Soda Card?

oraf7

I think the soda card is a good deal but my friend thinks expensive and you need to drink plenty of soda to make up for her 3 kids cards on the Crown.

Do you purchase the Soda Card. I plan to just for the convenience alone. How much are the sodas without the card? Do they include shirley temples?

I think for convenience sake when you have kids, it's worth it right there. Imagine how many times in a day one of those three kids is going to be asking for this drink and that drink and it would be great if you could just tell them to go and get their own or just order it from a server without having to worry about budget, signing chits, potential overcharging etc. That would get old REALLY fast to me on a vacation. I'd buy the cards and consider it a part of the cost of sailing.

The soda card is for "soda", it does not include a "Shirley Temple!"

I believe the sodas are $2.00. It may vary in the shows or at the fountain.

I ask for the can and a glass of ice (it gives me more drink!)

None of the ships have "caffiene free" diet coke, if that's important to you! I bring my own!!!!!!

The soda card price is linked to the length of the cruise. Just off the Caribbean Princess last week. The wife got a sticker for the 7-day cruise. For unlimited FOUNTAIN drinks and a souvenir thermal mug it was $31.80. We did the math and it pays for itself if you were to buy two sodas EVERY day of the cruise.

You can only get whatever Coke product comes out of the bartender’s “gun”. Anything else and you will be charged.

The soda card is for "soda", it does not include a "Shirley Temple!"

I believe the sodas are $2.00. It may vary in the shows or at the fountain.

I ask for the can and a glass of ice (it gives me more drink!)

None of the ships have "caffiene free" diet coke, if that's important to you! I bring my own!!!!!![/quote]

LOL Thanks for bring that one up, Roz! After spending my first cruise in a permanent jittery state I leaned my lesson. Now I bring my own caffeine-free diet soda and take it around with me in a protable mug. In the dining room I drink plain water or wine.

On our recent Royal Princess cruise my daughter found she could not get a Diet Coke in spite of great effort. What she got was "Coke Light" which all the waiters etc seemed to think was the same thing. Once she even wrote "Diet Coke, not Coke Light" on a slip of paper but what came back was Coke Light. We tried for Diet Coke in port in Valletta but again came up with Coke Light.

What's Coke Lite?

Kinda strange, the past two cruises I've been on, they always ask me if I want diet. Never mentioned Coke Lite. If they're asking me if I want diet, it sounds like Diet is the most commonly asked for soda (I only weigh about 130 right now so I clearly don't need diet soda).

"Diet Coke" is DIET Coke........

All cruise lines (who use coke products) carry Diet Coke........

Definitely a communication error on the part of the people serving your daughter.......however, they don't carry caffeine free and that is a mistake...... I love the taste of caffeine-free diet coke!

In most of Europe, coke light is considered diet coke. That's the way they label their diet coke. I didn't see any "diet coke" on my last trip to Paris. And I don't believe I saw any on my last European cruise. Usually "light coke"

I don't drink soda, so I don't buy the card. But, my husband is a big Diet Coke drinker, especially when it's hot and sunny. He'll drink 3 or 4 sodas a day, so the card is definitely worth it. It's the first thing he does when he boards (buy the card.)

He only uses when he walks up to the bar and gets a large glass straight from the bartender.

Coke Light is what you'll get in Europe. Tastes like Diet Coke to me!

But not to my daughter. This was not a communication error. There were few cans of Diet Coke on the Royal Princess on this med cruise (we did find 2). And none of the bar tenders, waiters, room service personel seemed to see any difference between the two products. This did seem to be a European thing.

On our recent Royal Princess cruise my daughter found she could not get a Diet Coke in spite of great effort. What she got was "Coke Light" which all the waiters etc seemed to think was the same thing. Once she even wrote "Diet Coke, not Coke Light" on a slip of paper but what came back was Coke Light. We tried for Diet Coke in port in Valletta but again came up with Coke Light.

In some countries, instead of calling it Diet, they call it Light. It is the same thing.

Diet Coke (sometimes known as Diet Coca-Cola) or Coca-Cola Light (sometimes known as Coke Light) is a sugar-free soft drink produced and distributed by The Coca-Cola Company. It was introduced in the United States in July 1982 as Diet Coca-Cola, and was the first new brand since 1886 to use the Coca-Cola trademark. The product quickly overtook Tab in sales.

Do they allow you to share the card? Maybe if two of us drank a few a day it would pay off. Do you know if they serve ided tea?

Iced tea was available in the dinning room on Royal P., don't know about elsewhere.

Iced tea was available in the dinning room on Royal P., don't know about elsewhere.

On most ships iced tea is available at the buffet all day long. My husband always seems to find it on any ship we have been on.

I prefer Pepsi. In fact, I really hate the taste of Diet Coke and Diet Sprite. Pepsi One (which is Diet Pepsi with one calorie) tastes better than any of them, at least to me. Brought on my own supply of Pepsi and Mountain Dew on my last few cruises.

I think the soda card is a good deal but my friend thinks expensive and you need to drink plenty of soda to make up for her 3 kids cards on the Crown.

Do you purchase the Soda Card. I plan to just for the convenience alone.

I will just offer another option - it does depend on how much soda you drink over the course of the cruise. We prefer to order a soda package from room service.

Our soda consumption can vary from day to day depending if it is a shore day or sea day and I think canned soda tastes better than fountain drinks. The soda package is 6 sodas for the price of 5 but I forgot what the current price is - maybe someone can help with this?:)

But not to my daughter. This was not a communication error. There were few cans of Diet Coke on the Royal Princess on this med cruise (we did find 2). And none of the bar tenders, waiters, room service personel seemed to see any difference between the two products. This did seem to be a European thing.

Coke product recipes tend to vary somewhat by country. Coke Light is probably the equivalent of Diet Coke, but may have a slightly different formulation. Some people might not notice the difference, some might, especially if it's the sweetener that varies (I know I can't drink Coke Zero, which I've seen people claim is almost indistinguishable from normal Coke because I'm one of those people that get a horrible after taste from the sweetener in it).

I know at one point the Coke museum in Atlanta had an exhibit where you could sample the different coke products from around the world. Some of them were noticeably different.

I think canned soda tastes better than fountain drinks.

Heh, a fair number of people would say that aluminum tends to make it taste worse :) (although it depends, if the mix is off on the fountain gun, it can be pretty bad). Personally I miss the glass bottles, that's the way coke should be. (Course, I also miss the pre new-coke coke recipe, the "coke classic" we have now isn't the same.)

Coke product recipes tend to vary somewhat by country. Coke Light is probably the equivalent of Diet Coke, but may have a slightly different formulation. Some people might not notice the difference, some might, especially if it's the sweetener that varies (I know I can't drink Coke Zero, which I've seen people claim is almost indistinguishable from normal Coke because I'm one of those people that get a horrible after taste from the sweetener in it).

I know at one point the Coke museum in Atlanta had an exhibit where you could sample the different coke products from around the world. Some of them were noticeably different.

Born and raised in Europe myself, I can confirm that the 'light' version of European Coke is, in effect, 'diet'. Americans will find the taste different because in Europe it is made with a different criteria, according to domestic requirements.

Archived