Tell me about Balconies!

Since I am the "balcony snob" who actually created the "balcony snob" and "suite snob" tags that you see all over the place here, I better chime in...lol. :D

I love balconies because it gives my husband and I a place to go after the kids are asleep. We don't have to tiptoe around the cabin and keep the TV on low. We just head outside and talk about our day.

I HAVE gone back to an outside view (just once on a last minute cruise) but I won't do it again....not after the balcony suite on Freedom. It was just too perfect.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/babymosmom/Freedom/IMG_0717.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='crusinmama06']I love balconies because it gives my husband and I a place to go after the kids are asleep. We don't have to tiptoe around the cabin and keep the TV on low. We just head outside and talk about our day. [/quote]That's why we "must have" a balcony right now -- it's a cheaper way of getting "a suite". We like to be able to separate a little from the kids sometimes (and dad doesn't like to be around when the girls are changing clothes), but because of money and safety we don't want to put them in a separate room.

However, I wouldn't say we're balcony snobs; in future years, when it's just we two again, we'll give up the balcony so that we can cruise more often.

[quote name='big al']EXACTLY how we feel.....there are idiots who do say, "next time we won't waste money on a balcony,because we never used it"....well,duh......or I read recently "the only difference between a balcony and an inside cabin is the view"..now THERE'S an intelligent answer..that's like saying the "only difference between Ruth Chris or Morton's and Denny's is the quality of the food and service"..gee-really???[/quote]It's also not true. A balcony room has more space, which -- if you have more than two people in the room -- really does matter. A balcony gives you a place to put the kids' pool toys and wet towels. A balcony gives you much more light, making the room seem bigger.

It's more than just the view!

Now, whether the price difference is worthwhile -- cost vs. value -- is subjective.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]1st cruise, inside cabin, 2nd cruise balcony, 3rd cruise Promonade view....every cruise in the future BALCONIES. There's nothing like sleeping with the balcony doors open and listening to the ocean outside...perfect.:p [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Voyager, 2000[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Navigator, 2003[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mariner, 2005[/FONT]

Coffee tastes better on a balcony, and so does wine. You feel richer, smarter, and better looking. Other people notice it, too, and remark how good you look. And you've never had such a good time painting your toenails, or doing nothing at all. It's just a "life enhancer"!!!:) :D

[quote name='IBookHePays']Coffee tastes better on a balcony, and so does wine. You feel richer, smarter, and better looking. Other people notice it, too, and remark how good you look. And you've never had such a good time painting your toenails, or doing nothing at all. It's just a "life enhancer"!!!:) :D[/quote]

LOL!! That is totally true!! I did feel all of those things. Even the cold coffee we received from room service tasted INCREDIBLE. And I did feel HOT.:cool: Every morning we started with coffee on the balcony with a pastry and after we woke up we would have bfast at the buffet. What a great way to start the day!:D :D

We had an ocean view stateroom on our 1st cruise, but have been hooked on balcony staterooms ever since. In my opinion, it's well worth the additional money! It's just so relaxing and peaceful, to the point where I have actually been lulled to sleep by the sound of the ocean waves.

Gotta chime in here.....
The problem with balconies is that once you get used to having one (and we've had one on just about every cruise), you become more discriminating. Eventually you decide that you want a "larger" balcony than the standard size,and then you begin to look for a hump, or an aft........ :D

I guess that statement allows me join the ranks of the "balcony snobs" ;)

But we do love a balcony for the many reasons stated here. We don't enjoy being on a crowded pool deck, we don't play Bingo or do a lot of the activities. Just give me a book and a balcony and I'm a happy cruiser!

It's simple for me-no balcony-no cruise. I would not cruise without one so I guess count me in for being a balcony snob. It is so worth the money. I don't have to have a JS (however it's really nice) but must have a balcony. If someone offered me a free cruise in an inside room I would have to pass.

Favorite memory from our balcony...

After eating at Chops, we were too full for dessert. We asked for one piece of the Chocolate Mud Pie "to go." We took the cherished pie to our cabin and placed it in our fridge. Later that night, around 1:30 am, we enjoyed the pie on our balcony. It was the best!! The sound of the waves were relaxing and the pie was to die for!! We still talk about this one little moment on our balcony as it was perfect! Clearly this memory would not have been the same staring out a window...go for the balcony! :)

I have been on several cruises and I have had an inside cabin a couple of times also an outside cabin, but never a balcony an I am looking forward to my first next year, What I am trying to find out is, is there privacy on the balcony or can the next room look in/on your balcony. I am going on Adventure of the Sea. Any suggestion on a floor or port side, aft side someone please respond Thanks :p

[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=magenta]NCCL-8/1990 BAHAMAS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff00ff]MAJESTY OF THE SEA-9/1999-EASTERN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff00ff]MONACH OF THE SEA-9/2000-SOUTHERN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff00ff]SOVEREIGN OF THE SEA-11/2002-BAHAMAS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff00ff]MAJESTY OF THE SEA-2/2005-BAHAMAS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff00ff]IMAGINATION-2/2007-EASTERN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

My first cruise was in an inside cabin as I didn't want to see outside and get seasick. The next one was an outside because I thought I would like to see outside.

My husband and I have been on many, many cruises and for the last many years, they have been with a balcony. Last year RCCL had a great JS price on Mariner, so we each paid about $100 and upgraded. Wow, now we are into the JS.

I would never be without a balcony at least, except if I did a 3-4 day, On that I probably could do an ocean view. The price for a JS on Sovereign is way too much for what's offered. Other than that a JS a minimum of a D1 is what we need.

Archived