Just back from the Westerdam !

Jacqueline

This was our first HAL cruise and we were not dissapointed. Having been reading from this board for the last several months I knew what to expect-

A few quick observations;

Physical layout of the ship-

1) as has been noted, the colors that look jarring in photos are actually pleasant in person. The jewel tones look harsh reproduced in the computer photos I saw but are actually quite warm and cozy in person.

2) The spaces onboard are all on a very human scale. The lobby is very pretty- the three story atrium allows the dinner music to flow thru the central areas and creates and interesting visual with the waterford galleon hanging and rotating. Public rooms are a nice size but still feel intimate. Never a problem getting a seat in the showroom!

3) Good flow on decks two and three- all the public rooms are logically located so that one can move from one to the other without having to walk a mile.

4) great library and computer room. Also loved the large interactive computerized map !

5) no dead ends !

6) Plenty of public bathrooms. Unfortunately, they are very unattractive.

Our cabins-

We had an SS on deck nine and two A;s nearby. I found the size of the SS to be very nice- with ample storage for our 13 day cruise. The bedding was FANTASTIC. My daughters loved it !

Having a DVD library on board was great- huge selection.

We enjoyed having two desks on the cabin. My husband took the one by the window for his computer and I took the vanity. Balcony was great- I would only get a covered one at this point in my life. Found the other furniture in the room to be comfortable. It was nice to have one cabin large enough for the family to sit in together.

I loved the jacuzzi bathtub. Used it a lot. The size of the bathroom in the SS with a double sink, tub and shower is very nice. Only thing I hated was the finishes. Very prefab looking. No marble, granite or woods. This was true of the public bathrooms as well. Not up to those on other ships on Princess, X etc.

More to come !

We were SS8092. The deckplan I had did not show a connecting symbol, however it was. I believe we lost a closet where the door was. It did not end up being a problem as we stacked out suitcases there (they were too deep to go under the bed. Also stacked the lifepreservers there to make more room in the closets).

I will double check with DH but I remember one outlet on my vanity. I used this to charge the batteries on my digital camera and also to charge my cell phone. On the desk, near the window there was another outlet that DH used for his PC. There was another outlet next to this side of the bed as well. THese outlets were the regular voltage that we have in the US and I have encountered on all other ships/lines that are geared to american pax. I did bring an extension cord with extra outlets to be safe but did not need it.

Laff- I think you may prefer not being aft. The SS is very nice. Last summer I had a huge 700sqft plus cabin and I didnt feel deprived in this one.One of our fellow cc'ers got upgraded to one of these and she did not care for her A aft, from what I gather. A lot of debris fell onto her open balcony and it was not a problem that could be rectified. Also people can look right down and they arent covered. Of course there are lots of people that like open balconies and love the view. So its subjective as to what is best.

More narrative- On this trip was myself , my husband, our three children ages 16, 14, and 11 and my father. For the last 5 summers we have been doing family summer cruises.

We flew in the day of departure - for the first time ever. Generally, I like to build in a little extra time for safety and also to adjust to the time change. But a combination of constraints - namely time and money worked against this. Since the first day was Rotterdam, I figured worst case we catch up. Fortunately, this was not a problem !

Our flight left JFK on time at 9:30pm and we arrived at 9:30 am London time. American Airlines is quite nice now in coach with a lot of leg room and a two seat configuration (only window and aisle) on each side. Since we got our tickets months ago we had three rows in sequence. Also have individual tv's with pretty good movies. I slept most the flight with the help of a little ambien.

We used John Elliot Nasborro (Yourmaninlondon) last time as a driver. This time he was on vacation so his friend Paul met us at Heathrow and transported us directly to the port at Harwich, a few hours SE of London. It was a quick ride as we all slept.

We arrived and embarked very quickly. Our luggage also made it on almost right away ! While we were allowed to board, no one was to go to the cabins yet, so we were directed up to the Lido for the luncheon buffet. Of course no sooner did we get our lunch than the rooms were announced to be ready !

The first few days the kids who were in A's 8096 and 8098 did say that it would have been better not to have been so close to the elevators but they did get used to the Dinging...

Stewards- Our room steward did introduce himself right away and asked what seating we had for dinner. I will say that is the last time I saw him for 13 days. This was a very different system than I have had on other lines where the stewards acted as sentinals in the hallways, helping to open doors, letting me know where family members had come and gone, and taking small requests. I ended up calling the information line on the phone when I needed something (usually laundry bags or to get a room made up). It was more like a hotel set up than a cruise ship where one is accustomed to a more personal level of service.

On the other hand, the service in the dining room could not have been more personal.Our waiters learned the kids names right away and out preferences. The wine steward had our beverages ready for us every night and was always within range to provide additional ones with just a glance in his direction. The head steward, Hakim, spent time at our table every night and assured prompt service. There was a backup at the foodstations for the kids menu items since there were so many children on our cruise. For a while he was giving us copies of menus a day in advance so he could see if the kids wanted to order off the adult menu or preorder spaghetti/ chicken fingers, etc. Then he just started sending the favorites to our table ever night ! He always had a trick or something fun to share. Our table was 135 about as far from the kitchen as could be. Still everthing was hot and service was terrific. We complicated things by ordering multiple openers some nights, skipping other courses, and occasionally getting multiple entrees. Our preferences for coffee, decaf and milk were made the first night and we never had to state them again.

I found the food and service better than I had experienced on Celebrity Constellation in March (which is the top rated ship in their fleet and really and excellent vessel that I would sail again in a heartbeat). There was a better selection of entrees (usually 7) some great starters and then two other courses - soup and salad- which have not been consolidated. The only flaw was the lack of pasta entrees which we so enjoy on Princess. BTW we experinced no vibration at our aft table. While the sun when we were traveling East meant that some nights our curtain was closed we were still treated with some wonderful views- dolphins jumping in our wake- for example.

We were in SS8095---table 132 1st seating--

Our room steward NEVER introduced himself, even after I said something to several people---He ,also, didnt understand much english as I left him notes that were never done--but he still did a very good job!

I will remark on dissapointments as there were a few--

Entrertainment was DREADFUL to WONDERFUL--full cast shows were as good as any, but single entertainers ran the scale i.e.IMO

Food was what was expected--seem to get better 2nd week--do NOT like the evening choices if you didnt want to do DR---Lido,casual dining , is just that--menus are same as dining room---only alternative is pizza and pasta or room service(which we did last formal nite)FRANK

Very quiet at nite--which was ok but some nites choices were a little boring.

But my worse complaint is that we

HAD TO COME HOME

Coffee was very good (unlike Princess) and service was EXCELLENT--we had several entrees and courses every nite---

There was considerable problem with different depts not knowing what the other is doing--had a problem over tours , and front desk almost messed everything up but I just did it the way I knew would work--

FRANK

Next Installment -Entertainment

The CD Gary Walker assured a full program of activities. This was a very port intensive cruise and on sea days folks really needed to take some time off ! There were just 3 sea days out of 13 and many of the attractions were far from the port.

Every night there were strings in the Explorer's lounge. I really liked that they also had desserts there many nights. Also loved the painting of the port of Nieuw York. Really atmospheric. In the lobby lounge was another trio doing contemporary music and in the piano bar was Kory. Every night there was a movie or other activity in the Queen's lounge. Did not go to the show every night - but did see the production numbers. Very strong cast. They rehearsed for 6 weeks in LA prior to the cruise and it showed. I also really enjoyed Claude (singer). From what I gather their contracts are up on October and they are all leaving.

Gary's staff of assistants were very friendly and to be found all around the ship at night. They made a real effort to interact with pax more than I have ever seen on other lines.

My husband and I really enjoyed the piano bar, this is a nice feature that is not on any of the other lines that we have used in the past and a definite plus.

Front Office - Tour Desk

I spent a bit of time at the front desk to get DVDs for the kids. Compared to what I have seen on other lines they were awfully accomodating. Complaints such as a TA's booking wrong flights out and so forth seemed to have nothing to do with anything that HAL had done. From day one people were trying to take off the autotip (more on this later). My father was pickpocketed in Palermo and they were very helpful - he had not written down any information on his cards (for the first time ever) and they still easily placed all the calls (not at his expense). This really put his mind at ease as he almost had a heart attack when he realized his wallet was gone.

We did almost all independent touring and had most of our info ahead of time with us. Still, I thought I would avail myself of the onboard services of Barbara, the consultant for independent travelers. She is the only person that I would single out as being a disaster. The first time I went to ask for advice was in Vigo- I asked if she thought it would be worth a cab ride here to the town of Bayona. On the ports of call board past cruisers had mentioned to a pleasant place to walk and take in the charms of an old city center. Barbara haughtily informed me that unless I had a real appreciation for history this would be a wasted trip. She also told me to expect that it would cost 35Euros and hour for a cab. Well, since we exhausted the charms of Vigo by 1pm my dad and I thought we would venture out. I negotiated a flat rate of 30 Euros round trip with an hour wait time. When I say that Bayona was a town that was the very essence of Spain with great tapas bars and authentic shops in a large pedestrian walking area of the old city, it is in concert with my info from the ports pf call board. Knowing that this is the port where the Pinta returned after her trip to America neither added nor detracted from the charms of the afternoon.

I chalked this up to one bad piece of advice, but subsequent inquires were also met with more bad information. Other cruisers I met had similar experiences. What she did seem to be an expert at was booking independent vans and cars for people.

For the good planners that most cruise critic posters are this is not an obstacle, this is not a big impediment but it is a lost opportunity for HAL to create good will. In other words dont count on this service being any use to you.

Thank you for your very informative review on your Westerdam cruise. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm really glad you enjoyed (for the most part) your Holland America experience.

I won't see the ship until December and can't wait.

Jacqueline- Looking forward to the rest of your review! I was glancing over the tour alternatives for our Prinsendam trip next summer, and just about fell off my chair at the cost of the Private Car or Minivan options offered thru HAL. From what I could see they want between $1200 to $2200 for a car for a day, at least in the Baltic!!!!!!!! :eek: I know the price of gas is more expensive over there but still:rolleyes:........... There was also a note in the brochure that the price does not include admissions to the various attractions.....can't imagine many folks would consider this an option!

Hi Jacqueline...could you please tell me...how was the coffee? Details please because I'm the coffee in the a.m. or else kind of girl! I've been on a variety of Princess ships which as you know, the coffee is beyond repair. What did you think? Thanks

Mari

Mari- the coffee on HAL is just fantastic. I cuold not agree more about the terrible coffee on Princess. No matter where you are the Lido or the DR it tastes like the real thing- none of that coffee syrup junk.

Localady- you can do just fine with drivers and guides on your own with some planning. The HAL prices (which are comparable to Princess and Celebrity so I would not single out HAL as being any worse) are out of this world. A company like Red October or Denrus is your best bet for St Petersburg.

Mari -thats the other Jackie from NY- although I have used Kim in the past. I have sort of defected to another agent -Burbunny- ie Amber.

The beds and sheets on the Westerdam are heaven compared to those on the TP ! I have heard that they may have changed them since we were on ?

Just Back Ourselves, Ran Into Hurricane Charlie On Our Return.

I Agree, Barbara Was Alfull! She Gave Outdated Or Incorrect Information Every Port I Asked About. The Shore Excursion Group Were Totally Unresponsive To Any Complaints.

On The Plus Side We Had A Wonderful Cabin Steward And Hakim Was Great In The Dinning Room. The Food In The Pinnacle Grill Was Much Better Quality Than The Dinnig Room Fare.

We Hired A Private Driver At Half The Ports.

George In Lisbon Was Fantastic At 150 Euros For The Entire Day With 4 Of Us!

Port Highlights-

It was the first time the Westerdam sailed into its homeport of Rotterdam and we were treated to a grand welcome. Many family members and corporate people were touring onboard that day. There were also groups of singers and musicians playing folksongs at the pier. In addition, there was a huge Carribean festival in Rotterdam that day which made it a little tough on those of us taking the train to Amsterdam. As a result of the traffic, the last shuttle back to the ship was around 3pm making for a short day ! We made the most of it under sunny and warm skies.

Our sailaway was also very special as there was much celebrating - many local people came out to greet us on our long cruise out to the North Sea. Fireboats spouted water, other smaller craft rode along side of us. This was an exciting day for all ! We also took on in excess of 200 Dutch pax.

Le Havre- This port gives one access to many interesting sites... We loved our tour of the D-Day beaches with M Jacques Perreau, a native of Normandy and formally a professor of law in Paris. He has reseached the topic extensively and also met with many Americans who participated in the landings (including the rangers who climbed Point D'hoc) over the years. He is a bit of a celebrity in Normany and we were met with big hellos everywhere. Even though the ship was late in getting in we covered a lot of ground- an actual german bunker in the vicinity of the Canadian landing beaches, Pegasus bridge (the first point liberated in France) and the American beaches and cemetary. This was extremely well done and a highlight of our trip. We did not just see the beaches but Jacques presentation included maps and photos which enabled us to imagine the site on the actual day. Even my kids who thought it might be boring and were still jet lagged thought it was very interesting.

Lisbon was also a great suprise- we loved out trip to Sintra and would recommend Tours for You, a new vendor that we used.

Our final port (out of 10 or so!) was Athens just this Thursday. It was very exciting as we passed the QM2- very close ! She was already docked and protected by 2 warships. They took pictures of us and we took pictures of them ! As it got darker and we made out way to our berth, there were fireworks to celebrate the arrival of the Olympic flame. All were out on deck for this celebration. The Rotterdam pulled in alongside.

On Friday the ship transferred in a sense to the contract vendee for the duration of the olympic games. Many Russians are using the Westerdam as their home ship, including Vladimir Putin. There was a lot of uncertainty among the crew as to how things would be handled- for example production shows were contracted for but how, when and even of they were to be performed was in question. Dinner time was going to be 8pm and 11pm ! The wait staff was working on their Russian and menus were translated.

My husband, his brother and wife, and I were very pleased overall with this cruise. While it was port intensive, it was still relaxing as we almost always had the afternoons to relax.

The new beds get an A++. They were absolutely heaven. Hated to get up in the morning.

We had early sitting upper dining room close to the kitchen. Had no complaints about the food whatsoever. Our steward, Yunus, and his asst., Wawan were wonderful. We were also very impressed with our 2nd MaitreD, Agus. He knew our names right from the start. He also cleared off tables, helped serve, and even went to the kitchen to get me some steak sauce! Never have seen anyone in that position ever do those things before. Our steward commented on how much the wait staff liked really the current MaitreD (they didn't like the last one).

The Indonesian staff was great. In fact, I thought the whole staff was very friendly on this ship. Everyone always greeted you as they passed you in the hall, on the elevator, etc.

The only thing that bothered us about the dining room was the lack of adherence to the dress code by a couple of tables near us. It wasn't just a casual violation but rather a blatant one. This man would come in on informal night with a t-shirt and jeans. Flexibility is one thing but this man was ridiculous.

We enjoyed all the shows except for the comedic duo. The final stage production of "Stage and Screen" was exceptional in mho.

As others have said, it was very exciting to enter Pireaus and see the QM2 and all the other ships docked. On the way to the airport I got a glimpse of the Olympic flame as it was burning at the top of some columned building's staircase off the left side of the bus. Many people, TV cameras looking towards the top of the stairs. We also passed many of the Olympic venues.

We had a BB cabin towards the back of the ship. The room was very comfortable and quiet. Never heard a sound at night.

I'm having withdrawal from pizza. We had to have a least one slice every day. Best pizza I've had on a ship.

The Lido Deli was a pleasant surprize. Another new experience. We usually ate there for lunch each day.

We tried the Pinnacle restaurant and enjoyed that too. The Chocolate Volcano Cake was everything and more that I've heard about it. Pure Heaven.

As with every cruise, there are always some things that are not so good but they never come anywhere close to making it a bad trip. All cruises are great.

Archived