Female Crewmembers?

Thanks for posting your message, I have only one question for you. People are saying that if a person Tips a steward an extra $20.00, the Steward might feel insulted. Can you tell me if this is true? I always tip extra in the middle of the cruise and they always have a smile. :)

Does Extra tipping help the crew? Is it an Insult to tip more?

Fred

I thought I read that too.... in fact it may have been one of the articles from Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis (Under The Captain's Table).

I thought I read that too.... in fact it may have been one of the articles from Joyce Gleeson-Adamidis (Under The Captain's Table).

It could of been Joyce, not sure, but Im guessing this Travel Guru was to cheap to tip more and always out for a freebee.

Fred

Just a couple of comments...

the question about so many Carnival ships having bridge officers from Italy.....most of the newer ships are being built at a shipyard in Italy...and I suspect that Carnival recruits from there for that reason. I believe that the officers are involved in the end stages of getting the ships ready for launch.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

John Heald mentioned that the captain who was on the freedom was there during the ship building, even before it sailed.

So I would tend to agree with the statement that Carnival recruits from Italia based on that statement.

It's now June 2007, and yes as a world society we've evolved from several hundred years ago when men sailed ships and women stayed home. We recently (9 cruises) had one of our finest dining experiences on the Carnival Liberty with a female Head Waitress from Hungary, absolutely an equal to her male colleagues, I won't mention her name so not to engage in the privacy issue stated previously. And so many other females in various positions all throughout cruise ships today, I'm not sure why I feel compelled to respond to such a ridiculous thread, it's not 1907.

It could of been Joyce, not sure, but Im guessing this Travel Guru was to cheap to tip more and always out for a freebee.

Fred

I've read these same comments about tipping and I agree with you, it's total BS. I worked my way through college on tips and I payed off student loans working nights for tips; I was never insulted by them. What can be insulting is the occasional condescending lout that thinks money can buy anything. I don't think a $20 tip falls in that category.

Regarding the question about so many Carnival ships having bridge officers from Italy.....most of the newer ships are being built at a shipyard in Italy...and I suspect that Carnival recruits from there for that reason. I believe that the officers are involved in the end stages of getting the ships ready for launch.

yup, Fincantieri

I have had the opportunity to encounter a few female employees on cruise ships. The list included a female: butler-NCL; concierge-NCL and RCCL; sommelier-RCCL; and of course room stewards, wait staff, telephone operators, children program coordinators, housekeeping, poolside workers, etc. which are common on NCL, Princess, and RCCL. The women are not as plentiful but they are present.

Joyce has great inside knowledge but has never worked in a position where tips make up the bulk of her salary.

Waiters, Bar staff & cabin stewards all earn a very small basic monthly wage & rely heavily on their tips to increase their earnings.

The captain, cruise staff & entertainers may be insulted by a tip but the rest of the crew will be delighted.

Waiters, Bar staff & cabin stewards all earn a very small basic monthly wage & rely heavily on their tips to increase their earnings.

Q. What will I earn?

A. Salaries are competitive with those in the marketplace. In general the range is between $1,000.00 and $1,700.00 US per month. Restaurant and House Staff wages are based on gratuities and can expect to earn $300.00 - $600.00 US per week.

from

http://modena.intergate.ca/business/jobship/

Cruise Director. Salary range: $3800-7500 U.S. per month

Captain Salary range: 5800-9800 U.S. dollars a month, depending on the cruise line.

from

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/

That's funny - because I said the same thing to DH a couple of cruises ago when there was a guy at the Purser's desk. It seemed odd to me at the time - because I had never seen a guy at the desk either...until then ;) .[/quote)

Personally I've seen a mix of men and women at the pursers desk. We've had female waiters/waitresses twice and they were quite good at their jobs. My guess on why the males are in the majority is the length of the service contracts, plus the fact that many (though by no means all) are from countries/societies that are still largely male dominated.

Please DO NOT post Real names of employee's it is an invasion of privacy and could put them in danger!

Just curious, what kind of danger?

On my Carnival Liberty sailing last month, the crew member in charge of my cabin was female, and her assistant was female. The head server for my table was female, and her assistant was female. I rarely have a need to visit the purser's desk during a cruise, but some repeated issues with S&S charges occurred, and each time I was assited by a male purser (two separate ones). There was 6-8 entertainers during several of the evening lounge shows who seemed to be employed because of their dancing talents. Each of them had a weiner, so I'd easily refer to them as male dancers. Not quite sure where the oxymoron is there.

Apparently my cruise vacations are on sailings that are far from the 'norm'. But had I a fantastic time anyway.

We had a beautiful russian girl as our room steward on the Destiny out of San Juan..she was really very good and very friendly..She met us at Carlos and Charlies in Aruba to have a drink with us and had on this fabulous mini-skirt..needless to say my bro-in-law and I had to get a picture of her standing between us......Dennis

Archived