathing suits (an extra suit in case the other is wet) and a pair of casual shoes (e.g., flip-flops, sandals, sneakers). You'll also need some casual shorts and a couple of t-shirts or a cover-up for getting to and from the pool areas.

If you're planning to visit our onboard fitness center, be sure to bring extra shorts, t-shirts and socks that you won't mind working out in - plus a pair of tennis or running shoes/sneakers.

Dinner attire...

Meals in the main dining room follow this schedule: 3-, 4- and 5-night cruises: one formal night; the remainder of nights are casual

6-, 7- and 9-night cruises: two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

10- to 13-night cruises: two formal nights, two smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

14+-night cruises: three formal nights, four smart casual and the remainder of nights casual

For formal nights you'll need cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties - or tuxedos - for men. And for the smart casual nights bring dresses or pantsuit for women, jackets for men.

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

We also offer tuxedo rentals for formal dinners and special occasions.

For the unfortunite goth daughter, the red neck family should not have been given admittance to dinner if they were wearing shorts (clean/dirty/otherwise).

Thanks to all who have posted so far; this thread has been extremely helpful.

One more question; do they have Goth nights on all 7 Night cruises, or only 14 night and longer?

And I don't see the word SUGGESTED posted in the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000HPZhX-rItqMSt5oky9AUhXz:10ktdmqkf

And the reference to NO HATS is posted outside the dining room.

Have your been on a real cruise?

Or do you just read the RCI site and judge people:D

Why does there have to be a "rule" for exhibiting courtesy, etiquette, proper manners or common sense?

It's like Gore saying since there was no governing authority, I took the bribe money. There was no "rule" against it.

Stupid statement on TV today: "Don't throw fireworks on the beach where there are nesting birds". Do we really have to tell someone what is obvious and make a "rule"? What a bunch of morons around us.

Defending poor taste always amazes me. It reminds me when I caught my then 13 yo son with x-rated rap music that was truly distasteful.

I picked him up from baseball practice and handed it to him, saying "let's chat".

He went on and on about different tastes in music, and people have rights to be different, and he didn't see what was so wrong with it, while I listened quietly.

Then I said, "Son, if you are walking down the street and see a pile of dog poop on the sidewalk, you can admire the color, the size, the texture, the unique swirl, but it's still a pile of dog poop. It's distasteful, disgusting, and in the wrong place."

Now, baseball caps in the dining room (ANY dining room) certainly isn't as bad, but you get my point, I think....;)

Perhaps we should have a "rule" about what is acceptable to be printed on the ballcap?

OK:

Cruiseline logo

Any reference to the armed services

Only the logo of team that won the last Superbowl, World Series, Stanley Cup

College national champs, ie., Florida Gators

Starbucks (hey I'm with it)

NO GO:

Competing cruiseline

Liquor

Cigarettes

Poker website

Any "stupid" I'm retired saying

I'd rather be fishing

Designer, ie., Nike, Hilfinger, etc.

Company logo

Bulldozer, farm tractor, guns, hunting

Perhaps we should have a "rule" about what is acceptable to be printed on the ballcap?

OK:

Cruiseline logo

Any reference to the armed services

Only the logo of team that won the last Superbowl, World Series, Stanley Cup

College national champs, ie., Florida Gators

Starbucks (hey I'm with it)

NO GO:

Competing cruiseline

Liquor

Cigarettes

Poker website

Any "stupid" I'm retired saying

I'd rather be fishing

Designer, ie., Nike, Hilfinger, etc.

Company logo

Bulldozer, farm tractor, guns, hunting

No....Just keep the rule of NO CAPS, then there will not be any BORDERLINE EXCEPTIONS.

Archived