Baseball caps in the dining room

OMG Here we go , why does it bother people or affect your cruise experiece on what other people wear. As a cancer survivor, how do you know they are not wearing a hat because they have lost their hair because of Chemo. I realize the people you are talking about probably do not have cancer, but really who the hell cares. Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

Personally, I could care less how other people dress or present themselves on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter. As long as they are not offensive or rude to anyone else personally, who cares. Some people need to get a grip - it's a vacation, they are not hurting you.

Having said that, I grew up with certain manners and values and pass those vales along to my children. As such, when I or my son enter a building, we remove our hats. I do it for myself, not for anyone else.

So, if you see me in the dining room, I will not have a hat on but the guy the next table over might and I don't care.

Now if my mom sees you out in a resturant with a cap/hat on, she does not care if she knows you or not, she will walk up and point it out asking you to remove it while inside, all very quietly and discreetly, without making a huge scene. I have yet to see any man/boy of any age not take off the hat/cap for her... LOL

It is a respect thing really.

No offence to you or your mum, and I have already indicated that I remove headgear indoors, but if she was to come up to me and comment (no matter how quietly), I would tell her that while I respect her comments, she should mind her own business. No one here is the self-appointed ettiiqute police. My mum always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.

No offence to you or your mum, and I have already indicated that I remove headgear indoors, but if she was to come up to me and comment (no matter how quietly), I would tell her that while I respect her comments, she should mind her own business. No one here is the self-appointed ettiiqute police. My mum always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.

You beat me to it!!;)

Do you heed your mum's advice?

I agree - it's also bad manners to scold people about their bad manners ;)

unfortunately in this day and age, it's also dangerous

I agree - it's also bad manners to scold people about their bad manners ;)

unfortunately in this day and age, it's also dangerous

I agree! It's one thing to have a conversation on manner's and whether or not something should/could be considered acceptable or not, and showing poor taste at the same time.

My brother chastised his SIL in public for starting her meal before everyone else was served... I told him that he shouldn't have done that in public. She simply didn't know, she had not been taught and he embarrassed her. Some people really don't know about some of these things, and don't think it's a big deal.

Personally, I could care less how other people dress or present themselves on a cruise ship or anywhere else for that matter. As long as they are not offensive or rude to anyone else personally, who cares. Some people need to get a grip - it's a vacation, they are not hurting you.

Having said that, I grew up with certain manners and values and pass those vales along to my children. As such, when I or my son enter a building, we remove our hats. I do it for myself, not for anyone else.

So, if you see me in the dining room, I will not have a hat on but the guy the next table over might and I don't care.

Exactly, I was taught to yes Mam or Sir or excuse me if you passed in front of somebody or hold a door open for a lady. I would not wear a hat in the dining room unless I thought I could piss off some of these high and mighty people who think they are to good to dine with some country bumpkin like me. You know this is going to be our first RCI cruise and I wonder if we made a mistake. I hope all the people we meet won't be so high and mighty and look down on people because they don't live up to their standards. I don't mean to come across as a jerk but my blood pressure go's up on some of these post of people that want to act like they are so much better than everybody else.

You know its funny cause I have told her over and over to let it go, that it is none of her business.. LOL She is 70 and set in her ways. She tends to speak her mind...

She also has always taught me the same as your mom. She thinks doing it politely and quietly is being nice.. LOL Oh well what can you do with them right? She is my mom and she is not going to change at this point in her life. Not much I can do.

I personally would never say anything, unless I know you and wanted to give you a hard time.. LOL

Could someone PLEASE tell me where it says *NO JEANS* in the dining room ???? Because I keep seeing that jeans are not allowed in the dining room and it's bad manners.... Please point out to me where the dress code states this as not being allowed.

And I quote....

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants

No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Windjammer Café

No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner

I agree! My brother chastised his SIL in public for starting her meal before everyone else was served... I told him that he shouldn't have done that in public. She simply didn't know, she had not been taught and he embarrassed her. Some people really don't know about some of these things, and don't think it's a big deal.

I agree, and if the person doesn't know, then it's a matter of explaining it to them.

We did have this at the table for two next to us on the Monarch last December. The first time he did this, his gf got him to take it off and put it on the table. The second time he kept it on AND TURNED IT BACKWARDS....double euwwww.

I think it's an age thing: I have to remind both my sons (25 and 30) to take their hats off in restaurants with me, and that's NOT the way they were taught manners from me, but that's what they picked up "post-Mom". They take them off for me, but I'm sure they wear them elsewhere.

We did have this at the table for two next to us on the Monarch last December. The first time he did this, his gf got him to take it off and put it on the table.
I think I'd rather see a hat on his head than on the table.....

In the grand scheme of things how truly important is it if one wears a hat in a dining room or not? We have global warming, terrorists causing major grief to our world and your country and ours is involved in a war where brave innocent lives are being taken almost daily.

I don't care if someone wears a hat, however, I do care a great deal about the way that they treat me and mine. We recently stayed at a B and B in NL where 5 loud and rude gentlemen were also staying. They were impeccably and properly dressed. We would have preferred 5 gentlemen wearing hats who knew how to behave properly.

JMHO

Dee

Thanks Dee. My point exactly. I am a very nice clean cut man that likes his hat every once in a while. For the people that would like to move as far away as possible. I hope you move to a table with an alcoholic with no table manners that spits when he talks!

And for the people that don't like hats because they feel like it is breaking a rule. I bet you are the same person that wakes up early to throw your shoes and towel on a poolside chair. I bet you cut people in line with the saying "excuse me, I'm just gonna sneak in here to grab a piece of fruit". I bet you debark the ship before your color tag is called. For all you hat haters - Gonna wear my hat every night on the next cruise, just to see the puss looks on your faces. You are obviously miserable people if you are concerned with other people so much. As far as saying something to a person with a hat - I bet I would ruin your cruise if you approached me with that nonsense! You don't dare approach a stranger - Its not your business, nor should it bother you.

You are obviously miserable people if you are concerned with other people so much. As far as saying something to a person with a hat - I bet I would ruin your cruise if you approached me with that nonsense! You don't dare approach a stranger - Its not your business, nor should it bother you.

Too bad 'miserable' people here can't be as pleasant as you.

You know its funny cause I have told her over and over to let it go, that it is none of her business.. LOL She is 70 and set in her ways. She tends to speak her mind...

My parents are the same way - they are both in their mid- 70's and I am sometimes mortified at the things that come out of their mouths. I had to try and keep my Dad in check on our last cruise - he is very outspoken when he gets angry!

My parents are the same way - they are both in their mid- 70's and I am sometimes mortified at the things that come out of their mouths. I had to try and keep my Dad in check on our last cruise - he is very outspoken when he gets angry!

Ah, but you're missing one of the few joys of getting older - we can get away with saying what we really think;) and everyone blames senility. (Not saying that that may not be a part of it :D ) Nancy

As the OP for this baseball cap/dining room question I thank you all for your comments. There were most certainly some comments that surprised me, although, I do know that there are those on the board with very strong opinions. I believe the moral of this story should probably be, go to the dining room, dress and conduct yourself in such a way that reflects your morals/standards, and hope you are seated with like-minded dinner partners.

Heres RCCL's Guest Conduct Policy(for what its worth).scroll down a bit......no caps in dining room,speciality restaurants and Windjammer at night......

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

Thank you for the quote. I don't know if I had read that before.

It did make me think of something though - how many of the people on the boards who get bent out of shape about someone wearing the wrong clothes to dinner smuggle alcohol onto the ship. Isn't breaking the rules - breaking the rules?

One more thought, since the rules do not specifically say you can not wear jeans, but does specifically state other items, how can everyone be so upset about jeans? I don't plan on wearing them to the dining room, but I am curious.

One more thought, since the rules do not specifically say you can not wear jeans, but does specifically state other items, how can everyone be so upset about jeans? I don't plan on wearing them to the dining room, but I am curious.

I'm one who's all for enforcing the rules about the dress code, but, I haven't seen anything on RCCL's website about no jeans. I don't think my DH would look at all appropriate wearing an untucked shirt, sneakers and Levis to the dining room. But put him in a NICE pair of the 'trendy' (not baggy, NO HOLES) type denim, a sharp-looking button down shirt, a good-looking pair of loafers and a dark sports jacket, he looks HOT.

Thank you for the quote. I don't know if I had read that before.

It did make me think of something though - how many of the people on the boards who get bent out of shape about someone wearing the wrong clothes to dinner smuggle alcohol onto the ship. Isn't breaking the rules - breaking the rules?

The people that are so apalled about those wearing ballcaps would never break a rule just ask them:D

The people that are so appalled about those wearing ballcaps would never break a rule just ask them:D

Hey neighbor! We have to go to Jackson to drop our kids at band camp before we head to our cruise in Aug. We will wave as we drive through.

Some of us don't mind hicks and flat landers.:D

Hey neighbor! We have to go to Jackson to drop our kids at band camp before we head to our cruise in Aug. We will wave as we drive through.

Some of us don't mind hicks and flat landers.:D

Where in Ohio are you from? Maybe I'll stand along Rt. 23 and wave to you:D

Where in Ohio are you from? Maybe I'll stand along Rt. 23 and wave to you:D

Just north of Columbus, in Dublin.

We will probably be at either the Ponderosa in Circleville or somewhere in Jackson for lunch after band camp when we pick up the kids. We have eaten in the Ponderosa the past two years.

Archived