Baseball caps in the dining room

Some people just don't know any better (ignorent (yes I know how to spell it), and some are just arrogant -they think that they are so very special. You meet all kinds on a cruise. These people are just embarassing themselves. Wish the cruiselines would do more enforcing of their own guidelines....in many areas as a matter of fact.

Being inappropriately attired (compared to the majority of diners around you) is synonymous with the general lack of respect people have for one another these days, which is very sad

You would not turn up to a wedding dressed in shorts and baseball cap, or attend a funeral in similar fashion, because that would be direspectful to the families, and you would not get past the door at the opera house or restaurant or theatre likewise dressed, yet it is deemed perfectly acceptable these days to arrive at a dining room on formal night wearing the same clothes you would wear on deck

I find formal dining a bit awkward, a/ because I do not cruise frequently and am therefore a bit uneasy with the whole thing and b/ because I always think I should have chosen something different when I see all the other ladies!

However, as it is part of the ritual of formal dining on cruise ships I stick with it (to some degree) and, I must say that after the first few minutes I relax and feel fine. In the 'old days' of cruising you had no choice, you either dressed up for dinner or you didn't eat in the dining room, because you would have been turned away, but nowadays, cruise ships take into account that not everyone wants to dress up to eat, and so they have provided much more choice of venues. You would think that these eating places would keep those people adverse to formal attire quite happy, especially as the food elsewhere is said to be just as good, yet they seem to insist on going to the dining room dressed inappropriately as if to make a point: Look at me, I'm here and I'm not dressed to the nines, like you, and there's nothing you can do about it!

Formal dining is not to everyone's taste (excuse the pun), I know, but surely for a couple of nights people can make an effort to at least look halfway decent? We spent a fortune on clothes for the family for our QM2 cruise a few years ago, and all of the outfits have stayed in the wardrobe every since, which is a waste of money, so this year I will be wearing the same gowns, and my husband will take the same suit, but we have not gone overboard (another pun!) on our son this time, and he will just wear a white shirt, school trousers and a bow tie, rather than a waistcoat and dress shirt like before.

It's a compromise, but one I think will still present us all in a good light.

My father was of the old school, he would doff his hat to ladies he passed in the street, open doors for them and remove his hat when in church. He and mum also taught us table manners, so we could represent ourselves and our family well when we dined outside the home.

My own children have grown up in a different generation, they eat far too many meals in front of the TV, and say things that I would never have got away with when I was a child. Yet, they know how to behave when we go out and my youngest, who's nearly 13, is reminded very quickly if he forgets his manners.

Unfortunately, too many parents these days have lost the art of good manners themselves and so have been unable to pass them on to their own offspring.

People need certain rules and regulations and standards, because if we all did as we pleased society would break down very quickly. Dressing up for dinner on a cruise ship is not compulsory, but it would show respect for fellow diners who choose to enjoy a touch of those halcyon cruising days of a bygone era.

The wearing of any type of hat in a restaurant is of utmost disrespectful and having two Marines in my family...hubby and son...they would be verbal about it.

I have two younger boys and they both know not to ever wear a hat indoors. This is just simply....NCAA no class at all....

If I was at the door, they would be told to remove them or eat outdoors.

Esmerelda

There was a similar thread a while back that I posted on regarding on wearing hats in the dining room. My son has alopecia areata and will be wearing a hat in the dining room(we will speak to the maitre'd prior to dinner) for his own comfort on our upcoming cruise. The general consensus from many posters was that if it was a medical condition, then it would be okay to wear the hat. So, what I want to know is how would someone like your hubby or son know the difference?

I think it should be up to the staff of the cruise line to enforce their own rules. Not passengers.

KerriL, I think that if your son was appropriately dressed, other than the hat, then it would be obvious to other diners that he was wearing it for a reason

when it's worn with shorts and tank top it's a different matter

So, yes it should not be done, but if I see someone eating in the dining room with a baseball cap on, will it really bother me or get on my nerves? Not really.....unless, of course, it's a Red Sox cap!:eek:

Funny, I feel the same about Yankee hats. :p

I'm a huge baseball fan, but there is no need to wear your hat at the table.

KerriL, I think that if your son was appropriately dressed, other than the hat, then it would be obvious to other diners that he was wearing it for a reason

when it's worn with shorts and tank top it's a different matter

I would hope so. I would never have the gall to say something to someone wearing one regardless.

Since the Caribbean could be considered the "Deep South", I think NASCAR hats would be allowed.yikes.gif

LMBO !!!!

Gosh, I think I will wear a hat, some ratty jeans, my flip flops, a too tight t-shirt, and some platform stripper shoes in the dining room just to SEE the look on the faces of some of y'all.

For the record, I always dress appropriately on a cruise. I am a rules follower. But honestly, before I started reading these boards, I never even realized how judgemental some people on cruises could be about something as silly as clothing. I had no idea how harsh people could be in their opinions while cruising.

There was a similar thread a while back that I posted on regarding on wearing hats in the dining room. My son has alopecia areata and will be wearing a hat in the dining room(we will speak to the maitre'd prior to dinner) for his own comfort on our upcoming cruise. The general consensus from many posters was that if it was a medical condition, then it would be okay to wear the hat. So, what I want to know is how would someone like your hubby or son know the difference?

I think it should be up to the staff of the cruise line to enforce their own rules. Not passengers.

I think part of this issue here, is "will he wear a ratty looking 'John Deere' hat?"

My BIL has alopecia and will also be wearing a cap at dinner on our cruise. I have been witness to times in the past that people have said ignorant things to him about his illness-when he had his hat OFF. So, I am all for him wearing his cap during meals. He always follows the rest of the dress code to a T.

I think part of this issue here, is "will he wear a ratty looking 'John Deere' hat?"[/quote

No, probably not. Red Sox and NY Giants and the assorted Pac Sun brand names.

Since the alopecia, I never realized that you could spend upwards of 30 bucks on a baseball cap:rolleyes:

We went out to dinner last night, 2 different men, yes men, not boys, wore hats. Its rude, I too believe that some never were taught that hats are not to be worn indoors. Church! That is just disrespectful. :(

Its a shame they don't enforce "no hats in the DR"

I have one almost as bad as hats in church: I attended a large high school graduation last week, and several young men wore their hats WHILE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM WAS PLAYED! As you said, this is just disrespectful.

I chaperoned the prom a few weeks ago, and I was shocked to see that some young men wore white tuxedos with white baseball caps -- and they wore the caps inside during the prom! The hats were all solid white and slightly large for their heads. Some of them even wore their hats for their pictures; I don't know why their dates (who were wearing lovely dresses, and who had spent money on professional hair, tanning, make-up, and nails) didn't object to having a picture made with a date in a baseball cap. They looked like fools.

When I went to a baseball game a few weeks ago, I was surprised to hear the announcer say, "Please stand and remove your hats for the National Anthem." It's a sad state of affairs when people have to be told to do this.

I know it's a generational style thing, but it is incredibly disrespectful during the National Anthem.

So until someone can come up with a good valid reason not to wear my cap I will continue to do so and should not be criticized for doing so.

Just my honest 2 cents

Why do we open doors for people, say thank you to people who are paid to provide services, wear shirts and shoes in public places, step out of the room to blow our noses, pick up things that people drop, etc.? No one requries us to do these things, but they are considered polite in our society. Following the rules of polite society is plenty of reason NOT to wear a baseball cap to meals. That IS a good, valid reason.

Historically, men's hats have been a practical item, not necessarily a fashion accessory. In the past, they were more important than they are today because people worked outside more often and walked to more places -- the hat was a protection against sun in the eyes (and I'm talking about back before sunglasses were widely available) and a welcome addition to a warm coat in the winter. At that point in history, every man would've owned several hats (not baseball caps) to wear to church, to work in an office, or to social events. Baseball caps at that point would've been considered a dress-down item, something to be worn with jeans while working in the yard, not something to be worn in polite company.

In the 1960s -- a timeperiod in which many of society's mores were questioned -- men stopped wearing hats for practical reasons. In part, this was because much of the practicality disappeared; more people worked indoors, and most people drove cars instead of walking from place to place. John F. Kennedy was one of the first famous men to appear in public bare-headed, and essentially he started the trend towards the disappearance of "real" hats. At that point, hats of all types (except for outdoor workers) pretty much disappeared from the fashion scene.

At all times in European and American history, men have removed their hats INDOORS for two reasons: 1) hats serve no practical purpose indoors and 2) it's always been considered respectful when entering an indoor space.

Today hats have become a fashion accessory for young men, and they have missed out on the historical idea that it is disrespectful to wear them indoors.

Women's hats, however, have been seen differently throughout history. When women's hats were a real accessory, a part of an outfit, it was considered acceptable for a woman to wear a small hat as a portion of an outfit -- partly because these hats required time to pin into place. Another reason many women wore hats "back in the day" was that they only washed their hair every 3-4 weeks, and they didn't have modern curling irons, hair spray, etc. -- a hat was a way of dressing up (or hiding) dull, basic hair. Today women don't often wear hats as a part of an outfit; and women wearing baseball caps are subject to the same rules as menfolk -- never indoors.

Discriminatory? Yeah, but so are other fashion rules: Why do men wear jackets for formal wear while women in the same room are wearing strapless gowns? Why can women choose from pants, skirts, or dresses, while men -- with the exception of a few Highlanders -- have been restricted to pants?

Since the Caribbean could be considered the "Deep South", I think NASCAR hats would be allowed.yikes.gif

Sorry, but FL is not considered the south as so many northerners have moved here!!:D Ooops sorry!:eek:

Being born and raised in Tampa, baseball hats are never considered appropriate in a dining room and definitely not at Bucs games during the national anthem! I always wear a bb hat because of the sun/heat at the games and always take it off for the national anthem/fly over. Respect people!!!! Respect!!!

Go Bucs!!:) August 10th is the first game!!!!:D I can't wait..... could ya tell???

I see no problems wearing a baseball cap in the dining room. I am a 37 year old gentleman. Baseball caps are very fashionable along with jeans now in the 2007. Get with the times people! What difference does it make if I wear a hat? Its another article of clothing. Why don't you all worry about chewing with your mouth open, or talking with your mouth full, or eating before others, or not saying please and thank you at the table. I was asked to remove my hat on the Liberty and didn't. I'm not holy or religious and see nothing wrong with wearing a head accessory. Too bad! My cruise and I'll dress what makes me feel comfortable!

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

Thanks for your opinions.

Yes I've seen it. I saw it a few weeks ago on an Alaskan cruise on the very first night.

I would ignore it, even if someone else brought it up.

No I wouldn't leave the table. My dining experience does not revolve around someone else's attire.

I see no problems wearing a baseball cap in the dining room. I am a 37 year old gentleman. Baseball caps are very fashionable along with jeans now in the 2007. Get with the times people! What difference does it make if I wear a hat? Its another article of clothing. Why don't you all worry about chewing with your mouth open, or talking with your mouth full, or eating before others, or not saying please and thank you at the table. I was asked to remove my hat on the Liberty and didn't. I'm not holy or religious and see nothing wrong with wearing a head accessory. Too bad! My cruise and I'll dress what makes me feel comfortable!

I personally like to talk with my mouth full, eat my food before others are served, and chew with my mouth open. Too bad, my cruise and I'll eat however I feel comfortable! :rolleyes: :D

I'm 29 years old and most definitely with the times. I don't care if your hat is fashionable or not, wearing hats at the table (barring medical issues or religious reasons) is just as rude as chewing your cud at the dinner table. Apparently it's fashionable these days to let your thong panties hang out the back of your low rider jeans and let your bra show more than the shirt that is supposed to cover it. It doesn't mean it's appropriate wear for sitting at the dinner table.

My son used to have your 'my way, tough crap to you' attitude about the etiquette of hats at the table. He tried pushing his luck with me once last year. He sat across from me wearing his Cubs baseball cap and gave me that "Go ahead, what you gonna say?" look. I didn't say a word. I took it off his head, slapped him across the side of his head with it, and plopped it into his plate of spaghetti. Needless to say, lesson learned.

Just for the record....it's not a "Southern" thing. The only thing Southern about me is the direction gravity is shifting my body! lol I'm in the Midwest. :D

LMBO !!!!

Gosh, I think I will wear a hat, some ratty jeans, my flip flops, a too tight t-shirt, and some platform stripper shoes in the dining room just to SEE the look on the faces of some of y'all.

For the record, I always dress appropriately on a cruise. I am a rules follower. But honestly, before I started reading these boards, I never even realized how judgemental some people on cruises could be about something as silly as clothing. I had no idea how harsh people could be in their opinions while cruising.

But I have never run into any of the judgemental types you see all over the boards when I get on the ship. The whole "dress code" thing is not a big deal to the 99+% of the people who cruise but never post out here.

Good thing they spend more time posting then cruising:)

You are certainly No Gentleman if you wear you hat at the table when eating.

Christine

The rules state they are not allowed. Why do people have to be told by a member of the crew they can't do it? I just don't get why grown adults can't read a sign and follow the rules. It makes no sense to me to have big brother have to follow us around.

Archived