Baseball caps in the dining room

A quick check with wikipedia confirms that manners is a behavior issue. I agree that how we dress would be an etiquette issue but this still does not explain how a person wearing a ball cap would ruin your cruise. Life is too short for me to worry about what somebody else is wearing.

i agree with you. i don't care what someone else is wearing.

unfortunately the wearing of ball caps and pants down below our crotches has become a pervasive society norm,if you will.

i doubt that most posters make this much of a fuss about the cap if the people eating near them at denny's are wearing one , or ask someone to remove it.

i just watched the local news tonight, and my US Senator was on TV wearing a ball cap. my how undignified he looked. would it keep me from shaking his hand or voting for him? no. do i like it ?no. will it impact my life? no.

it's just the societal norm that all of us have allowed to invade our lives every day on land. yet on the high seas, people still think they are on Aaron Spellings( i think) "the love boat"

just my 0.02

Thank you for the quote. I don't know if I had read that before.

It did make me think of something though - how many of the people on the boards who get bent out of shape about someone wearing the wrong clothes to dinner smuggle alcohol onto the ship. Isn't breaking the rules - breaking the rules?

One more thought, since the rules do not specifically say you can not wear jeans, but does specifically state other items, how can everyone be so upset about jeans? I don't plan on wearing them to the dining room, but I am curious.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. There are some people that feel ok about breaking rules if no one sees them doing it...i.e. smuggling alcohol in their luggage. But if they see someone else breaking a rule, they are quick to point it out. Let those with no sins cast the first stones..... :cool:

I think you just hit the nail on the head. There are some people that feel ok about breaking rules if no one sees them doing it...i.e. smuggling alcohol in their luggage. But if they see someone else breaking a rule, they are quick to point it out. Let those with no sins cast the first stones..... :cool:

There is a fundamental difference between rules concerning safety, rules used to protect the profits of the cruise line and rules of polite society ("manners" in other word/s) and I am pretty sure everyone who reads and writes in these boards knows the difference.

My parents taught me not to wear a hat at dinner AND not to pick my nose in public. Would you like to be eating at a table where one of your table mates was picking their nose while you ate?

When people practice good manners around others it makes things a little nicer for everyone. Whether you choose to follow the rules of polite society is your business but please do not justify your not following those rules by pointing out how others are breaking other rules.

Beside manners, my parents also taught me "Two wrongs dont make a right" (although I believe three lefts do).

As always, this is just my opinion and you are free to disagree, being that we live in a free society......oh, there is that pesky word again, "society".

There is a fundamental difference between rules concerning safety, rules used to protect the profits of the cruise line and rules of polite society ("manners" in other word/s) and I am pretty sure everyone who reads and writes in these boards knows the difference.

My parents taught me not to wear a hat at dinner AND not to pick my nose in public. Would you like to be eating at a table where one of your table mates was picking their nose while you ate?

When people practice good manners around others it makes things a little nicer for everyone. Whether you choose to follow the rules of polite society is your business but please do not justify your not following those rules by pointing out how others are breaking other rules.

Beside manners, my parents also taught me "Two wrongs dont make a right" (although I believe three lefts do).

As always, this is just my opinion and you are free to disagree, being that we live in a free society......oh, there is that pesky word again, "society".

Very nicely said. Good manners show respect for the people around you and make others feel good. What can be wrong with that?

I would love to cruise and share a dinner table with you!

Cousin Eddie was not sophisticated, but he was polite. My sister has alopecia, a hat would not cover up enough of the missing hair. A wig is necessary. A man dosent need a hat for this medical problem.

Well, my son will be wearing a hat. He is 18, whether or not he is considered a "man" yet is debatable. The hat does not completely cover his head either, but he is less self-conscious with the hat. We can't do much about the loss of his eyelashes or brows though.

So, God help anybody who feels as though they need to point out the dress code to him. They will have to deal with me:p

Hats,

I wear a baseball hat all day everyday. If I go into the mall, you bet I have my hat on. If I eat at a fast-food place, again, hat is on. If I visit a hospital, hat will be on. But, when I am eating in the dining room on a ship or at an upscale restaurant, you bet the hat will be off.

Unfortunately for some, what is acceptable today was probably not acceptable back in the day. Times change. If not we would still see people wearing Crinolines, Bustles and top hats. I do not feel as though wearing a hat indoors deems one as being ill-mannered. Back in the day, but certainly not in today’s world. Whether or not that is a good change is obviously a personal feeling.

• 3 weeks later...
I see no problems wearing a baseball cap in the dining room. I am a 37 year old gentleman. Baseball caps are very fashionable along with jeans now in the 2007. Get with the times people! What difference does it make if I wear a hat? Its another article of clothing. Why don't you all worry about chewing with your mouth open, or talking with your mouth full, or eating before others, or not saying please and thank you at the table. I was asked to remove my hat on the Liberty and didn't. I'm not holy or religious and see nothing wrong with wearing a head accessory. Too bad! My cruise and I'll dress what makes me feel comfortable!

Ball caps do not belong in the dining room period. Maybe you should move back to your favorite cruise line where wearing a baseball cap is considered formalwear along with cut off jeans and flip flops.:rolleyes:

I did see hats in the dining room and Windjammer ( many of them ) but never in the dining room in the evening. Do I care or would I leave my table if someone wore a hat? No, I'm not going to tell anyone what to wear as I feel that's up to RCCL. If they allow it, people will wear it. :)

Exactly, I was taught to yes Mam or Sir or excuse me if you passed in front of somebody or hold a door open for a lady. I would not wear a hat in the dining room unless I thought I could piss off some of these high and mighty people who think they are to good to dine with some country bumpkin like me. You know this is going to be our first RCI cruise and I wonder if we made a mistake. I hope all the people we meet won't be so high and mighty and look down on people because they don't live up to their standards. I don't mean to come across as a jerk but my blood pressure go's up on some of these post of people that want to act like they are so much better than everybody else.

Steve, you did not make a mistake. Once you board the ship you will see all kinds of clothes everywhere and everyone is just happy to be on the ship and no one cares what anyone is wearing. Some people have strong opinions about dress on a cruise on the board but you would never know it on the ship so don't worry about it. :) You'll have a great cruise and when you return you can report about what you really did see onboard! RCCL is all about a fun, happy, relaxed atmosphere and thats what you'll find when you're on the ship:)

Exactly, I was taught to yes Mam or Sir or excuse me if you passed in front of somebody or hold a door open for a lady. I would not wear a hat in the dining room unless I thought I could piss off some of these high and mighty people who think they are to good to dine with some country bumpkin like me. You know this is going to be our first RCI cruise and I wonder if we made a mistake. I hope all the people we meet won't be so high and mighty and look down on people because they don't live up to their standards. I don't mean to come across as a jerk but my blood pressure go's up on some of these post of people that want to act like they are so much better than everybody else.

Steve, you did not make a mistake. Once you board the ship you will see all kinds of clothes everywhere and everyone is just happy to be on the ship and no one cares what anyone is wearing. Some people have strong opinions about dress on a cruise on the board but you would never know it on the ship so don't worry about it. :) You'll have a great cruise and when you return you can report about what you really did see onboard! RCCL is all about a fun, happy, relaxed atmosphere and thats what you'll find when you're on the ship:)

I agree, and if the person doesn't know, then it's a matter of explaining it to them.

We did have this at the table for two next to us on the Monarch last December. The first time he did this, his gf got him to take it off and put it on the table. The second time he kept it on AND TURNED IT BACKWARDS....double euwwww.

I think it's an age thing: I have to remind both my sons (25 and 30) to take their hats off in restaurants with me, and that's NOT the way they were taught manners from me, but that's what they picked up "post-Mom". They take them off for me, but I'm sure they wear them elsewhere.

That's another good point, you never put a hat on a table either. We learned our manners at home and they were reinforced in school and church while growing up. If I see someone in jeans, wearing a hat, shorts or any other clothing item that's inappropriate in the dining room I figure they were raised differently than I was, maybe they grew up in an orphanage.

That's another good point, you never put a hat on a table either. We learned our manners at home and they were reinforced in school and church while growing up. If I see someone in jeans, wearing a hat, shorts or any other clothing item that's inappropriate in the dining room I figure they were raised differently than I was, maybe they grew up in an orphanage.

Probably not. :eek: I think most orphanages do a much better job of raising children than many parents do. But I do get your point. :)

You're right, sorry for any offense to orphanages. :D

Eek! Can't agree. I'm in the foster parent system. Full house right now, but we keep our homestudy up to date, for the time when we either hit the lotto and get a bigger house, or someone moves off to college. I am just appalled by some of the things I've seen out there. Some foster parents and orphanages are outstanding. Just like some parents are. Some are, well I wouldn't stay there on a bet. :cool:

You're right, sorry for any offense to orphanages. :D

I was just thinking along the lines of Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's, who was an orphan and apparently a really good guy. Or the foster homes operated by Truett Cathy, founder and owner of Chick-fil-a - which are wonderful places to grow up for those who are the "adopted" grandchildren of Mr. Cathy - a remarkable man.

As Nliedel said, some can be horrible places...but that's true of any home, by birth or otherwise. I guess hats in the dining room are the least of our worries. :eek: ;)

I think the issue with hats and other very casual attire is that the wearer is making a statement in most cases.

On the last cruise I was on, the cap I saw was on formal night. At the table next to us, a fellow around 25 on his honeymoon wore a nice suit with a cap on backwards. All other nights he dressed within the dress suggestions. So I am left thinking he was making a "fashion" statement???

Others I think are just making an anti-establihment statement. Being anti-establishment is as old as "establishments". Nothing new and exciting there.

And is a few cases there probably is a medical need.

So I try to just be oblivious of the statements and enjoy my dinner. I would not ask someone to ever change their attire. Some attire would make me avoid the person but only in very extreme cases.

My opinon, since you asked.

I think the issue with hats and other very casual attire is that the wearer is making a statement in most cases.

On the last cruise I was on, the cap I saw was on formal night. At the table next to us, a fellow around 25 on his honeymoon wore a nice suit with a cap on backwards. All other nights he dressed within the dress suggestions. So I am left thinking he was making a "fashion" statement???

Others I think are just making an anti-establihment statement. Being anti-establishment is as old as "establishments". Nothing new and exciting there.

And is a few cases there probably is a medical need.

So I try to just be oblivious of the statements and enjoy my dinner. I would not ask someone to ever change their attire. Some attire would make me avoid the person but only in very extreme cases.

My opinon, since you asked.

Nicely said!

Archived